Nikon announces mysterious 3rd new DSLR (D700 Replacement?)

Nikon reps have explicitly said in two separate interviews that the D800 sits ALONGSIDE the D700 in the lineup. This would make it sound as if it's not the replacement. They even said it at the revealing press release. So, I don't see why everyone, including the review sites, are saying that it's certain the D800 is the D700s replacement.

As for the next camera announcement, I'm going to say there's a 90% chance it's a DX D400, 35% chance its an FX D400, 10% chance it's a D700 replacement with D3s specs and sensor (though how I wish it were true!), and a 0% chance it's the D7100. That will be for August. I would say Nikon is going to announce the D400 in the spring, and the D7100 and D3200 in the fall. This will give them 5 new bodies for this year.

Mark

Some good comments Mark. I'm not much at math, but your chances in percentages add up to 135% in total...

Yes, Nikon reps have stated that the D800 is NOT the replacement for the D700. HOWEVER, we need to think back to the D7000 DX body announcement----Nikon stated that the D7000 was NOT THE REPLACEMENT for the D90.....hmmmm...putting one and one together....I'm going to venture a guess that the new HIGH-END CONSUMER body, ie, the D90's replacement, will be the next announcement. Not the D300s's replacement, but a really nice,nice, high-end DX camera body that has a bigger, better viewfinder than the D7000 has, with more features and much more of a high-end "enthusiast camera" ethos to it. I consider the D300s to be a pro-backup type of camera, and Nikon itself and NPS consider the D300s a "pro" Nikon...

Thom Hogan's idea that there needs to be a body between the D7000 and the D800 bodies is of course, pretty simple marketing; that big of a price gap simply can NOT be allowed to exist. So, I am looking for a D90 follow-up to be announced very soon.

Derrel said:
Thom Hogan's idea that there needs to be a body between the D7000 and the D800 bodies is of course, pretty simple marketing; that big of a price gap simply can NOT be allowed to exist. So, I am looking for a D90 follow-up to be announced very soon.

What... a D90 replacement would sit between the D7000 and the D800? I would think the D90 replacement would sit under the D7000 replacement.

I thought it was a done deal that the D400 would be released in 1st 1/2 of 2012. Or was I reading the wrong rumours?

Rumors are usually, well, just rumors :)

But... rumours aren't usually just rumours... Remember the D800's "rumored" 36 megapixel sensor? Well that turned out toe be completely true.

And how many wrong D800 rumors were there before that one?
Usually rumors that leak out after the equipment goes to production are the accurate ones.

SCraig said:
Cool. Maybe that means they are starting to restock again.

I decided a few weeks ago that I was interested in a D7000. I looked at B&H: None. Adorama: None. Midwest Photo Exchange: None. Local Dealer: None. Called MPEX and was told that everything was on the backorder list. Looked at the same dealers again and they had NOTHING in stock except the D3000 / 3100 and D5000 / 5100. That was it. I looked again a week or so later and it was still the same. That's when I started This Topic and got a little input.

The place I bought my D700 has D7000 kit available. I got it at allenscamera.com. I'll be buying from them again since I didn't have to pay tax. As an NY resident I have to pay our high sales tax when I buy from B&H or Adorama.

SCraig said:
Cool. Maybe that means they are starting to restock again.

I decided a few weeks ago that I was interested in a D7000. I looked at B&H: None. Adorama: None. Midwest Photo Exchange: None. Local Dealer: None. Called MPEX and was told that everything was on the backorder list. Looked at the same dealers again and they had NOTHING in stock except the D3000 / 3100 and D5000 / 5100. That was it. I looked again a week or so later and it was still the same. That's when I started This Topic and got a little input.

The place I bought my D700 has D7000 kit available. I got it at allenscamera.com. I'll be buying from them again since I didn't have to pay tax. As an NY resident I have to pay our high sales tax when I buy from B&H or Adorama.

eek.gif

Putting a new d90 body would be sorta crazy if you ask me. Nikon would be splitting their markets too thin. The d7000 is already way too close to the d300 level as it is... So I guess they're already making that mistake, so it wouldn't surprise me if they went all in on this dumb approach.

Yeah I know I'm not a Nikon executive or anything close, but I know cameras and I've been on the earth long enough to see companies in many industries do this and suffer for it (most notably auto manufacturers)

Derrel said:

What... a D90 replacement would sit between the D7000 and the D800? I would think the D90 replacement would sit under the D7000 replacement.

How would it sit under the d7000 considering how they number their lineup. Dx, Dxxx, Dxx, Dxxxx. Unless they are completely ditching the 2 number lineup.

No I don't think the d90 sits above the d7000, but its successor might...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back