Nikon D300 questions or maybe a different DSLR

chevy01xtreme

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello everyone,

right now i have been using a Nikon Coolpix 8700 for the last couple of years and its a nice camera but i want to upgrade to the Nikon D300.

My question is what are the lens and or accessories should i get for this camera. this camera will be used for everything. also what other cameras compare to the D300

looking for input on what i would need.

Thanks,
-Joe

Geez, are you sure you need it?

Not to be mean but the people piss of us photogs the most is seeing someone with a camera that is 100 times what they actually need. Have you thought about a lower end camera like the d40, it will be amazingly better than what your shooting with now.

go for it...do your research..it's your money..if you get the D40, your going to only want to upgrade again later

Nikon is offering a $300 rebate right now on D300 / 18-200VR combos. If you're going to use it for "everything" then that's a great deal. If you're not going to be able to fully utilize the D300's capabilities though, you might be better off with a much cheaper but still very capable D80 and investing in some GOOD pro quality lenses instead. Don't forget a decent flash too, like an SB-600 or an 800. The D300's sensor has a very high linear resolution which is more demanding of lens performance, so don't cheap out on the glass.

What's your total budget?

Just remmber as Jimmyo proved to alot of people there is some kind of qualification test you need to pass to be allowed to purchase a more advanced camera. It really should be posted at camera stores all over "you cannot purchase this camera unless you are **this** much of a photographer" because if too many amatuers purchased these semi-pro bridge cameras you know what would happen well I hope you do because I am not sure but there will be alot of people that will post and tell you why you are not qualified to buy this camera. Now to get serious (or was I already I think so) the only thing that would in my eyes disqualify you from buying this camera is to go out and do a silly thing and buy a crappy lens like the 18-200 to put on it.

Nikon is offering a $300 rebate right now on D300 / 18-200VR combos. If you're going to use it for "everything" then that's a great deal. If you're not going to be able to fully utilize the D300's capabilities though, you might be better off with a much cheaper but still very capable D80 and investing in some GOOD pro quality lenses instead. Don't forget a decent flash too, like an SB-600 or an 800. The D300's sensor has a very high linear resolution which is more demanding of lens performance, so don't cheap out on the glass.

What's your total budget?
no real budget. i been looking at everything reading everything and i can get most stuff at a nice discount so i thought why not go for the D300 so i dont have to upgrade later and sell my coolpix 8700 and buy a another smaller camera..

i just wanted to get a list of nikon lenses and/or accessories i should get with this camera.

i know ive gotten prices for the D300 body for 1625.00 . thats a good price? i know msrp is 1800.00

Honesly the only accessory you really need is a good fast lens.

Just not the 18-200VR, right JIP? :lol:

It's a nice lens for what it is, but I'm not too big of a fan either. I got into DSLRs to be able to swap lenses and get really nice quality glass for different purposes. If it suits your style you'll love it, but a lot end up selling them in favor of getting some pro glass, like the 17-55DX f/2.8 which is much sharper and faster, albeit more limited on range. But hey, for $300 off if you don't like it or want to upgrade you could sell it later for $550-600 and still come out ahead. And it is a "handle everything" type of lens, so it's a good learning tool as far as figuring out what focal length ranges you might want to shoot at the most, and then get a different lens based on that, or just stick with it if you're happy.

Just not the 18-200VR, right JIP? :lol:

It's a nice lens for what it is, but I'm not too big of a fan either. I got into DSLRs to be able to swap lenses and get really nice quality glass for different purposes. If it suits your style you'll love it, but a lot end up selling them in favor of getting some pro glass, like the 17-55DX f/2.8 which is much sharper and faster, albeit more limited on range. But hey, for $300 off if you don't like it or want to upgrade you could sell it later for $550-600 and still come out ahead. And it is a "handle everything" type of lens, so it's a good learning tool as far as figuring out what focal length ranges you might want to shoot at the most, and then get a different lens based on that, or just stick with it if you're happy.

It is a weak amatuer lens for amatuer cameras. Nikon is doing it's customer base a disservice by putting yp this deal and promoting this combination but if they can sell a cheap crappy lens at an exorbinant price bring on the suckers. Your statement about taking the deal and selling it later makes my point Nikon would love you money now and a little more later. If you want to buy D40 or something like that fine buy whatever lens you want but if you are buying a semi-professional body why are you going to weaken it's potential with a marginally sharp, expensive, slow lens. Honestly to the OP if you cannot afford some decent glass why not back off on the D300 to something like say a D80 and get some fast glass with it. The tech on the body is going to go obsolete faster than the lens so why not invest in something that is going to last. As far as a lens it is all a matter of your personal shooting style but a good starter lens might be the previously mentioned 17-55 2.8 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/186250-USA/Nikon_1960_AF_S_Zoom_Nikkor_17_35mm.html . The only cavaeat being is I would be careful investing in DX glass at the moment as I am not sure if the full-frame sensor on the D3 means we are on the cusp of a full-frame sensor war between Nikon and Canon.

$1800 ---> $1625 is not that great a discount, maybe the OP is just trolling.

I am not sure why this thread might sound like a troll. Sure doesn't to me I mean what reaction would they be trying to get??.

I won't recommend a lens for you, because you didn't mention (or I overlooked it) what your main interest or shooting style is. I can, however, vouch that all the following Nikkor lenses work superbly on the D300.

Primes:
35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4

Zooms:
12-24mm f/4, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8

I can also vouch that the 18-55mm and 55-200mm starter lenses make awesome paperweights. :lol:

Anybody that is recommending you to buy a cheaper body than the D300 has a serious case of penis envy or empty pockets. The learning curve is going to be long and maybe frustrating coming from a P&S, but you will overcome that eventually.

Whatever lens you decide to get, just make damn sure it is quality. Oh, btw, how's the credit limit on your cards? :lmao:

Good luck.

Forgot to mention accessories.

Good sturdy tripod legs and head (I like ball heads)
Quality CPL filter (I like B+W, others may recommend Hoya)
One of these. (They are fantastic.)
Giotto Blower (or similar) for blowing loose particles from lens and mirror
The book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
Start compiling answers to the comment, "Wow, you must be a professional" :lol:

Down the road start thinking about flashes - SB-600 or SB-800

Most reactions

Back