Nikon D3 or D800? Both used.

jazzman56

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, everyone. I'm brand new to this forum. Hope somebody can help me make a decision. I just sold my Nikon D300, because I wanted to move into full-frame format. I have found a D3 with just 2200 shutter clicks on it. It's in perfect condition. I also found a D800 in pristine condition, but with 27K shutter clicks. The D3 is owned by someone thinking he was going to become a pro when he bought the camera 2 1/2 years ago, then just got interested in something else. The D800 is the back-up camera of a working professional photographer. The D3 is $100 less than the D800, and with such little use, I'm leaning in that direction. The D800 is newer technology and 36 MP vs. 12 MP for the D3. Anyone have an opinion to help me make up my mind?

I think more factors need to be put into play here:

Whats your skill level?
What type of photography do you like doing and what types are you excited about learning?
What do you hope to do with the final images?

These three questions should help people answer your questions better.

The technology in the D800 is quite a bit more advanced than the D3. Both are extremely capable cameras, but unless you really feel you "need" the larger built pro body, or need more FPS and buffer space, I would go with the D800. Absolutely fantastic sensor, 51pt autofocus system, newer processor, better ISO handling.... the list goes on and on.

The size difference in SLRs is, in my opinion, a bit of a silly argument. Once a camera is big enough that you can't shove it into a pocket or a purse, a difference of a pound or two, or an inch or two in any dimension, is largely irrelevant. The one exception I've seen to this is a person who has VERY small hands.

Skill level has really nothing to do with what camera you should get. Better cameras have fewer limitations. Always buy the best camera you can afford.

The major differences here have everything to do with what you want to shoot.

The D3 gets like 2x the FPS of the D800. Want to shoot a lot of action? D3 is going to be better at it, though I shoot soccer with a D800 and it's fine.
The D800 has STUPIDLY high resolution (36mp). If you need that level of detail in your work, the D800 may be better for you, though to be honest I've only ever heard one reasonable argument for anyone wanting resolutions higher than 12-16MP, and that was basically high-detail product photography. Also, there is a major storage and computer power hit associated with processing these images. 50-75mb per raw file. It adds up quick.

There are, of course, many other differences. The D800 is a couple generations newer and has better focusing mechanisms and such. The D3 is a stronger overall body build. The list goes on and on. But for my money, the items listed above are the key deciding point differences between the two. Both cameras are exceptional, and you won't be disappointed with either.

For a difference of only $100 I would get the D800, unless you need the D3 ISO and frames-per-second performance.
27K is not a lot since the D800 has a shutter rated at 300,000 clicks.

Last edited:
You don't mention the price. Here in PDX, a D3x used is $2,875. A D4 used is $4400. A D3, the original D3, not the D3s, is $1795 to $1850, consistently the last year. A D700 is $950. I have not see a used D800 yet. But those are actual, walk-in retail prics at the city's biggest and best pro photo supply house. That's 50 minutes north of you. These are REAL, actual, in-store retail prices. Not the fairy-tail prices from The Big Five web dealers that sell to buyers nation-wide. I mean, rwiaght here in Oregon actual retail prices.

SO, if you ask me, ANY D3 that is NOT a D3x that is priced used within $100 of a used D800 is priced wayyyyyyy too high. Or, the D800 is prices wayyyyy low, like $1950.

Again, the actual asking prices are important in making a decision like this I think. Because my feeling is the D3 is priced wayyyyy over market value.

You don't mention the price. Here in PDX, a D3x used is $2,875. A D4 used is $4400. A D3, the original D3, not the D3s, is $1795 to $1850, consistently the last year. A D700 is $950. I have not see a used D800 yet. But those are actual, walk-in retail prics at the city's biggest and best pro photo supply house. That's 50 minutes north of you. These are REAL, actual, in-store retail prices. Not the fairy-tail prices from The Big Five web dealers that sell to buyers nation-wide. I mean, rwiaght here in Oregon actual retail prices.

SO, if you ask me, ANY D3 that is NOT a D3x that is priced used within $100 of a used D800 is priced wayyyyyyy too high. Or, the D800 is prices wayyyyy low, like $1950.

Again, the actual asking prices are important in making a decision like this I think. Because my feeling is the D3 is priced wayyyyy over market value.

this +1...if a standard D3 is that close to a D800 in the pricing, both being in similar condition functionally and cosmetically and (27k is not a significant amount for a D800 at all. thats used but still low mileage) then something is poorly priced. either the D800 is super super cheap (which is unlikely, being that its a pro's backup, I'm sure he is aware of market value on it)....OR the D3 is grossly overpriced (which is much more likely, especially if the want-to-be pro, who doesn't sound like they're active in photography, selling it hasn't kept up with market value, and has some 'I paid X amount for it just a few years ago so I should be able to get Y price' mindset....which I've seen fairly commonly in the used gear market)

this +1...if a standard D3 is that close to a D800 in the pricing, both being in similar condition functionally and cosmetically and (27k is not a significant amount for a D800 at all. thats used but still low mileage) then something is poorly priced. either the D800 is super super cheap (which is unlikely, being that its a pro's backup, I'm sure he is aware of market value on it)....OR the D3 is grossly overpriced (which is much more likely, especially if the want-to-be pro, who doesn't sound like they're active in photography, selling it hasn't kept up with market value, and has some 'I paid X amount for it just a few years ago so I should be able to get Y price' mindset....which I've seen fairly commonly in the used gear market)

+1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I was wrong about the price spread. The D3, with a shutter count of 2200 (I tested it myself), is $1700. The D800, with a shutter count of 27,000, is $1900. So, there's a $200 difference. I'm leaning toward the D3 only because of the extremely low shutter count. I also like the D800 with the 36MP. Also, I can get a grip with extra battery power, but I don't always have to have the extra bulk. I can remove the grip when I want to.

I didn't read any of the above.

D800 is the very best studio and landscape shooter available today. I love love mine.

D3/D700 is a workhorse of weddings, sports.

I'd never want to shoot a wedding with a D800. 300 images or so is ~12GB

Actually, I was wrong about the price spread. The D3, with a shutter count of 2200 (I tested it myself), is $1700. The D800, with a shutter count of 27,000, is $1900. So, there's a $200 difference. I'm leaning toward the D3 only because of the extremely low shutter count. I also like the D800 with the 36MP. Also, I can get a grip with extra battery power, but I don't always have to have the extra bulk. I can remove the grip when I want to.

Don't get so hung up on the shutter count alone. 2k vs 27k on these bodies is nothing. if you were talking about a difference of 100k, then yeah maybe something to consider...you can look up the body specs and see which one you prefer as far as that goes, but think of this, these are electrical-mechanical machines. the D3 is 7 years old, with 2200 shutter count, when it was unused, was it properly stored? internal lube condition, battery condition, etc can all be affected without use and/or improper storage.

In the end, figure out what you need, and if one of these bodies fills the need more than the other, that's what you want. personally though, I'd go for that D800 all day long.

For me, camera bodies are a lot like computers. When I buy a new computer, I buy the fastest with the most memory I can afford. I then use it until it can no longer do the job. I would get the D800 and not even consider the D3.

Most reactions

Back