Nikon D3300

JBRoss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just finished reading the manual for the D3300. I generally like to read the entire manual before I begin experimenting. One thing that was recommended was to lock the lens in place when putting it away.

I am wondering whether this is "necessary" or "best practice" since I generally pack my gear carefully in the camera bag before moving it around.

Would those of you who have used a camera with a "lens lock" suggest that the lens be locked each time the camera is turned off; moved?

Thanks!

Jeff Ross

I wouldn't worry to much. The lens lock usually stops the lens creeping if the camera is facing down, so can be handy when carrying on a strap. Otherwise it's not vitally important

jaomul said:
I wouldn't worry to much. The lens lock usually stops the lens creeping if the camera is facing down, so can be handy when carrying on a strap. Otherwise it's not vitally important

Yeah, Nikon manuals sometimes have some great laughs in them, like the D70 manual, the one that warns the user to exercise caution in order to avoid accidentally poking himself in the eye when adjusting the eyepiece diopter mechanism.

I would put the lock the kit lens switch before stowing in the same category as, "Don't poke yourself in the eyeball when doing a simple slider movement", and "Do not operate camera while in bathtub or shower."

I think the idea is that the lens retracts into the lens barrel for a more "compact look" but it's not really more compact than the other 18-55 lenses, just a little. It's not a vital piece of the lens, I wouldn't worry about it. Lock it or don't, it's up to you.

On page 76 of the recommended safety precautions, I found this:

"Do not use camera while standing on railroad tracks."

Hmmm.... I wonder if that will harm the camera in some way?

On page 76 of the recommended safety precautions, I found this:

"Do not use camera while standing on railroad tracks."

Hmmm.... I wonder if that will harm the camera in some way?

Hmm. I've taking pictures while standing on railroad tracks, camera works fine.

Maybe not a third rail though.

I think the idea is that the lens retracts into the lens barrel for a more "compact look" but it's not really more compact than the other 18-55 lenses, just a little. It's not a vital piece of the lens, I wouldn't worry about it. Lock it or don't, it's up to you.

Yeah, it's a new point of sale demonstration feature on the "new" 18-55 lens.

I think Nikon views its customers like this cow...
:

from the preface of the on-line Nikon D3300 manual, page viii

For Your Safety

Keep the sun out of the frame

Keep the sun well out of the frame when shooting backlit subjects. Sunlight focused into the camera when the sun is in or close to the frame could cause a fire.

Using the viewfinder diopter adjustment
When operating the viewfinder diopter adjustment control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally.

The push button lock Is Stupid,you don't need to leave it locked. God forbid you get lens creep on a paper weight of a lens the button will save the day umm not really. It retracts for more compactness and still don't fit in the pocket and its just one more thing to forget until the camera don't function until you unlock it.Did I mention how stupid the button is.

The sun starting a fire made me laugh. But like the railroad tracks, it's a legality thing. Some moron probably left the mirror up trying to take a long exposure of the sun and a fire started. It's sorta like the "this coffee is hot and will burn the **** out of you" print McDonald's had to put on their coffee cups. The train tracks thing I understand though, it's illegal to take photos on tracks without permission technically.

To answer the initial question, it's your choice, probably not necessary. Plenty of long lenses that don't have locks on them and creep all the time that do just fine.

Most reactions

Back