Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm

infowarrior45

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I am looking for some lens advice. I am purchasing the D7000, and I would like a longer lens than the 18-105mm kit lens. Here is what I hope to use this lens for :

Bird photography (primarily waterfowl)
Wildlife photography
Landscapes
Architecture

Wildlife is my primary objective here, so I am really looking for the longest lens possible....I can spend up to around $500. The Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm seemed to fit this description best. It certainly isn't the fastest or sharpest lens, but when used on a DX body like the D7000, it would give me a 450mm equivalent.

Any comments would be appreciated. For instance, what are your opinions on the Nikon 70-300mm VR lens? Is there a better lens option for me? Am I better off saving up my money ($1000 or so) until I can afford a faster or longer lens for bird photography?

Thanks!
Matt

I can vouch for the 18-105/70-300 combo as that's what I have. I don't get much into bird/wildlife, but I will say they're a very complimentary pair of lenses. For the landscapes & archi shots, I'd say you should eventually look at the Tokina 11-16 or Nikkor 10-24.

Saving $1000 won't get you any further haha. The F2.8 70~200 VR used lens is like $1500 or so.
I'd say for the budget, it is the best bet for now. Also, the lens isn't that new, so you should be able to get used ones for less money.

I have had the 70-300 VR lens for about a year. I have used it mostly on a D90 but recently on a D7000. My primary use for the lens is shooting radio control airplanes in flight, which isn't too far from your birds. I suspect that the airplanes move and maneuver somewhat faster than most birds. They're pretty close to but not as quick as swallows. I had been using the 55-200 VR I got with my D40 a few years ago. I had hoped that the 70-300 would give me a higher percentage of good in-focus shots as well as more reach. I have been somewhat disappointed in these expectations so far. There are several things to be learned about the camera-lens system when shooting with rapid panning and high magnification. My main problems have been (1) with the lens loosing focus and running to one focus extreme or the other, especial out at or near 300mm and (2) having the focus be somewhat off, again out between 200 and 300mm, even though the shutter fired. I've talked to other photographers at RC airplane meets and tried their suggestions. With the D90, when panning waiting for the right shot, tapping the shutter button to get focus every two or five seconds instead of holding focus contiuously seemed to help. With the D7000's dynamic focus capability that may not fit it so well. The other suggestion that seemed to help the most is to turn the VR off.

This raises the question of why spend the bucks for VR if it doesn't help. The older 70-300 lenses are a lot cheaper than the VR lens. If your shots are stationary or nearly so, the VR will help a lot if you need to shoot at lower shutter speeds. If you're panning fairly rapidly, like I have to, VR seems to be a negative.

All in all, I like the lens. When it's on (or when I'm on), it's real sharp and the colors are great. It just isn't the magic bullet I'd hoped for. I'm learning that magic bullets are darn hard to come by.

Nikon's AF-S 70-300 mm VR lens is one of their best lens values.

The AF 70-300 mm non-VR lens is a lot cheaper for a reason, much lower quality optics and a lower quality build.

I dont have much knowledge about Nikon cameras but I have found especially with birding and longer telephotos with anything moving its best to have faster glass. So at 300 f5.6 it will not focus very fast even on a clear day. For birding you need a fast zoom or prime at least f4 or faster. Im not saying the 70-300 won't work but the keeper rate will be less.

Most reactions

Back