Nikon D4 users?

DorkSterr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have been using my Nikon D4 for about a 3 weeks now and one thing that concerns me is is the ISO performance, are you guys noticing any noise at 6400 and beyond ISO? I would of thought it would be clean throughout 12800? Now don't get me wrong I think the current ISO capability is astonishing but it isn't quite up to the hype the media sought it out to be.

Here is a sample that I took at 3200 ISO, as you can see at the bottom left hand corner it has some amount of grain shouldn't noise be non existence on a D4? Or am I expecting way too much?

7219593104_7d891bcea0_b.jpg

NIK_1207 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It's an .NEF file. It's not meant to be perfect. There is no noise reduction being applied to it. If you want noise free images SOOC, shoot in .jpeg so that the camera's built in noise reduction is applied. Otherwise, if that ridiculously low amount of noise bothers you and you wish to shoot in raw, apply a couple points of NR in post. Looks fine to me though..

I thought the NR was applied to the NEFs as well...... man, this topic came up some years ago now, and I can't remember where we landed. I think I actually called Nikon to ask them, too. BAH. Anyone remember?

I think it looks pretty good. With a few clicks in post you would never know there was noise at all.

Thanks guys I take your words for it and lower my expectations. I'm gonna have a go at some night photography and really push the ISO hopefully I can get away with 12800 ISO and still decent.

yea, after some noise reduction I'd say it'll look pretty sweet. AT 6400!!! No offense, but most of us struggle at 800+. I'd say that's pretty good.

I have a couple D4's and still have a D3S, I shoot quite allot in very low light (concerts and weddings to be specific). I'm going to guess you didn't step up from a D3 or D3S.. The reality is that the blacks will always show noise above 6400 but it can be removed up to 12,800 pending you expose correctly (or "close enough"), above 12.8 you need to convert to B&W to look clean (in my personal opinion, this of course can be argued).

Expose correctly and watch your blacks at high ISO and you will be fine.

That's nothing.... four or five years ago that was ISO 400 noise on most cameras

Most reactions

New Topics

Back