Nikon 85mm f/1.8G picture/chat thread - share images and discuss this awesome lens...

BXPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So over on POTN (canon forum) they have specific threads for each lens where we share images and discuss the technical features/problems of each lens. I will start by saying I love this lens. It may focus a little slow and has some definite CA, but for the money it puts out awesome images. Here are some Ive taken with this lens lately

Lance's Hellaflush feature Shoot by BX | PHOTO, on Flickr

Sky and Kailynn by BX | PHOTO, on Flickr

Flair Test by BX | PHOTO, on Flickr

Skylers first field day by BX | PHOTO, on Flickr

Skyler by BX | PHOTO, on Flickr

Ay-nako aka David Torrella's LS430 by BX | PHOTO, on Flickr

Show me what you guys have taken with this lens. I have yet to use it on my D800, but that will be at the next shoot on wednesday.

Ah COOL!

I really want to see more of this lens and what it can do, I really am thinking the Sigma 85 1.4 will be a better bet. But I am intrigued by this lens and would love to see more, it's a bit cheaper that Sigma afterall.

Any headshots to share?

Nikon_Josh said:
Ah COOL!

I really want to see more of this lens and what it can do, I really am thinking the Sigma 85 1.4 will be a better bet. But I am intrigued by this lens and would love to see more, it's a bit cheaper that Sigma afterall.

Any headshots to share?

Not really many headshots. Although I do have a lot of experience with the sigma 85mm. I owned 2 copies of it when I was using Canon (up untill 4 weeks ago). It was an amazing lens when focus hit. But even after calibration it was still like a 70/30 shot. Both on my 5d mark II and 7d. I eventually ended up going with the 85L II which IMO is the best 85mm lens ever created. I'm still waiting for Nikon to give us some current f/1.2 primes. Check out my Flickr for examples of the sigma. The Marcie and Rodney set was almost 100% shot with the sigma. Being a full time photographer I cannot afford the missed shots. In low light the sigma fares even worse.

Looks good! I just got the new 28mm 1.8G and I am debating on getting all 3 of the new 1.8Gs. The 28mm 1.8g, 50mm 1.8g and 85mm 1.8g.

Just don't know which one I want next...

Personally I don like the 50mm f/1.8G. My wife uses it as her main work lens, but I just can't get into it. I'm a 35/85/135 kinda guy(holy trinity of primes). Still waiting on Nikons upcoming 135 f/1.8G. If it doesn't come out this year good chance I will go back to canon as this is a trial year for me with Nikon. The 135L is simply magic in full frame.

Nikon_Josh said:
Ah COOL!

Any headshots to share?

Not really many headshots. Although I do have a lot of experience with the sigma 85mm. I owned 2 copies of it when I was using Canon (up untill 4 weeks ago). It was an amazing lens when focus hit. But even after calibration it was still like a 70/30 shot. Both on my 5d mark II and 7d. I eventually ended up going with the 85L II which IMO is the best 85mm lens ever created. I'm still waiting for Nikon to give us some current f/1.2 primes. Check out my Flickr for examples of the sigma. The Marcie and Rodney set was almost 100% shot with the sigma. Being a full time photographer I cannot afford the missed shots. In low light the sigma fares even worse.

Thanks for the info, I checked out your Sigma 85 1.4 samples, great shots with it BTW. I have to say, I can't quite put my finger on it. But the Sigma seems to have some special and magical character to it that the Nikon dosen't have? I can't quite place my finger on the difference! Maybe I'm going mad.

But you personally find the Nikon matches the Sigma in terms of bokeh performance? This is one of my most crucial requirements as I will be using it mainly for portrait and close up work.

Bokeh of 1.4 to 1.8 just can't really be compared to be honest. I would have bought the Nikon 1.4 but it just didn't give me enough of a difference to justify the cost difference. AF accuracy is the most important factor to me currently. I can't afford to sit on the sigma lottery right now as I am in the middle of wedding/portrait/event season in Las Vegas. This winter when I take some time off I will purchase 2 copies of the sigma. Choose my favorite and send it out for calibration along with all of my bodies. The Bokeh and colors with the sigma are better than Nikons IMO, but it seems as though everything with Nikon is a little less contrasty compared to the canon equals. But that's a simple change in post so no biggie. But yes, I would take the Sigma 1.4 over the Nikons 1.4g if it's a good copy. Now if Nikon made a 1.2 there would be no question. The 85L and 135L are my most missed lenses right now and is making it hard for me to stay Nikon passed this trial year. Now comparing the sigma 85 to Nikons 85 1.8G... Well that's all based on budget and needs. AF speed is the same so that's not a variable.

Bokeh of 1.4 to 1.8 just can't really be compared to be honest. I would have bought the Nikon 1.4 but it just didn't give me enough of a difference to justify the cost difference. AF accuracy is the most important factor to me currently. I can't afford to sit on the sigma lottery right now as I am in the middle of wedding/portrait/event season in Las Vegas. This winter when I take some time off I will purchase 2 copies of the sigma. Choose my favorite and send it out for calibration along with all of my bodies. The Bokeh and colors with the sigma are better than Nikons IMO, but it seems as though everything with Nikon is a little less contrasty compared to the canon equals. But that's a simple change in post so no biggie. But yes, I would take the Sigma 1.4 over the Nikons 1.4g if it's a good copy. Now if Nikon made a 1.2 there would be no question. The 85L and 135L are my most missed lenses right now and is making it hard for me to stay Nikon passed this trial year. Now comparing the sigma 85 to Nikons 85 1.8G... Well that's all based on budget and needs. AF speed is the same so that's not a variable.

Interesting stuff!

Nikon has 135mm F2 lens though? This is considered nearly as good as the Canon version from what I have seen.

In a way. But it doesn't get the same colors, sharpness or AF speed. Just go through my stream and check out some of the images.... There's a reason why it's called The Lord of the Red Rings. Hopefully Nikons upcoming 135 f/1.8G is close to it.

Most reactions

Back