nikon coolpix l120

Skinner712

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello every one I am new here.

I am just getting in to cameras and I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix L120.

Is it a good camera for a beginner?
I am a taxidermist and would like something I can take close up of animals and pics of my mounts for a website.

Can any one help me out?

Thanks

The Coolpix L120 is an advanced Point & Shoot camera. You have very little control of individual camera functions such as aperture, shutter speed, or focus other then selecting one of the many presets offered. It' takes excellent pictures, and has a good optical zoom lens, but by it's very nature, it has limited qualities for someone looking to be more involved with the photo process. The Next step up without going full DSLR, is what's termed a bridge camera. The Nikon CoolPix P500 has a 36x optical zoom lens, and offers besides a host of preset modes, Aperture, Shutter, and Manual modes. While twice the price, it's more then twice the camera.

It does not have the controls of a bridge camera, it only looks like one. It's a great point and shoot, but that is all it is. If you want the control to take the images you want to create for your website go with a true bridge camera. MANY people purchase it thinking it is a bridge camera with the extra controls because of how the body looks.
I also like the P500 and the SX40 HS. They are the newest in their lineup but their predecessors aren't anything shabby either. The Canon SX30 IS and even SX20 IS would do the job admirably well.

I am a taxidermist and would like something I can take close up of animals and pics of my mounts for a website.

Can any one help me out?

Thanks

You might want to get in contact with Chuck Testa. He's seemed to catch on in the flashy world of taxidermy. Maybe he can tell you what he uses to shoot his mounts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back