Nikon announces Z5

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This AM I received a very well-done ad from Nikon on my phone. It highlighted the many features of their newly-announced Z5. 24.3 MP FX sensor, 5-axis in- body image stabilization, wireless connectivity, 20 in -camera image editing filters, etc.

Last edited:
Yeah , on pre-order here too.

20 inch camera filter! 20 image filters in the camera?... I had a hard time with that one. :allteeth: It is a very nice camera indeed. I recently tried to take photo that my camera was not able to produce due to ISO limitations. I may be in the market for a new camera. Thanks for the info =]

Screenshot_20200721-213449_Chrome.jpg

Pricey and ill-timed...

In full-frame mirrorless, $1,399 is not pricey. No idea what you're on about... $1399 would be pricey for an APS-C Fuji with mushy pixels.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, all this talk of FF mirrorless is really getting me thinking. I certainly don't need one but the cravings are starting:BangHead::BangHead:

Pricey and ill-timed...

In full-frame mirrorless, $1,399 is not pricey. No idea what you're on about... $1399 would be pricey for an APS-C Fuji with mushy pixels.

It's 1,900CAD$. Current N. American headlines aren't exactly prompting a spend-a-thon, at least not in my 'hood. Yours likely isn't any better. Specs are plainly attractive but in the uncertainties of the mid-2020 market? The Z mount/mirrorless move is looking all wrong, especially now, and just underscores the unavoidable view that Nikon diddled around too long with its new system.

Got the promotion package from Nikon and went through it carefully and looked at a couple of reviews from their sponsored pros and I am hopefully excited, but I urge caution at this point. First, let me say I am heavily invested in Nikon. My go to cameras are a D500 for wildlife / birding / sports, a D850 for everything else, and have quite a bit of their more high end glass. I love my Nikon gear. I urge caution because Nikon is almost always late with new roll outs and start by shipping limited number of units. Remember how late the D850 was readily available compared to their announcements? The sponsored pro reviews disturbed me as I heard, "I can't discuss this right now" too many times usually meaning their prototype cameras had flaws Nikon didn't want them to talk about. The promotional material is missing a key item in their spec, namely fps. Others have speculated 4.5 fps to 6 fps, but I couldn't find it on the Nikon page. For me, that's a critical number for wildlife / birding and sports photography. I am concerned they are taking pre-orders without posting the complete spec. Seems a bit shady to me. I will wait and see what the unbiased reviewers have to say before deciding to buy or not. It will be tough for Nikon to compete with Sony at this point in mirrorless technology, and maybe even with Canon's R5, but I am hopeful. If it's as good as it looks, I might buy my first mirrorless body.

Pricey and ill-timed...

It's 1,900CAD$. Current N. American headlines aren't exactly prompting a spend-a-thon, at least not in my 'hood. Yours likely isn't any better. Specs are plainly attractive but in the uncertainties of the mid-2020 market? The Z mount/mirrorless move is looking all wrong, especially now, and just underscores the unavoidable view that Nikon diddled around too long with its new system.

My hood is a reasonably well-off town...I work about 1.5 miles from Happy Valley, Oregon. Know for big houses and explosive growth in the early 2000's, it was once filled with the highest per-capita percentage of millionaires in the USA...across the river is Lake Oswego...the definition of a rich, white, enclave. In the USA the camera is premiering at $1,399...it's not my fault that the price is nearly two thousand Canuckian dollars.

How much is the Sony A7R equivalent in your area? Expensive is relative....to the person who earns $4,000 a month, $1,399 is not overly expensive.

1 399 USD is a really nice price!

Where I live it's 2 400 USD for the Z5 with the new kit-lens (24-50), 2 630 USD with kit-lens and FTZ-adapter. I don't think they will sell any, as this is even more expensive than the Z6.

Pricey and ill-timed...

My hood is a reasonably well-off town...I work about 1.5 miles from Happy Valley, Oregon. Know for big houses and explosive growth in the early 2000's, it was once filled with the highest per-capita percentage of millionaires in the USA...across the river is Lake Oswego...the definition of a rich, white, enclave. In the USA the camera is premiering at $1,399...it's not my fault that the price is nearly two thousand Canuckian dollars.

How much is the Sony A7R equivalent in your area? Expensive is relative....to the person who earns $4,000 a month, $1,399 is not overly expensive.
Pricey and ill-timed...

Any smoke-and-water damage Nikon deals in Portland?

Before you place your order take a look at this vlog:

The Angry Tattoo speaks! He cracks me up. Such a braggart.

Most reactions

Back