What's new

Nikon 80-200 f2.8 + Nikon D7000

Seeing as though the guy I bought the lens from told me that those buttons would function as AE-L/AF-L buttons, I don't feel bad asking this question. But hey, 90% of what you post on this forum must make you feel like a big strong man, so please continue doing so.
Well, I would normally say it was a great lens, and one well worth owning. Given the information you just gave, I would have walked away.

If the previous owner thought he could autofocus with those buttons, either the previous owner was a moron or it was stollen and the 'seller' had no idea how it worked. There just really aren't that many other alternatives

You, however, were the buyer. You had time to research it and check it out. Seriously, I'm baffled as to how you could complete a purchase for a lens in which neither the buyer or the seller knew how it worked or even if it was working properly.

It was not the original owner who sold it to me, it was someone who worked at a camera shop. I got a great deal on it - it was a lower price than I had seen anywhere online, and it is in excellent condition. Well worth owning. The only mystery to me was the 3 buttons on the lens of which he told me could be used to trigger autofocus. He was wrong.

Cheaper price, no knowledge...Still sounds like stolen merchandise to me. There are 0 camera lenses that I am aware of that focus by pushing a button on the lens. I am sure there are none by Nikon.
 
Well, I would normally say it was a great lens, and one well worth owning. Given the information you just gave, I would have walked away.

If the previous owner thought he could autofocus with those buttons, either the previous owner was a moron or it was stollen and the 'seller' had no idea how it worked. There just really aren't that many other alternatives

You, however, were the buyer. You had time to research it and check it out. Seriously, I'm baffled as to how you could complete a purchase for a lens in which neither the buyer or the seller knew how it worked or even if it was working properly.

It was not the original owner who sold it to me, it was someone who worked at a camera shop. I got a great deal on it - it was a lower price than I had seen anywhere online, and it is in excellent condition. Well worth owning. The only mystery to me was the 3 buttons on the lens of which he told me could be used to trigger autofocus. He was wrong.

Cheaper price, no knowledge...Still sounds like stolen merchandise to me. There are 0 camera lenses that I am aware of that focus by pushing a button on the lens. I am sure there are none by Nikon.

It was donated along with a Nikon F4 to a local camera shop, by someone who was friends with the owner. I shot it, along with the 70-200 f2.8, and saw little difference in quality, with about 1400 dollars difference in price. (and the one I have is not stabilized, but I can deal)
 
It was donated along with a Nikon F4 to a local camera shop, by someone who was friends with the owner. I shot it, along with the 70-200 f2.8, and saw little difference in quality, with about 1400 dollars difference in price. (and the one I have is not stabilized, but I can deal)

I agree with you there. The 80-200 2.8 is a much better value than the 70-200 2.8 VRII. It just surprises me that neither the buyer or seller knew how to operate it.
 
It was donated along with a Nikon F4 to a local camera shop, by someone who was friends with the owner. I shot it, along with the 70-200 f2.8, and saw little difference in quality, with about 1400 dollars difference in price. (and the one I have is not stabilized, but I can deal)

I agree with you there. The 80-200 2.8 is a much better value than the 70-200 2.8 VRII. It just surprises me that neither the buyer or seller knew how to operate it.

I learned pretty quickly what the function of the buttons were, but I was looking at them in the wrong way based on what the seller told me.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom