Nikon D300 OR Canos Eos 5D

lifeson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know the Eos sports the full frame sensor, but I'm really trying to make the right choice through my technique. I've used Pentax in the past, looking for an upgrade, and with both of these bodies in my price range (and taking lenses into consideration), I'm interested in something that will suit my wildlife and landscape photographic needs, as well as freelance sports and odd studio work. I was leaning the D300 way, but now I'm second guessing. . . Objective/subjective thoughts?

Go to your local camera store and handle both cameras. The D300, being a dx camera, might suit your wildlife better in that you won't need to spend as much money to get a good high-speed long zoom (a 200mm 2.8 works out to the same as a 300 2.8 in Nikon dx). And (I have a D300) I think that the Nikon is better at high iso so that might be a consideration for your sports shots. Then again, I've been told that the VR is better in Canon. It's really up to what feels good in your hands, both are excellent cameras.

Jerry

Thanks! What about a used D3 (about 3,000 shots taken) or a D300. There are no Canon's in this area to speak of, but these are both local.

If the D3 is going for a reasonable price, go for it!

It can be your landscape camera in Full frame (FX) mode and then your sports camera in crop (DX mode) and all Nikkor lenses will work with it!

$2400, locally. We'll see if it's still avail.

Good advice from the ChickenFriedRyce. If that price is the price, it's less than a new D700 so sounds great!

Jerry

Used D3. Sounds very fishy to me.

Nikon bias asside the only thing the 5D has going for it is the full frame sensor. Other than that the D300 kicks it in nearly every possible way, but that's to be expected. The 5D is quite old and a 5D MkII has been expected for quite some time now which will change things quite a bit.

Used D3 for almost 1/2 price new with only 3300 actuations.... recipe for a scam in my opinion.

The Canon 5D is a wonderful camera..... the fact that it has competed aggressively in an every advancing market consistently since 2005 is a testament to the design. With that said, looking a specs only (I shoot Canon), I'd say the D300 is a much better camera for your purposes. For example, the 5D moves data to media pretty slow by today's standard.... so that will be a problem in terms of wildlife and sports...

It shouldn't surprise anyone... the D300 is 2 years newer than the 5D design. 2 years! might as well be 2 decades.

In the end... you should focus on lenses and how the camera body feels in your hands.

Most reactions

Back