Nikon D40 still a good option?

NO ITS NOT!!!!

buy a rebel XT.

there is nothing that nikons d40 has over canons rebel

NO ITS NOT!!!!

buy a rebel XT.

there is nothing that nikons d40 has over canons rebel

Unless he likes Nikon's glass better. I mean, really, when it comes down to it, I'd base my purchase on how the camera feels to you. Try them both out in store. Decide what is more comfortable, D40 or XT. Only you can make this decision, because really, the quality of the two isn't that different. Both Nikon and Canon make great cameras and lenses and accessories. I couldn't pick between a D80 and XTi based on paper stats, so I had to try each of them out in the store, and the D80 was the one for me. Just try them both out, see which one you like more, and then compare technical aspects. Just don't buy for this camera only, think about what you might want to do in the future, and research lenses and whatnot. This is a big purchase. The body might not be a large investment, but the lenses you buy for it will be. So think about what sort of lenses you want to use, and what body will let you do that. So, try the cameras. Research the cameras. Think about the future. Research lenses. Try the cameras. Buy a camera.

The last 2 posters need to read the entire thread. The guy already bought a D40 at this point.

I have the non-vr Version of the 55-200 and have yet to see the need for VR. As long as I take my pictures with a steady hand outdoors (or w/ flash indoors), I never have a problem. Although, I haven't used the lens a ton since I got it, I don't think I've gotten a single shot yet that was blurry from camera shake. Now the 70-300....I can definately see where you'd need VR.

I mistakenly bought a D40 as a third back up camera and one my wife could use for shooting tables at events and back me up. I sold it on Ebay 2 weeks later, and it will be a long time before I will forgive Nikon for not posting a great big RED advisory on the point of sale. Different lens, different media. In other words - BASTARD. Why would a company that builds its clientel on compatible equipment do this? Its like Rolls Royce building an electric scooter. I instead picked up an old faithful used D100 (sorry I sold the last one) and am loving it to death as a back up to my Xs and fun camera. Sometimes new is NOT better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back