Nikon D40 vs Pentax ist DS vs Canon 300d.

Ok, I'm already staying away from the 300d. I am increasing my budget to $400 in order to get a D40, because it seems like thats the best camera on the market in my price range. I went to my local circut city and handled some cameras, and I loved the D40, and did not like the Canon XT. However, I also liked the feel of the Olympus E-510. I have found an Olympus E-500 on ebay for a little less than a D40 would cost me. Are both the D40 and the Olympus in the same class, or is one newer than the other? However, I think the D40 is still what I am going to go for.

have found an Olympus E-500 on ebay for a little less than a D40 would cost me. Are both the D40 and the Olympus in the same class, or is one newer than the other? However, I think the D40 is still what I am going to go for.

The problem I have with Olympus is the 4/3rds format sensor... its smaller than even APS-C

Hi, new here. But I just wanted to say that I hope you don't mind manually focusing a bunch of lenses you might want.
You are probably aware of this already (though I wasn't until recently), but just in case, unless you plan on buying all AF-S lenses, you will have to manually focus all your lenses.
Not that it's a bad thing for me, it'll teach me a thing or two since I'm COMPLETELY new to DSLRs/photography.

From what I've read and been able to find, it's really limiting on your lens selection. And this sucks for me because I have the D60. But...it all depends on what you plan to photograph, too. If you're not going to be using spiffy special lenses, older lenses, or don't mind manually focusing, then the D40 is great. And it IS a nice camera. Just kind of lens-limited, from what I've been able to gather.

Anyone want to correct me if I'm wrong, please?

I have heard that the D40 has no autofocus motor, but I am fine with manual focusing the lens. I have played with these cameras before, and manual focusing is no problem.

I have heard that the D40 has no autofocus motor, but I am fine with manual focusing the lens. I have played with these cameras before, and manual focusing is no problem.

You'd only need to manually focus with certain lenses, anyway.

If you have a size issue and want to know how big or small a certain camera is why don't you just go to a camera store and hold them. There is no obligation to buy when you are looking (although they may try and really put the pressure on) and it will give you a good idea of the sizes of the different cameras.

I have a D40 also. Don't worry too much about the auto focus issue, there are lots of lenses that *will* auto focus with the D40. I have a Sigma wide angle lens (10-20mm) and a Sigma telephoto (50-150mm) which both auto focus and work perfectly with my D40. Any Nikon lens with AF-S or Sigma with HSM will auto focus on the D40.

Gosh, I didn't mean to be overly critical about the lens issue.
I'm dealing with it, as my D60 doesn't have an in-body AF motor either, I was just trying to let you know, just in case you didn't. I, for some reason, thought you were as brand-spanking new to DSLRs as I am. I didn't realize you had held the different bodies already.;)

I've also seen a Canon 350d XT, however it has a CMOS sensor. I have heard that CMOS sensors are not as sensitive as CCD sensors. Is the difference miniscule, or is it something I should consider when buying?

The CMOS sensors are just fine. When you get down into the smaller sizes that they use in video cameras you start to have issues, but in the DSLR sizes they are fine. Even the Canon 1D (which costs over $7,000) uses a CMOS sensor and I'd say it produces a nice image.

I actually faced this same debate recently and went with the Rebel XT for a few reasons. It's small, it takes great pictures and it is a wonderful way to learn. I chose it over the D40 for some of the reasons mentioned here (AF-S lenses, noisier images at high ISO, etc). Don't let that deter you from the D40 though. It's a good camera and it seems like many people here start with them and greatly enjoy them. I have a Nikon N75 35mm SLR that I really enjoy and it works very well. So I think Nikon makes a good camera. I just chose Canon because that's the line I want to continue in. Either way I don't think you'll go wrong. As usayit said earlier, you'll probably be happy with any of these cameras and it's more about the photographer than the camera. Best of luck.

I did not like the way that the Canon XT fit in my hand. The grip seemed too small.

I just ordered a D40 yesterday, and its shipping. Thanks for all your help!

I did not like the way that the Canon XT fit in my hand. The grip seemed too small.

I just ordered a D40 yesterday, and its shipping. Thanks for all your help!

Congratulations!

I bought a D40 (two-lens kit), as a surprise for a friend of mine (I couldn't afford to buy another D80 like I bought myself), and they absolutely love it! It's become as much a part of their right hand as their fingernails. It goes everywhere with them and partially because it is so compact for a D-SLR.

I have no doubt you'll instantly fall in love with yours and that symbiotic cooperation will simply grow from there. I've been watching the thread quietly to this point because I believe I'm a bit biased on the issue but had I commented earlier, this would have been the choice I would have urged you to make.

P.S. I love your signature quote about liberty and security.

Thanks. Yea, I ordered a warranty and a high speed sd card for it too.

I also had a question about sensor cleaning. I was told that I need to take the camera in to get the sensor cleaned once a year. Is this true? I've never heard of this.

Thanks. Yea, I ordered a warranty and a high speed sd card for it too.

I also had a question about sensor cleaning. I was told that I need to take the camera in to get the sensor cleaned once a year. Is this true? I've never heard of this.

It's not a bad idea. With film, your sensor is changed with every shot, so dust isn't an issue. With point and shoots, the body is closed in, so dust has a lot harder time getting in to the sensor. But with a DSLR, you can almost directly expose the sensor to the outside world, so dust will accumulate and eventually may even mess with your photos. Keeping a lens or body cover on your camera as much as humanly possible will prevent this a lot, but at the same time an annual cleaning will make sure that what does accumulate never messes with your images.

Thanks for the advice. The warranty I ordered came with a free cleaning. I will almost always keep the lens and body caps on. If I'm good with the lens and body caps, when should I get the camera cleaned? One year? Two?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back