Nikon D40x - Help I am Panicking!

kdabbagh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I bought a Nikon D40x and I've had it for just over a week now. I've been extra careful with it and am taking care of it like it's a new born baby.

Today I took the camera out to take some family pictures and it doesn't Auto Focus anymore! i got an 18-135 mm lens with it....It doesn't let me auto focus and I can't access the focusing option from the settings

Does anyone know what this is? Please help! I just spent close to a grand on this camera

Check on the lens and see if the switch that says AF or MF and switch it to AF. If its not that then i dunno. I hope you bought a AF-S or AF-I lens...
Rob.

yeah i did buy an AF lens and its switched to AF.
The thing is just a few days ago it was doing the auto focus.

I can't evenn access the focus options in the camera settings...could it be the body or something?

yes, the lens should have a switch for AF, however, in a 135mm camera it has some kind of trick to it to work, like put it down for 3 seconds, spin the camera, and kill a virgin on fullmoon.

anyway RTFM.

Dude don't talk to me like I am an idiot. The first thing I did was read the manual then I decided to resort to this site. The manual says nothing about why I am not able to change the focus settings in the camera, I just realized I can't even access the option that allows you to pick MF and AF in the camera settings. Any D40x users experiences this?

Look on the front of the body, make sure it is switched to AF. If the lens is NOT AF-S it will not AF with a D40.

Try switching back and forth between MF and AF. Also, take the batter out of your camera and put it back. That could work.

ok so to recap i did everything you guys suggested.
THe lens is AF and as I mentioned it was auto focusing just a few days ago.
i took out the battery i did everything i can....no one experienced this before?

I might have to change the focus mode. I have D40 but I bet it is the same to change it. in manual mode, hit the info button (so all the info comes up, shutter speed, aperture..._ then hit the "?" button (also the zoom in button when viewing photos, bottom left of the back of the camera) then go through the menu to focus mode and put it on AF-S AF-A or AF-C which ever you want.

that might do the trick

What lense is it? Also have you tried taking the lense off and, trying another lense? If you have on that is. If it works with another lense then the lense is the problem but, if it doesnt work then it is the body. Also have you tried resetting the camera with the reset buttons? Does your screen show an err or, fee in it?

Thanks so much guys but I found out what it is.
Apparently I needed to recharge the battery...but that doesn't make sense to me because in the LCD screen I had all three bars showing. I'll check it out with the dealer as soon as I get back from my vacation.

Thanks a lot again!

Go into your camera's menu system.

Under the shooting menu (the pencil), look for number 02: Focus Mode. Make sure this is set to anything but MF (I would set it to AF-A for starters, until you know what they others are).

yes, the lens should have a switch for AF, however, in a 135mm camera it has some kind of trick to it to work, like put it down for 3 seconds, spin the camera, and kill a virgin on fullmoon.

People come her looking for help, not smart a#@ comments, Not Funny!

to the original poster: I'm glad your found the answer to your problem!

Thanks so much guys but I found out what it is.
Apparently I needed to recharge the battery...but that doesn't make sense to me because in the LCD screen I had all three bars showing. I'll check it out with the dealer as soon as I get back from my vacation.

Thanks a lot again!
I've heard of some people having some odd battery issues like this on the D40/x, but I haven't had any. Good thing it wasn't AF-S motor failure on the 18-135 lens itself.

I've heard of some people having some odd battery issues like this on the D40/x, but I haven't had any. Good thing it wasn't AF-S motor failure on the 18-135 lens itself.

yeah i am glad too.

I noticed another problem since this one though, sometimes I start my camera and it says the lens is not attached. I fix it by reattaching the lens. Do you guys recommend removing the lens before putting the camera away in the bag?

Most reactions

Back