Nikon 85mm 1.8AF-S vs. Nikon 105mm 2.8D

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Currently, I have the 105mm 2.8D micro. It's a nice lens... but I almost NEVER use it as a macro lens... ever. Lately I've been doing a fair amount of portraiture, and have found myself wishing for a wider aperture than 2.8--which the 85mm 1.8AF-S would do. Would I regret the switch(in terms of IQ?) I can sell my 105mm for about the same price as a used 85mm. Thoughts? Would I even notice the difference between 85 @1.8 and 105 @ 2.8?

Jake

Since you have an 80-200 f2.8, the 105mm seems to be useless to you if you don't use the macro features.

I think you can't go wrong switching to the 85mm 1.8G. It's a very good lens.

Since you have an 80-200 f2.8, the 105mm seems to be useless to you if you don't use the macro features.

I think you can't go wrong switching to the 85mm 1.8G. It's a very good lens.

That's what I was thinking. Just wasn't sure if it made sense to others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, the difference in BG blur will be noticable, as will the speed of autofocus, which is the main drawback of using a macro lens for portraits. I am considering getting one of these also.

Yeah, the difference in BG blur will be noticable, as will the speed of autofocus, which is the main drawback of using a macro lens for portraits. I am considering getting one of these also.

I watched a review of the 85 1.8AF-S, and it was focusing quite well in low light too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 85 rocks for portraiture.... do the swap, you'll love it.

Most reactions

Back