Nikon 85mm shake

Shehzad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi.i just entered in this profession,just done 3 events but I have no idea of use portrait lens properly.i just shift from Canon to Nikon,I have D610 with old model Tamron 24-70 or 85mm.
Before some days when I was done outdoor couple shot,shot was never done as I was expected.i face a problem who I explain as under.
When I was open lens aperture fully(1.8) for blur background purpose,I was disappointed when I was seen shot at my pc.
I noted that bride face was nearly focused but groom who was stand with bride was not focused properly or bride all dress was not sharp(blury).
Pls advise what I do for pin sharp couple shot with ,whose background will be blur(bokeh)
I use Nikon. 85 mm 1.8
I hope u guide mine
Take care

You should know about your depth of field (depth of acceptable focus) before you snap the shot. You can use an online DOF calculator to pre-determine what will be in focus.

Shooting a couple, you should have a DOF that is deep enough for both people to be in focus. With that lens, you should stop down to increase the DOF. You will need to know the distance to you subjects, as well as the focal length and aperture.

Here is the one I use:

Online Depth of Field Calculator

You should know about your depth of field (depth of acceptable focus) before you snap the shot. You can use an online DOF calculator to pre-determine what will be in focus.

Shooting a couple, you should have a DOF that is deep enough for both people to be in focus. With that lens, you should stop down to increase the DOF. You will need to know the distance to you subjects, as well as the focal length and aperture.

Here is the one I use:

Thanks but I can't understand,I m purely amateur.can you describe in simple world's..

Here is the one I use:

Thanks but I can't understand,I m purely amateur.can you describe in simple world's..
Your lens will not focus on everything at once. If you focus on the woman's eye, her ear will not be in focus, nor will her companion be in focus.

You can help this by selecting a smaller aperture, such as; f/8, for instance.

Focus immediately starts to fall off on either side of the focal plane. DOF is a range where the image is in acceptable focus. You want to constantly think of where you are going to set the focal plane, which will usually be around your subject's eye, forehead or nose . It is important for you to move others as close to the focal plane as you can get them. The farther away you are, the larger the DOF, which impacts your choice of lens. My personal favorite event lens is an 85mm f1.8, but I always have a 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 in my bag along with a nifty fifty. The smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field (don't go above f11 due to diffraction). Getting it right takes knowledge and experience. I recommend setting up a couple of mannequins and practice, practice, practice in varying types of natural light and with a flash equipped with a soft box.

Focus immediately starts to fall off on either side of the focal plane. DOF is a range where the image is in acceptable focus. You want to constantly think of where you are going to set the focal plane, which will usually be around your subject's eye, forehead or nose . It is important for you to move others as close to the focal plane as you can get them. The farther away you are, the larger the DOF, which impacts your choice of lens. My personal favorite event lens is an 85mm f1.8, but I always have a 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 in my bag along with a nifty fifty. The smaller the aperture, the greater the depth of field (don't go above f11 due to diffraction). Getting it right takes knowledge and experience. I recommend setting up a couple of mannequins and practice, practice, practice in varying types of natural light and with a flash equipped with a soft box.
So thanks really

Shezad, I just recently created a video that deals with your misconception. As others have said you cannot focus on different points in your image at once. You can only focus on one and then work with your aperture to get a bigger depth.
But if you want to blur the background as much as possible, your only chance is to have bride and groom in one plane (stand beside each other) - that get´s more difficult the longer your focal length.
Here is a link to the video - maybe it helps ;)

Shezad, I just recently created a video that deals with your misconception. As others have said you cannot focus on different points in your image at once. You can only focus on one and then work with your aperture to get a bigger depth.
But if you want to blur the background as much as possible, your only chance is to have bride and groom in one plane (stand beside each other) - that get´s more difficult the longer your focal length.
Here is a link to the video - maybe it helps ;)

O sooooo thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back