Nikon/Canon dilemma.

CoolPics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I've got a problem. I've always used Canon, and just feel more comfortable with Canon. I decided the camera I was going to save up for (the 60D), and was saving up for it when my uncle gave me his old Nikon D70. Now, I realize the 60D is going to be much better, but I felt like the D70 was doing a great job, so I stopped saving up for a 60D. Now, the Nikon is giving me some problems that are not good. It keeps saying that the CF card isn't formatted, even though I have formatted it before, and there's a lot of pictures on there I can't reach because it says it's not formatted and there's nothing on it.

Anyway, I've decided to probably save up for the 60D again, because the Nikon is giving me problems. Thing is, he gave me 2 lenses with the Nikon, and they would be unusable with a Canon. Also, I'm going to be doing some food photography for a book, and need a new lens for that. I figured out which one I'm getting, but if I buy the Nikon lens, then next year get a Canon.... all my money on the lens, as well as the other lenses, goes to waste. What do I do? I don't really want a Nikon, because I've done in-depth research on the Canon and know it's just what I want. What do you recommend?

Lol....I would say get the Canon if it is what you want. Use the Nikon as a second camera system or just sell the Nikon and Lenses and add it to your saving and get the Canon and a lens with the money you'd make. Have you only tried accessing that card from the camera or have you used a card reader or straight into the computer? Just make sure you don't format it now until you get the issue worked out or those pictures will be gone.

I mean, I really want the 60D, but I don't want to have to start over on my "lens collection".

Thanks, ABJayce! I think that's what I'll do.

About the card, I've done both. It seems to have the most problems when I plug the camera into the computer, but it also sometimes has problems on the card reader.

If you are more comfortable with Canon I would stick with it. It it doesn't feel right to you, you are not going to want to use it.

If you switch to Nikon you won't be happy with the decision. Being comfortable with the camera you use is one of the overlooked important parts of photography.

So, I've got a problem. I've always used Canon, and just feel more comfortable with Canon. I decided the camera I was going to save up for (the 60D), and was saving up for it when my uncle gave me his old Nikon D70. Now, I realize the 60D is going to be much better, but I felt like the D70 was doing a great job, so I stopped saving up for a 60D. Now, the Nikon is giving me some problems that are not good. It keeps saying that the CF card isn't formatted, even though I have formatted it before, and there's a lot of pictures on there I can't reach because it says it's not formatted and there's nothing on it.

Anyway, I've decided to probably save up for the 60D again, because the Nikon is giving me problems. Thing is, he gave me 2 lenses with the Nikon, and they would be unusable with a Canon. Also, I'm going to be doing some food photography for a book, and need a new lens for that. I figured out which one I'm getting, but if I buy the Nikon lens, then next year get a Canon.... all my money on the lens, as well as the other lenses, goes to waste. What do I do? I don't really want a Nikon, because I've done in-depth research on the Canon and know it's just what I want. What do you recommend?

If you have always used Canon... don't you have Canon lenses also?

Sell the Nikon stuff... buy what you want!

cgipson1, I'm only a teen. Before my D70, I had a Canon Rebel XTi that had one 18-55mm lens. It was... well, not the best camera. Before that, I was using a Canon Powershot SX120IS. So, I have been photographing for a while, but I have only had 1 DSLR before.

cgipson1, I'm only a teen. Before my D70, I had a Canon Rebel XTi that had one 18-55mm lens. It was... well, not the best camera. Before that, I was using a Canon Powershot SX120IS. So, I have been photographing for a while, but I have only had 1 DSLR before.

Still... sell the Nikon gear then.. buy what you want. So you didn't like the Canon you had... now have a Nikon.... but still want to go back to Canon. Cool!

Sounds like a bad card to me.... cards can go bad! Keep them away from heat, magnets, speakers, etc! Have you checked the D70 with another card? Also look in the card slot, and make sure that there aren't any bent pins.

Last edited:
Two Nikon users are telling you to stick with Canon, I think it might be a cold day in hell! lol

But seriously stick I don't see too much of a long term advantage for you switching to Nikon, not that its not capable, just unnecessary.

I understand that you can use an adaptor to fit Nikon lenses to a Canon body, just a thought.

Two Nikon users are telling you to stick with Canon, I think it might be a cold day in hell! lol

But seriously stick I don't see too much of a long term advantage for you switching to Nikon, not that its not capable, just unnecessary.

I'm just telling her to get what she wants... Not that it is the best choice! lol!

Last edited:
The issue with the CF card is more likely to be the card, than the Nikon D70.

How old and what brand is the CF card?

Most reactions

Back