Nikon 70-300 VR - Clicking/Movement in Viewfinder

jdag

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Nikon 70-300mm VR lens (on a D90) and am not sure if it is performing properly or not. This is difficult to explain (and show)...

Occasionally, and I cannot yet identify a pattern, I notice a brief clicking sound and "jagged" movement in the viewfinder as I depress the shutter release to focus. I generally have the VR on.

It is very brief and intermittent. The lens functions perfectly otherwise.

Is this normal? Any thoughts on what this might be?

That is your VR working.

There is usually a slight sound when the stabilization system (VR for Nikon, IS on Canon etc) engages or disengages. The system stabilizes the image against small movements...but when you move the camera/lens more than a little...the image might appear to jump. Also, when you first engage the VR system (pressing the shutter release) it might jump/lock a little bit.

As long as it does lock or settle into a fairly stable image and as long as the sounds doesn't get a lot louder...I wouldn't worry about anything.

I have the same lens on the same camera and it does the same thing.
I have been told it is normal although I have other VR lenses that I do not notice the issue with.
Otherwise I love the lens and the "issue" has yet to cause me to loose a picture.

Thanks for confirming...I felt and was hoping that was the case.

Captain IK - My other VR lens doesn't exhibit this either, so that's what had me concerned. But I think I am OK with it now.

I don't own one (thinking about it, though) and it could just be the added weight and more elements. That is to assume bigger is noisier. I can, occasionally, hear slight clicking my me (smaller) VR lenses.

I hear my VR click in and holding on my 80-400 when Im in Mode2 or, Full. WHich I rarely use I prefer Mode1 or when the shot fires myself. It doesnt eat as much juice that way.

Interesting, I have this lens and the 18-200 VR and I don't have that happen. I guess it just depends on the lens.

The image doesn't jump around on my 70-200mm, either, but you do hear the clicking of VR kicking in and shutting off. I think the image jumping around in the viewfinder is more prevalent in the longer lenses. When the first-gen 80-400 VR first came out, I was trying it out at the camera store, and the movement of that VR was so bad it was almost nauseating.

clean the contact points on the lense and camera dirty contact points will cause this.

Most reactions

Back