Nikon D40 Help for a Beginner

mrdenn1s

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Great forum...soo much info to read and so little time!

I have a Nikon D40 with the standard 18mm-55mm lense.

I also have a 15 month old son with another on the way.

I wan to take some great portrait and lifestyle shots of them around the house, etc

Should update my lense?

What settings should i use for indoor use to get the great out of focus background look?

Any other tips?

I dont have photoshop (yet) so i need tips that will create great shots directly form the camera

Thanks in advance for your help

Mr D

Photoshop isn't needed to do anything you're looking for. What I would do is pick up Understanding Exposure by Bryan Petersen. It's a great "new to photography" book.

How to "blur" the background - use a low apeture. That may well be the only way to get the shot indoors, without having to use the flash.

The lens should handle your needs, but if you really want to take portrait shots of your son, you should invest in a "prime" lens - 50MM f/1.8.

I agree with ANDS! "Understanding Exposure" is a great read and the 50 mm f/1.8 lens would be a good addition for you. It is super-sharp and really cheap (about $100 or so).

In order to get great baby/kid portraits you have to get down on their level. Lie on the floor if you have to. Don't be afraid to get really close either. Your photos should focus on your child's sweet face, not all of his toys strewn around the room behind him.

Thanks Guys,

This is some of what I have done so far with him. Picasa used to clean them up as best i could. using the standard lense. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...
DSC_0585.jpg

DSC_0674.jpg

Two more pics...
DSC_0610.jpg

DSC_0616.jpg

keep in mind that you won't be able to use AF with anything other than AF-S lenses on the d40. your meter will work with AF-D and G lenses, but you'll have to focus manually.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back