Nikon body's

unkes60

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All!

I am just wondering..and I admit this maybe a stupid question, but I like to think there is no such thing. Here it goes.. I have a Nikon D50. I have quite a few weddings booked this summer and I am pretty sure I should have a back up body just in case. (NOt to mention, the ease of haveing two cameras so no switching lenses required) Now I wish I could go and get a D3, but I just can't afford that right now. So, I'm thinking of getting a D60 or D70. Both of which I found very good prices on. I don't want to spend to much, so that I can save up for my D3 :) But, I do need something. What is better? a D60 or D70? I would assume with out any knowledge, the D70, but they only seem to have 6mpx and the D60's have around 10. And I am pretty sure they don't even make a D70 anymore.

Also, any ideas on a fairly fast lens for a Nikon? I cant help but notice thier all pretty slow. An F/4 with VR is fine if your not shooting a moving object but if the object itself is moving, VR. Doesn't really seem to help..

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
-Stephanie

Hey Stephanie,

A D70 would be a better choice for a couple of reasons.

1. I prefer the bigger feel of the D70, to me the D60 doesnt have enough to hold onto.

2. The D60 has no internal lens motor, so nothing to auto focus a lens that doesnt have its own motor. For this reason, you will only be able to use Nikon lenses that are marked with an AF-S. Sigma does do a good job of making a few lenses to bridge the gap. With the D70 you'll be able to use AF lenses.

Which leads to my next point, some fast lenses for a Nikon that are pretty easy on your bank account are the 50 1.8 or 50 1.4. This lens is a must, but won't auto focus on the D60. For this you would need to drop 6 hundred on the AF-S 1.4 G. So theres a reason to stay away from the D60 already.

Anyways, the reason why you dont see any fast lenses from Nikon is most likely because you're only looking at the entry to mid - range DX lenses.

Some of the best and fastest Nikon lenses include the 85 - 1.4, 70-200 2.8, 24-70 2.8 and so on. These lenses will all cost you well over a thousand dollars.

Hope that helps, ask again If I missed anything..

Welcome to the forum Stephanie.

The D70 is a bit outdated but probably still a good camera. The D60 is newer but I don't know how they stack up in terms of image quality...usually the newer cameras get better with the improvement in technology. One thing to keep in mind is that the D60 (along with the D40) does not have an internal focus motor...so you may want to keep that in mind.

Most wedding photographers will tell you that 'fast' lenses are a necessity. F2.8 for zoom lenses and maybe some prime (non zoom) lenses in the range of F1.8 or F1.4 etc.

Since you have 'quite a few weddings booked'...I suggest you make an investment in your gear so that you are better equipped to provide your clients with a quality product. Not that gear will improve your photography on it's own...but it can certainly help.

(and don't bother dreaming about the D3...the D700 is practically as good and much cheaper ;) )

I second the call for the D70, mainly because it will be more flexible with lenses that you probably already own. Don't worry at all about 6 MP vs 10 MP -- there's hardly any visible difference in print quality at 8x10 or less. I can show you the numbers on that claim if you really want.

D60: Better sensor and better screen.

D70: Everything else is better. The D70 is more durable, and will last twice as long (rated for twice the shutter actuations) than the D60. In addition, it sports Nikons CLS system and better handling.

Some lenses that are required for professionally shooting a wedding:

18-50mmish F2.8
70(or 80)-200mm F2.8
50mm F1.8 or 1.4 prime
28 or 24mm F1.8 prime.

That's probably the bare minimum you could get away with while shooting a wedding, if that.

Some lenses that are required for professionally shooting a wedding:

18-50mmish F2.8
70(or 80)-200mm F2.8
50mm F1.8 or 1.4 prime
28 or 24mm F1.8 prime.

That's probably the bare minimum you could get away with while shooting a wedding, if that.
I wouldn't go that far. A good photographer would be able to shoot an entire wedding with only a 50mm lens. Or even a standard zoom...it doesn't even need to be a fast lens, if you have or can create adequate lighting.

I would certainly recommend any/all of those lenses though.

Most reactions

Back