What's new

Nikon D300s or Canon 7D?

On the other side of things, I really dislike how Nikon puts a bunch of buttons on the left side of the camera (most notably WB and ISO),
What..... like things that aren't changed that often, given the scene you're shooting? I'll set the WB once, ISO once or thrice, QUAL is always the same unless I know a jpeg image is desired (rarely). If you don't know if single shot, slow or high continuous is appropriate, then you should give weight to that question. Same with ST, Live View and MUP, you should know ahead of time.

I like Nikon, but own Canon (film) as well. It's really a matter of putting them in your mits and see what feels better for YOU. Also look at the menu navigation. The lens offerings are comparable in both focal length choices and prices. Neither is the winner because each are expensive........ except Nikon rules. :D
 
^ I change ISO a lot; depending on the situation. I can comfortably shoot up to 3200, but I'd like to not have to all the time. I was just doing a lot of event shooting for Comic Con the past few days, and was switching between 100 for bright outdoors and 1600 or 3200 for indoors and dimly lit panels several times in the day. I guess it's different for anyone shooting in a controlled environment, but I'm rarely in that kind of setup. I guess I personally don't have much against Nikon other than I don't like their setups. And I probably don't like them because I've used Canons for years and am used to theirs.

Each there own, Why someone would right a letter with there left hand is beyond me lol. Canon's is not all bad to me power switch I think is the worse in my opinion, just a terrible location where on the Nikons being right there at the shutter made it simple to flick on or off.
I actually prefer it as far out of the way as possible. I liked it a lot in the "crappy" position it was in for my 50D (and most other mid/high level Canons). I turn my camera on and leave it on. When I'm done shooting, I turn it off. It goes to "sleep" after 2 minutes anyway, and turns the screen off after a few seconds. It consumes almost no power to just be on and snaps back to life right away when I half-press the shutter button. I dont want to accidentally turn it off or hit the switch by accident, so placing it around the shutter button bugs me. But again, just personal preference.
 
Last edited:
^ I change ISO a lot; depending on the situation.
Don't understand the problem. Shoot at ISO100 when outside, as you're moving to inside shots, change to ISO3200. Rinse and repeat.

I dont want to accidentally turn it off or hit the switch by accident, so placing it around the shutter button bugs me. But again, just personal preference.
Not gonna happen. It takes a positive and deliberate action to switch the (Nikon) camera off.
 
That's cool. I still don't like Nikon's layout. Probably as much as you don't like Canon's. :hug::
 
Probably as much as you don't like Canon's. :hug::
I've owned Pentax and Canon also. I still own a Canon. :D I think Canon is a fine camera, but I do prefer Nikon's layout. :mrgreen: As you stated, personal preferences.
 
I dont want to accidentally turn it off or hit the switch by accident, so placing it around the shutter button bugs me. But again, just personal preference.
Not gonna happen. It takes a positive and deliberate action to switch the (Nikon) camera off.


Yeah I sortve wish they wouldve kept the old positioning of the On/Off switch, but just required more force to toggle it... I still havent gotten used to it being on the left side... But maybe its because I typically keep the camera "On" in sleep mode as opposed to turning it off that I havent gotten used to it and also dont find it to be a huge deal.
 
Probably as much as you don't like Canon's. :hug::
I've owned Pentax and Canon also. I still own a Canon. :D I think Canon is a fine camera, but I do prefer Nikon's layout. :mrgreen: As you stated, personal preferences.

To be honest, I'd like to buy a Nikon DSLR to play around with; maybe a D90 or something. But it's a big investment for something just for fun; and more or less totally unnecessary. LOL. Kinda like how I always wanna pick up a Mac to use OSX, but can't justify the cost to get something that does everything mine does already anyway. Curiosity and a desire to play with different things only goes so far when it starts jumping into the thousands of dollars category. It's just money I could have used to make my current setup even better. :thumbup:
 
^ I change ISO a lot; depending on the situation.

So do I. I just reach over with my right hand index finger and change the ISO accordingly... with that one hand. No problem whatsoever. Even if I'm handholding a camera with a big and heavy lens.

Canon's layout is better in that respect, but overall I like Nikon's better. Both layouts are more than adequate, though (IMO) and I wouldn't base my decision between a 7D and D300s on that.
 
Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. So lets get this topic on something else. hmm let's see. Oh!!!Live view button is... LOL just kidding.
 
^ I change ISO a lot; depending on the situation.
Don't understand the problem. Shoot at ISO100 when outside, as you're moving to inside shots, change to ISO3200. Rinse and repeat.

I dont want to accidentally turn it off or hit the switch by accident, so placing it around the shutter button bugs me. But again, just personal preference.
Not gonna happen. It takes a positive and deliberate action to switch the (Nikon) camera off.

I am not so sure about other Nikon and Canon cameras, but the 7D has an auto-ISO setting that works in all modes.

My 30D didn't have this feature, and it was very annoying having to switch ISO all the time.

I would say that the auto-ISO feature tends to set it higher than I sometimes like, but I can always just dial in exactly what I want if needed.
 
I like not having to take my finger off the shutter to change my settings. And for this guy it sounds like he's gonna need to be able to keep his finger on the shutter all the time. If you are shooting wildlife and sports you are gonna need a camera that has a super reliable weather sealing, preforms solid at high iso and has a fast AF system. And we all know which camera that is between these two. If video was a major reason why you are buying either of these cameras go 7d. If not I would go for the D300s.

Good luck!
 
Mostly im into wildlife and sports but like portretts and landskap to.
Im added to the list the 100-400 f4.5-5.6L for canon or the 80-400 f4.5-5.6D for nikon. Been saving up for a while now :>

I got the Canon 500D, but i feel its FPS is a bit low to my liking :(

If you have a 500D why are you considering shifting to Nikon? Infact as you say that video is not a primary interest for you I would say don't get either the 7D nor the D300 - instead put the money toward getting some really good pro end lenses. You will notice a far bigger upgrade in image quality with better lenses than you will with a better camera body and new lenses can let you achive shots that you might otherwise not be able to.

Not having 8FPS is a pain at times but you can still learn to nail the shot (often even with high FPS the first shot or two is the keeper with the best action - timed at just the right moment).
 
Mostly im into wildlife and sports but like portretts and landskap to.
Im added to the list the 100-400 f4.5-5.6L for canon or the 80-400 f4.5-5.6D for nikon. Been saving up for a while now :>

I got the Canon 500D, but i feel its FPS is a bit low to my liking :(

If you have a 500D why are you considering shifting to Nikon? Infact as you say that video is not a primary interest for you I would say don't get either the 7D nor the D300 - instead put the money toward getting some really good pro end lenses. You will notice a far bigger upgrade in image quality with better lenses than you will with a better camera body and new lenses can let you achive shots that you might otherwise not be able to.

Not having 8FPS is a pain at times but you can still learn to nail the shot (often even with high FPS the first shot or two is the keeper with the best action - timed at just the right moment).

I can understand the want to upgrade but agree with Overread its probably not needed and you would be better off with a good lens. I went from the Nikon D90 with some pretty nice lenses to my current Canon and only a couple of lenses and really have had mixed feelings. Not overly good or bad either way but unsure if it was smart. If I was to do it over again I think I would of stayed. The point I'm trying to make is switching systems is pricey and the 500D is a very nice camera that I think should be able to do great shots. I did some real nice ones on my old Nikon D40 and 18-55 kit lens, I still do play with it as I helping my kid get into Photography and its the camera I let him use.

Buy the 100-400 IS lens I have rented that lens a few times and loved it! The money you save on a new body could be put towards a teleconverter or something else you will need more. If you want a more sturdy camera check out the 50D or 40D's. There are some awesome deals right now on them. Despite what people have said about the 50 it's image quality is really top notch if you don't need to use ISO's over 800 or so. I love mine, and the 40D is about 600 on Amazon, I plan on getting one in the next month or two as my back up. Depending on the model You go with, your saving about 600-1K plus whatever lenses you have now can still be used rather than having to rebuy but I think your rebel is fine for now.

Anyways, I cant sleep tonight so thought I would offer two cents or ten lol.
 
I have to agree that good lenses are the way to go. Bodies come and go, but glass stands up to the passage of time much better.

A DSLR body is only as capable as the glass you put in front of it.

I am very addicted to high end lenses now, and my financial status makes me wish I wasn't. :(

Its unreal what good lenses cost, and I am far from wealthy.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom