Nikon and Canon

gtaylor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would make a person choose one over the other? I've seen this topic discussed hundreds of times, but I'm serious here.

Is the Canon system really a bit faster for action shots, and the Nikon system a bit better at color rendering?

Thanks if you want to jump in here.............

Personal preference and probably influences (people you talk to that shoot).

When I held a Nikon it felt right in my hands and the controls were natural, when I picked up a Canon it wasn't right.

Next person will be different.

Next person will be different.

Agreed. I felt the same way, except about Canon. The weight and shape felt right in my hands and the dual dial controls became second nature with almost no learning curve at all. So, I picked Canon.

But seriously, this spins out of control really quickly. Both make great cameras with their benefits and drawbacks. You'll find photographers in nearly every industry using both. Neither really has the technical market in any photographic industry. So, no forum thread is ever going to come to an objectively verifiable consensus.

Just go to your camera shop and see which one feels right in your hands.

This type of discussion has occurred every 1 sec ... based on global statistics.

There is no use comparing Companys ... questions like that cause turf wars.

The only reasonable comparison is between specific models.

I got a Canon because that's what all the cool people have.

Anyway...

Is the Canon system really a bit faster for action shots, and the Nikon system a bit better at color rendering?

It does seem like Canon has the upper hand in terms of telephoto lenses.
If it's not true, Canon lenses are certainly more visible on the sidelines.

I have heard that Canon always kinda sucked at wide angle lenses and that Nikon has the upper hand there.

*sigh*

BeatDeadHorse.gif

It's totally a personal choice at the amateur level.

Advanced amateurs may have a need for a feature or lens specific to one brand. Good macro photographers tend to shoot Canon because they make some killer macro lenses.

At the Pro level, many sports photographers have switched from Canon to Nikon since the D3 came out. Canon had some major quality issues (focusing) with their equivelent 1D MKII at that time.

But, the bottom line is RAW image quality and high ISO performance and at the top level, the flagship camera's, the best is........

Eyeyeyeyey... again... don't you people search?

Anyway, to address your question directly:
Nikon tends to have a very specific goal in colour rendering and seems to get it very consistent across their range of cameras. I've seen just as good colours from Canons as well.

Having used a bit of both (though mostly Nikon), Canons do somehow feel that little bit faster. Canon's autofocus is generally a bit faster across their range of lenses and I think it kicks in a little bit faster than Nikon's. That said, the Nikon only body I've used extensively is my own D40, though, Canon's entry-level cameras do seem faster.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is totally, utterly, perfectly, entirely, wholly, fully, quite, thoroughly, unreservedly; definitely, certainly, positively, unconditionally, categorically, unquestionably, undoubtedly, without (a) doubt, without question, surely, unequivocally; exactly, precisely, decisively, conclusively, manifestly, in every way, in every respect, one hundred percent the best answer I've ever seen regarding this "If I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times" question.

Colour scheme. Sorry but black camera with white lenses which have a red ring around them is ugly. Compared to Nikon's black with black and gold scheme. Girls like the man with fashion sense, so Nikon is the only way to go.

Most reactions

Back