Nikon d1 body

redtippmann

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well some of you may or may not have seen my last thread here asking about a new body. Well I just had another question.

Anyone heard of the nikon D1? I was looking into it because it's very much into my price range(250). But I looked and it only has a 2.something mega pixle sensor.

That's the one thing that I'm mainly worried about. Also if my current lenses would fit. (50mm 55-200vr) So has anyone used this and would know if it would be a step up from a D50?

Thanks!

From what I've read, the D50 will perform better than the ancient D1 or D100 or even a D70 in most situations.

Some big issues for the D1-- the battery life was beyond abysmal, the image quality is low, at this point any D1 you'll find is ~10 years old, and because they were primarily press cameras, chances are they've had hard lives, the grips peel off, etc etc. Your D50 is a better camera in nearly every way excepting build.

What exactly is appealing about the D1?

The D1 used the NTSC color space, so it's not directly compatible with web browsers or printers, home or pro.

It's a 2 step process in Photoshop to convert images to either sRGB or AdobeRGB.

You can find more info about the camera on Wikipedia.

Save your money and get a decent camera, this one is too old to be any good.

Thanks. It just looked like there were more functions on the d1 and that battery grip:sexywink: thanks for the info because I could hardly find a revue from recent years.

Thanks. It just looked like there were more functions on the d1 and that battery grip:sexywink: thanks for the info because I could hardly find a revue from recent years.
I know what you mean. I like a grip too. Both for looks and function.

Last edited:
The D1 feels great in your hands, but that is about it. Again the battery life was horrific. Plus image quality was poor compared to todays standard. D1H & X are very different and something you may consider.

Love & Bass

Image processing in the D1H & X was significantly upgraded, but still not up to par with say the D70. Really depends on what you are looking for in a camera.

Love & Bass

I also noticed that there was the d2h in my range. But I'm mainly looking for more function and shooting options like I see on the d300 but that's a lot of money(for me)

D2H is also getting up their and mies above the D1. Keep in mind that these cameras will eventually become paper weights. Why not buy an SLR or medium format TLR? Why not save your money?

Love & Bass

Well just wndering what are my options now because i'm not geting any (significant ammount)money for probably two years. And im not sure about film. I only used it a few times on my old slr but with film cost and developing I don't know what I will end up paying. Plus my yearbook and school newspaper only handle digital.

Just typing out loud.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back