Nikon D40(x) vs. Canon EOS 350D

Coincidentally, and talking only about current cameras, the little Nikon D40 (not the D40x) has one huge advantage over almost every other DSLR on the market for daytime sports. It has 1/500s flash sync. If you have deep shadows on people's faces from the mid-day sun, and you're also shooting action, the piddly 1/200s flash sync on most other cameras out there stinks. This is why even some pros out there will use D40's for daytime sports where they're close enough to blast off shadows with a flash. If we're going to a park during the day and we're going to put my daughter on a swing or send her down a slide or something, I take my D40 for this reason and my D80 (1/200s flash sync) stays at home.

My D70s has a 1/500th flash sync speed and I can autofocus a bunch of lenses that the D40 can't.

Why wouldn't a pro use a D70s for those situations over a D40?.....and don't say that the D70s is outdated because it's far from outdated....it just doesn't have the "neatness" of a newer DSLR.

I was only talking about current cameras. Yeah the old Nikon 6MP cameras (D50, D70, D70s) had 1/500s flash sync, but you can't get those new today anymore unless you really look for old stock that might still be sitting around somewhere.

I want a D70s. It has much better metering than my D80, the cleanness of the 6MP sensor (I rarely need the 10MP, but commonly need better high ISO performance), and the faster 1/500s flash sync vs the pretty much useless in daylight 1/200s sync on my D80. :mrgreen: If my D80 blew up or got run over by a truck, I'd probably try to find a used 70s if I didn't feel like springing for a 300, or if I don't care for the coming D90.

Coke or Pepsi? Ford or Chevy? Red or Blue? :er:

Pepsi
Neither (more of a BMW man myself!)
Blue

;):p

If you are considering the 350D, I'd see if it is possible to stretch to the 400D. It has the inbuilt sensor cleaning and a larger read LCD screen. Similar with the D40, if you can stretch to the D40X, I think there's quite a few MPx difference.

As advised, get into the shop and get a hold of both models. Sometimes despite all the info/stats/facilities the most important thing can be how it feels in your hands.

Good luck and whatever you choose, you can be assured of having a great camera :)

Thanks George and all of you. But i really don't look for replies complaining how the D70 is better than the D40x.

and yes i think i'll go with Canon.

Pepsi
Neither (more of a BMW man myself!)
Blue

;):p

If you are considering the 350D, I'd see if it is possible to stretch to the 400D. It has the inbuilt sensor cleaning and a larger read LCD screen. Similar with the D40, if you can stretch to the D40X, I think there's quite a few MPx difference.

As advised, get into the shop and get a hold of both models. Sometimes despite all the info/stats/facilities the most important thing can be how it feels in your hands.

Good luck and whatever you choose, you can be assured of having a great camera :)
Neither the sensor cleaner nor the bigger LCD are reason to upgrade to the 400D/XTi.

The reason to upgrade, is the better sensor with better high ISO performance.

Most reactions

Back