Nikon D300s or Canon 7D?

MariusF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I have looked over the two. And I have a hard time deciding what to pick.

I have read a lot about the 7D’s Video HD quality (But I really don’t care so much about video.) And that it has an inbuilt remote for flashlights. And I like the 1.6 crop factor and the 8FPS on it. And I have heard a lot of good things about the AF system of the 7D.

The Nikon D300s I have heard is a great camera. Its fast and it got 7FPS. Just that it’s a bit lower on the crop factor and the FPS but not with much. And see it got low noise on high ISO but the 7D got that to. It got video to, but I read that it’s not that great. (But I really don’t care about the video). It got interval recording in the body. The 7D got it in the remote. So it’s a neck in neck choice. I like the looks of 7D and D300s and the lenses that go with both, and the prices for both with the things I wanted are almost the same.

Anyone with a 7D or D300s got any input why I should pick your brand? Would really like your input, thx.

They'll both do a good job. Three things:
- try holding them in the store to see what feels good in your hands
- it's more the photographer and less the camera that determines good photos.
- for lenses you plan on using. compare the price and quality for both cameras

I have read a lot about the 7D’s Video HD quality (But I really don’t care so much about video.) And that it has an inbuilt remote for flashlights. And I like the 1.6 crop factor and the 8FPS on it. And I have heard a lot of good things about the AF system of the 7D.

The Nikon D300s I have heard is a great camera. Its fast and it got 7FPS. Just that it’s a bit lower on the crop factor and the FPS but not with much. And see it got low noise on high ISO but the 7D got that to. It got video to, but I read that it’s not that great. (But I really don’t care about the video). It got interval recording in the body. The 7D got it in the remote. So it’s a neck in neck choice. I like the looks of 7D and D300s and the lenses that go with both, and the prices for both with the things I wanted are almost the same.

Anyone with a 7D or D300s got any input why I should pick your brand? Would really like your input, thx.

Both are great cameras and both Canon and Nikon make great systems. I 2nd the suggestion to play with them a bit in a camera store if possible. Personally I would probably go with the 7D but I also own a D300 that I very much enjoy. I also do not value video much on slr cameras but they are a useful tool for those that are into shooting video with much better lenses that are typically found on a prosumer camcorder.

Nikon vs Canon = Apples vs Oranges.
They'll both do a good job. Three things:
- try holding them in the store to see what feels good in your hands
- it's more the photographer and less the camera that determines good photos.
- for lenses you plan on using. compare the price and quality for both cameras
Couldn't have said it better my self.
D300s - I love this body. The big hitter for me on it was dual cards.
Going for a brick wasn't my thing but when was given a chance to trade in my D300 + $150 for brand spanking new D300s, It was worth the price. Besides all the FPS and Video, and all that BS, again, my thing was DUAL CARDS.

They both do the same thing,

both are 8fps
both are APS-C
both are weather sealed
both have wireless flash (nikon pioneered what it is today)

The Canon has a competent video mode and 6 more MP, the Nikon has dual card slots and 51 AF points.

I didn't see what kind of photography you were going to be doing, but it may not matter.

I've never shot a D300s. I hear it's right up there with my 7D. My debate on Canon vs Nikon ended very quickly when a) I realized I could use my old 35mm film era-lenses on the 7D and b) most sports photogs had L and that's what I shoot; motorsports. (A + B = Ironic and curiously contradictive, no? ;) )

Aside from the excellent advice from above, if I were you and didn't have gating factors like I described above I'd rent a 7D one week and a D300s another week, with good glass, and see which I liked better.

Considering you're sinking a good chunk of money into it and you don't have a brand picked, a couple hundred more bucks to make sure you got what you wanted would be well worth it IMO.

Last edited:

I am assuming that you don't have any lenses already.

When you buy a Nikon or Canon body you aren't just buying a camera, as much as buying into a camera system.

What I mean by that is that once you buy one of these brands camera bodies, you will also be locked into that brands lenses and other accesories for the most part.

So when deciding which one you want, remember to do research on the lenses as well.

The 7D and D300s are both great cameras, and you can't really go wrong with either of these companies lenses either.

I love my 7D, and I am a big Canon fan in general. I promise you that you wouldn't be disappointed with this camera. I would recommend you put some good glass in front of it though, but I would recommend that for any DSLR.

About the Nikon 300Ds, I don't know that much other than reviews I have read. It is also a fine camera, and I think you would be happy with it as well.

My recommendation is go to a shop and hold them both, and read lots of reviews before deciding, that goes for lenses as well.

Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Find a used Nikon D700 or Canon 5D mk2. Go full frame! If you need speed, go with a d700, if you need resolution go with the 5Dmk2

Mostly im into wildlife and sports but like portretts and landskap to.
Im added to the list the 100-400 f4.5-5.6L for canon or the 80-400 f4.5-5.6D for nikon. Been saving up for a while now :>

I got the Canon 500D, but i feel its FPS is a bit low to my liking :(

Mostly im into wildlife and sports but like portretts and landskap to.
Im added to the list the 100-400 f4.5-5.6L for canon or the 80-400 f4.5-5.6D for nikon. Been saving up for a while now :>

I got the Canon 500D, but i feel its FPS is a bit low to my liking :(

I don't know the specs on the Nikon, but the Canon has a frame rate of 8 fps. Pretty damned fast. It also shoots at almost 18 megapixels, and in "Large Fine" format your shots could be as big as 15 or more megabytes.

If you're shooting with your finger mashed on the shutter and have good light, you'll be writing data to the storage card at a rate of up to 120 megabytes per second so you'll need a fast card.

The Canon has pretty good on-board cache so it doesn't become a problem immediatey, but you could easily choke the camera. I know the Nikon has two card slots so I would imaging it would be able to write to both (switch between them if the data rate gets too high).

Anyone know the difference between the Nikon and Canon's cache sizes? How about the obvious question... did they put 2 card slots on it to compensate for lack of on-board cache?

I don't know if video is an important feature for you, but when comparing the video quality of the 7D against the D300s, I think that the Canon 7D wins hands down. But overall, I play with two of them, and I like the D300s built quality and ergonomics more. When it comes to lenses, I also prefer the Nikon's wideangle lenses. So for me, I prefer the D300s. Both are great, and if you don't have any lenses from one company, I highly recommend visiting the shop and try holding them in your ends. For many photographers this is sometimes a good reason to choose one company over another.

In my opinion the D300s or even just the D300 is among the best cameras ever to come out. So whoever said they were not good had no idea what they were talking about. More than likely a Canon freak as I call them. Tes there are Nikon ones to for the record. The D300 may have less MP but can actually beat the Canon in image quality at higher ISO and IMO more modest levels.

That said, The Canon 7D is very impressive and is a incredible camera in its own right. I think it is the best camera Canon has come out with. This 18MP do work even if you wont notice it much of the time and the camera is fast and responsive. The better of the two really is a personal choice and more leaning on shooting style rather than one being the better camera.

I would go with the Nikon D300 myself even though I now shoot with Canon but I love low light photography and even after a year of being with Canon I still really dislike there button set up. This is a personal thing and some may favor the Canon but I find it akward and confusing where the Nikons are just where I would put them if I made a camera.

Play with them both and think about what you want to shoot then decide. There is no bad choice between the two and I think you will be happy with either one

I handled a D300s and shot with it for a brief time and I like it over the 7D. However, if video is important, I would side with the 7D.

I would go with the Nikon D300 myself even though I now shoot with Canon but I love low light photography and even after a year of being with Canon I still really dislike there button set up. This is a personal thing and some may favor the Canon but I find it akward and confusing where the Nikons are just where I would put them if I made a camera.
On the other side of things, I really dislike how Nikon puts a bunch of buttons on the left side of the camera (most notably WB and ISO), whereas Canon puts all shot-adjusting buttons accessable to the right hand.

d300s7dtop.jpg

It's all personal preference though. Both cameras perform about equally, so it should come down to ergenomics, design, lenses, and prices.

On the other side of things, I really dislike how Nikon puts a bunch of buttons on the left side of the camera (most notably WB and ISO), whereas Canon puts all shot-adjusting buttons accessable to the right hand.

d300s7dtop.jpg

It's all personal preference though. Both cameras perform about equally, so it should come down to ergenomics, design, lenses, and prices.

Just what I was thinking. Each there own, Why someone would right a letter with there left hand is beyond me lol. Canon's is not all bad to me power switch I think is the worse in my opinion, just a terrible location where on the Nikons being right there at the shutter made it simple to flick on or off. Each there own, and both make great systems. I hate the whole Nikon vs Canon fights can be fun if in reason but in the end its the person who makes the photograph not the camera brand they went with. Don't believe me, check out works of Ansel Adams or a number of other great photographers who used cameras with no where near the speed or performance we have today, yet there are some amazing works of art that could not be topped even if using the latest and greatest.

Most reactions

Back