Nikon CLS

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can anyone give an explanation (or provide a link) explaining how the Nikon CLS system works. How do the flashes have to be set up in respect to line of sight with the camera, subject, other flashes, etc?

Thanks!

The question is for a friend, not me so I don't have the manuals and I did a few Google searches and couldn't find a suitable answer.

Have some faith... if the answer was right around the corner I wouldn't bother posting. ;)

For wireless, the flashes have to be within 30 degrees to either side of the centerline of the lens, and within 33' in the center, and 16-23' to the sides (per camera and flash manuals).

The flash bodies have to be turned so the sensor in the flash body point towards the camera body / master flash. The heads swivel so you have have the flashes right or left of the camera and have the body light sensor point towards the camera.

Have some faith... if the answer was right around the corner I wouldn't bother posting. ;)

Ok, again... I've been on this forum long enough to know that I should do the basic searches before asking. I said I looked on Google and yes, I saw that article. If you read the article you see that the author specifically states:

"However, they could have gone one step further and produced a marketing-aimed CLS manual that would introduce all features of the system and then further explain..."

"I only wish Nikon could explain in detail and layman's terms how the system operates..."

"One does not get full information on the CLS in any one place. Camera manuals only briefly mention the system's features...".

Sorry but "Google it" is SUCH a lame answer on a forum. Isn't the entire point of a forum the ability to ask other photographs exact questions and get exact, informed answers rather than sifting through tons of hits?

Ok... so hopefully I've validated my question enough for everyone and after 5 posts I can actually get some useful information on positioning restrictions when using CLS.

For wireless, the flashes have to be within 30 degrees to either side of the centerline of the lens, and within 33' in the center, and 16-23' to the sides (per camera and flash manuals).

The flash bodies have to be turned so the sensor in the flash body point towards the camera body / master flash. The heads swivel so you have have the flashes right or left of the camera and have the body light sensor point towards the camera.

Thank you!!

Have some faith... if the answer was right around the corner I wouldn't bother posting.
Oh... really... lol:

how does nikon cls work - Google Search

YouTube - nikon cls system

Flickr: Search for a group

And there was the link that I provided. If it was for a friend, did he not have the manuals? I have an answer for that too.
The manuals from every Nikon product from the 70's to the present:
Download-Center

Rather than have us cut and paste info from these links, it would be courteous of you to have gone there directly or helped your friend go to these links him or herself. :)

If you have a specific question, I am comfortable with CLS and would be happy to answer. Asking us to write a book on the basics of how it works... THAT is a little lazy. The answer is there many times over, please make the small effort.

Last edited:
Have some faith... if the answer was right around the corner I wouldn't bother posting.
Oh... really... lol:

And there was the link that I provided. If it was for a friend, did he not have the manuals? I have an answer for that too.
Download-Center

Rather than have us cut and paste info from these links, it would be courteous of you to have gone there directly or helped your friend go to these links him or herself. :)

If you have a specific question, I am comfortable with CLS and would be happy to answer. Asking us to write a book on the basics of how it works... THAT is lame... and a little lazy. The answer is there, if someone doesn't want to click a few links and read there... wow, thats sad.

I'm at work and can't access those sites, especially Youtube so I resent the judgmental comments about being rude and lazy. Don't be so arrogant to assume you know what my situation is.

Also, as I've previously stated, I feel like "Check your manual" and "Google it" are lame responses so I'm not going to give them to my friend.

Wow... didn't realize I'd get this much crap for asking a question. Thanks for the help Jerry, you've proved your worth.

Oh... really... lol:

Download-Center

If you have a specific question, I am comfortable with CLS and would be happy to answer. Asking us to write a book on the basics of how it works... THAT is lame... and a little lazy. The answer is there, if someone doesn't want to click a few links and read there... wow, thats sad.

I'm at work and can't access those sites, especially Youtube so I resent the judgmental comments about being rude and lazy. Don't be so arrogant to assume you know what my situation is.

Also, as I've previously stated, I feel like "Check your manual" and "Google it" are lame responses so I'm not going to give them to my friend.

Wow... didn't realize I'd get this much crap for asking a question. Thanks for the help Jerry, you've proved your worth.
Do they let you access Amazon.com? You could buy the book as a gift for your friend.

I was wondering why your friend can't track down his own information since he's the one that actually has the manuals.

Oh, the forum has a search feature too.

There's lame and then there's lame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back