Nikon D40 vs. Cannon Rebel xt

Don't let the SD vs CF be ANY factor in your decision. Both work just fine, that is really a non-factor.

You can find some great used D50's and D70's (body only) for around 400 and a used kit lens is around 70. Or get the D50/D70 and a 50mm f1.8 prime.

Between the D40 and XT, get the XT without kit lens and pick up a cheap prime lens. It will take much better photos than the kit lens.

Would i be better off with a d50 or the xt?

Would i be better off with a d50 or the xt?

walk into a camera store and find out for yourself.

You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it first, right?

Random question, but would I be right in thinking..?

XT = 350d
XTI = 400d

....get the XT without kit lens and pick up a cheap prime lens. It will take much better photos than the kit lens.

Depends on what you're shooting. If you're only doing portraiture, and you can always control your environment, then the prime (50mm f/1.8 I assume) will do great. However, I imagine sometime in the near future you'll be begging for a lens that zooms.

The Rebel XT costs $459 for the Body & Lens at Amazon. I'd personally do that, and then save your pennies for an $80 50mm prime like NateS mentioned.

Shoot, I didn't realize it was that cheap! I'm dying to pick up a second DSLR for my wife to use, and my old XT treated me very well!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
^^ Exactly. And if he's finding himself missing the wide zoom then he can always find a kit lens for next to nothing used.

This is the route I'm taking with the used D70s that's on the way. I got rid of the D40 kit for a used D70s, 50mm f1.8 and I'll be taking much clearer and better (IMO) pictures than with the kit, and much more versatitlity with lenses in the future.

Between the XT and D50...well go handle them. Once you do you'll see that the build quality of the two are completely different.

I've held the XT in my hand and taken a few pics with it. I find it very cheap and plasticyfeeling, though it does take nice pics. I have not taken pics with the D40, but it feels more substantial.

The D40 does have the lens motor issue whch limits lens choices a lot.

If I was in this person's boots... D80 for sure. Its a way better camera than either, not that much more $ and lens choices are plenty.

Okay here is my .53 cents worth. I am right now is a very similar boat, I have been using the D40 and I am thinking of going Canon. Here is what is making me teeter. I have heard that Canon produces more than Nikon which would explain why most Canon lens on In Stock and I seem to find more Nikon lens back ordered. Also I have noticed that Canon has a few extra options for their "L" glass. For example the great 70-200 lens. There are 4 options in the "L" series ranging from 600-1700 dollars in price from Canon. I wish nikon would offer some pro lens with a f/4 straight through so that I could get pro glass that is more in my reach in price.

Between the D80 and the XTI I think the D80 is a better camera BUT Canon just seems to provide a better lens option for me.

But to your question the D40 or XT, I would say the drive motor is the downfall of the D40. So I would say XT is the way I would go.

Hope this helps.

Thank you everyone. I am really hoping to order the xt soon. I figured im just going to buy it for myself. I should have finished saving up in a few days. I just really hope im not disapointed. I have felt it in the store and it seems to be fine, but im not sure.

I dont want to order it, and then get it and have it feel like a cheap body.

It will only feel cheap if you grab hold of a nikon DSLR to test. Just don't touch a nikon and you'll never know the difference in the build quality.

I made the mistake of holding a D40 and bought it because of the better build quality. 2 months later I sold it because of the limitations that I quickly found.

If I had bought the XT instead, I wouldn't have been in that boat and would still be happy with it. The lower build quality of the XT is not bad enough to compensate for the D40's downfalls. After owning one, I'd probably never reccomend a D40 to someone.

Well, i have held the nikons, and i love them. But the cannon seems to produce equal if not better choices for upgrades, and matches picture quality. Both of them are great... so i dont think i can go wrong. I think i have pretty much stopped thinking about the d40

Between the d40 and the XT, my personal option will be definitely XT. I like the way the canon cameras feel in my hand, all the controls are very easy to manipulate and accessible. But again that's me opinion, you need to try both units and make your decision based upon your experience. good luck!

Between the d40 and the XT, my personal option will be definitely XT. I like the way the canon cameras feel in my hand, all the controls are very easy to manipulate and accessible. But again that's me opinion, you need to try both units and make your decision based upon your experience. good luck!

Yes I can say that with the D40 when in manual mode atleast once every shoot I don't push hard enough on the exposure/aperture button when I turn the main dial to change the aperture. So I end up changing the shutter speed instead. It is very annoying.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back