Nikon D50 Upgrade

PJK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everybody!I bought a Nikon D50 around 2006 for a trip to Italy and it did a nice job. I've shot with it since then and think I want to buy something new to upgrade. I think I bought the D50 just before the D40 and some other newer models came out and I dont want to make the same mistake. I'd like to get something that will serve me for a long time. I'm hoping the forums may be able to help out. I was thinking of spending around $1400 and maybe more but the technology changes so fast I feel weird about even spending this much. I may be printing some 20x24.. I want to add that I like shooting in churches and some darker space so ISO is important for low light. I haven't learned much about flash shooting so maybe it's time.I wanted to include a few questions here so I Thank You in advance for taking the time to help! I look forward to sharing photos and participating in the forums as I continue to shoot. Thank you!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the recommendation. So you think the 300s would be overkill?With this camera I'd love to move into a semi-pro level when I can.

Apologies for posting a question that probably has 900 answers on the forum already. I just get nervous about a "new release" from Nikon - this is what happened when I bought the D50. A new one came out just after.

I would like to give photos as gifts and sell some photos locally. Ideally I would be able to get 16x20 at a very high quality.

Thanks again for your thoughts and help. I look forward to being a part of the forum!

PJK said:
Thanks for the recommendation. So you think the 300s would be overkill?With this camera I'd love to move into a semi-pro level when I can.

You won't find one new in the price range. For that, just get the d7000.

PJK said:

You won't find one new in the price range. For that, just get the d7000.

Thanks, Mach0. So you think the D5100 will be a big step up from the D50?

If I knew the 300s would be a HUGE improvement over something like the D5100 I would spend the extra money.

PJK said:

If I knew the 300s would be a HUGE improvement over something like the D5100 I would spend the extra money.

I've never used them. Based on reviews on image quality and ISO performance, the d7000/5100 is supposed to be better. The d300s has much more features than the 5100. However, the d7000 has the edge over the d7000 for its settings as well. Do you have lenses already and a flash?

I do not have lenses and a flash. I'm guessing this is just as important as the body based on what I've read.

Ideally, I'd be able to use lenses that I buy now with future cameras. Will this be the case if I go with the 5100?

What do you mean when you say d7000/5100 (are they the same)? Thanks again!

PJK said:
I do not have lenses and a flash. I'm guessing this is just as important as the body based on what I've read.

Ideally, I'd be able to use lenses that I buy now with future cameras. Will this be the case if I go with the 5100?

What do you mean when you say d7000/5100 (are they the same)? Thanks again!

Glass is more important. You can have a nice camera body but with poor glass and techniques, your pictures will still suck.

PJK said:

I've never used them. Based on reviews on image quality and ISO performance, the d7000/5100 is supposed to be better. The d300s has much more features than the 5100. However, the d7000 has the edge over the d7000 for its settings as well. Do you have lenses already and a flash?

So is it the features or the quality you are paying for? Do you think there is a tremendous difference in quality between a D5100 and D300s?

Also - is the D700 a mind blowing quality difference from something like the D5100? I'm just trying to get an idea of what price range "REALLY" makes a difference. I'll be sure to focus on the glass as well this time as I didn't pay much attention to glass with my D50.

Thanks again.

PJK said:
So is it the features or the quality you are paying for? Do you think there is a tremendous difference in quality between a D5100 and D300s?

Also - is the D700 a mind blowing quality difference from something like the D5100? I'm just trying to get an idea of what price range "REALLY" makes a difference. I'll be sure to focus on the glass as well this time as I didn't pay much attention to glass with my D50.

Thanks again.

With all due respect, judging by your questions, I suggest getting a flash, some new lenses, and experiment with your d50. See what it is that you want/need and what your camera doesn't offer. Once you figure it out, then go to the stores and try them out. Only you can make that decision. I know you want larger prints. While they say the d50 can't produce images that large, I've seen cases where you can. The trick is the resolution of the glass( better glass) and minimize cropping. In other words, nail your composition in the camera. Just take a step back and take to really learn your camera.

PJK said:

Thanks again.

With all due respect, judging by your questions, I suggest getting a flash, some new lenses, and experiment with your d50. See what it is that you want/need and what your camera doesn't offer. Once you figure it out, then go to the stores and try them out. Only you can make that decision. I know you want larger prints. While they say the d50 can't produce images that large, I've seen cases where you can. The trick is the resolution of the glass( better glass) and minimize cropping. In other words, nail your composition in the camera. Just take a step back and take to really learn your camera.

In this specific case, I believe I bought the camera close to the end of its production. I wish I had known but I did not. Looking at a friends photographs (who recently bought a Canon that was under $1000) they looked much better than my Nikon. I've shot many photographs with it and its been great but I feel like I would really like to upgrade. I know MP count doesn't necessarily make the image but 6.5? Its just not enough right now considering what is out there.

I'm also the kind of person who would rather make a great investment and not look to buy something in 2 years. So if the D300s is much better than the D5100, I'd prefer the D300s. If the body would not make a huge difference between the 2 I would take glass and a D5100. I hope that makes sense.

Most reactions

Back