Nikon all round lens

Check out the Nikon 16-85VR. I used it and the Nikon 70-300VR lens until I got tired of switching. Then I quit being super cheaper and started caring more about iq... but still only wanted lens to carry. On DX the Nikkor 24-120 F4 fit the bill. When you come 'round you'll find the same path.

Still looking for a non Nikon to do everything because of cost. I don't think it would make much difference as I'm not a pro. Any more suggestions?

to roughly translate an old saying: spoiled fish, ****ty soup. very applicable to various arenas, including photography.

Still looking for a non Nikon to do everything because of cost. I don't think it would make much difference as I'm not a pro. Any more suggestions?

http://www.google.com Because the lens suggestions given here have fallen on deaf ears.

depends where you will be, i took an 18-55 kit lens a 35 1.8 and a 105 2.8 macro to a trip with me. We were manily going into churches so i kept the 18-55 on it 90% of the time the 35 wasnt wide enough. When i am not going into buildings i leave the 35 1.8 on 90% of the time. A nikon 17-55 2.8 would be amazing but price wise its expensive.

I would say go for the 35 1.8 its PERFECT, sharp great focal length and the 18-55 u might already have is a perfect companion. You can definitely get one for $250. the 18-55 that u might have (as all d3100's come with it) is actually pretty nice for an all purpose lens too.

to roughly translate an old saying: spoiled fish, ****ty soup. very applicable to various arenas, including photography.
Ironically spoiled fish makes excellent Garum. Fish Sauce is another form of Garum and goes so damn tasty in soup.

Any segregation?

Not really... Racial segregation ended quite a while ago in the united states.

According to local news, some schools are starting to do gender segregated classrooms however.

There's always the old Nikon AF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 (although it doesn't have VR). I picked one up for $200 CDN used and am very happy with it. It is my general walk around lens for my Nikon D5100. Mine didn't come with a lens hood, but I quickly remedied that with a cheap $3 knock-off hood off of ebay.

You can look for a used / refurbished Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3. I think they go for $250-300 used. But its a little slower on the long end. But not so much that it isn't on my list of lenses I'd pick up if I saw a good deal. If you go for this, just make sure you get the version with the built-in autofocus motor.

Or there's the Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3. I think they go for $300-350 used. Same as above, slower on the long end and if you go for this, make sure you get the version with the built-in autofocus motor. This lens is also on my list of, if I saw a good deal . . .

Or if you don't need to go so wide or long you could get something like the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8. (~$400-450) But if you're going on vacation, I'm assuming that you might want to go wide to capture the vistas that you might see, so the 18mm might be useful. I've got this one. When I need to take pictures indoors and the lighting is not that ideal, this is the lens I go for.

Will it matter if I pick up a lens without VR? Like the Nikon AF-S 18-135mm G f3.5-5.6 ED Zoom Lens? Will I notice a difference as I'm using the standard 18-55mm vr lens which comes with the d3100?

Will it matter if I pick up a lens without VR? Like the Nikon AF-S 18-135mm G f3.5-5.6 ED Zoom Lens? Will I notice a difference as I'm using the standard 18-55mm vr lens which comes with the d3100?
Yes, the 18-135 is 80mm longer than the 18-55

Well I guess the question would be what kind of stuff would you be planning to shoot and what kind of zoom are you looking for?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back