Nikon backorders. Time to change to Sony or Canon?

ScubaVinny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. Well as I am sure everyone knows, Nikon is having production issues which seem to go beyond Covid. I currently have a Nikon D500 and have a good amount of lenses. I ordered a Nikon D6 a month ago and it sounds like it may never come with Nikon's issues. So here is my question. Is it time to change manufacturers? I typically do wildlife photography and use telephoto lenses. What would be the Nikon D6 equivalent in Sony and Canon? Would moving to mirrorless be better? I have just always used Nikon and finding out they may have ongoing issues in the future, I am not sure it's a good idea to buy a camera like the D6 at this point. Especially if I won't get it for a very long time. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

B and H lists it as a 2 to 4 week wait. Not that long for a 6 grand purchase IMHO.

B and H lists it as a 2 to 4 week wait. Not that long for a 6 grand purchase IMHO.
Unfortunately, it said that over a month ago when I put in the order. I'll probably call them tomorrow.

It’s a personal choice. Nikon has traditionally had problems delivering new gear. I picked up my D850 the day it got to my large local brick and mortar photography store, way after the announcement and Nikon started shipping. They just underestimated the popularity of the camera and could not deliver in a timely fashion. It’s just not Nikon re-organizing their manufacturing facilities, but the pandemic and chip shortages compounding delivery issues with almost all manufacturers.

My passion is nature / wildlife especially birding. I use a D850 when I can fill the frame with my subject and a D500 when I can’t. My go to glass is a Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6, Nikon 600mm f/4G and a 1.4x Tele converter. I have put my pre-order in for a Z9 knowing I won’t get it until the middle of next year. The rumors are Nikon took 40,000 pre-orders for the Z9 and can make 3500 per month, or a backlog of almost a year. I’m staying with Nikon - for now because I like their cameras, especially how they feel in my hand, the reliability, ruggedness, and to be able to use my dslr glass.

Last edited:
Nikon aren't on their own with delayed production, Covid, electronic chip shortage and logistics are all to blame for the delay, everyone has the same problems at the moment.
This. I recently purchased a new truck and decided to take one from the dealer's low inventory as the wait time for a factory order was running 6 to 8 weeks (I needed the truck sooner than that).

Hi Everyone. Well as I am sure everyone knows, Nikon is having production issues which seem to go beyond Covid. I currently have a Nikon D500 and have a good amount of lenses. I ordered a Nikon D6 a month ago and it sounds like it may never come with Nikon's issues. So here is my question. Is it time to change manufacturers? I typically do wildlife photography and use telephoto lenses. What would be the Nikon D6 equivalent in Sony and Canon? Would moving to mirrorless be better? I have just always used Nikon and finding out they may have ongoing issues in the future, I am not sure it's a good idea to buy a camera like the D6 at this point. Especially if I won't get it for a very long time. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Stick with Nikon!!!

Most reactions

Back