Nikon D5000

If it was $600 or less like the D40 at introduction time, I could see it. But $730? The D90 is currently $890 at Amazon. That's only a $160 (18%) difference for a lot more than $160 of real features that I'd actually use, like dedicated controls, in-body AF motor, DOF preview and full CLS control, not stupid gimmicks like a flip-screen LCD.

If we're talking in Canadian dollars, the D5000 is about $900. The D90 is currently available at retail $1100 or less. That's $200, but at a higher price bracket, that's still only a 19% difference.

You know what I want to see? A 6mp camera with a D40 sensor, dedicated WB/ISO/QUAL/METER/AF/AF-area/DRV controls, in-body AF motor, AI coupling ring and CLS control for $750. They have all of the upstream R&D in place for all of it already, it wouldn't be difficult to do this.

Yeah, stings a bit doesn't it.

Don't know why it would sting...

I just don't see the point of putting out two cameras that are virtually identical. I dont even like the lame flip out screen. To me, this looks like something meant for soccer moms or something.

Wonder when the D400 will come out...lol

They basically added more cupholders and mag wheels.

VERY well said, one reason I love Pentax's.. they put features in that help do what a DSLR is meant to do.. flexibly take quality STILL images.

A DSLR is NOT video camera ( in the same way as a Phone isn't a camera ), they need to put solid meaningfull features in not 'pointless ones'.

Main differences appear to be lack of focus motor, no secondary command dial, lower resolution LCD (although articulated) and 0.8 viewfinder magnification (as opposed to 0.94 on the D90), lack of DOF preview.

Edit: Seems to be no flash commander mode either.

In other words it's only missing minor things - focus motor aside, but personally I've never had to use it (my 50mm f/1.8 does all of it's duty on the D40x - never had a problem with manual)

NOT minor things, pretty fundamental things really. Poor Viewfinder, DOF is handy ( and should take another hint from Pentax there, it's also used to check exposure on early K-Series and the M42 lenses ), and the lack of on body focus motor is plain stupid ( unless they went all in lens motors but then their already expensive lenses would be ever more overpriced ).

Overall they are trying to tempt people with features which will either not, or rarely, be used instead of concentrating on a solid simple camera.

Eh.. the stats might be similar to a d90, but the choice for me would clearly be the d90 over this thing. Lack of focus motor has always been deal breaker since I already have a few non af-s lenses, but lets also not forget the exterior controls. Only one wheel means lots of menu navigating for settings and that's annoying.

What's up with this video bandwagon? I bought a camera to take pictures and if I wanted to take videos I would buy a video camera. I understand what they're doing but I mean c'mon! When I saw the leak, I was hoping it was a hoax and I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't

Sensor cleaning, active D-lighting, auto-bracketing, GPS socket, live view, viewfinder focus grid and 4fps are all added features that will probably make the D5000 my D40 replacement.

I'm not denying that the D5000 would be an upgrade to the D40. What I am saying though, is that things like D-lighting are worthless - D40 just needs a refresh with the small stuff like the GPS dongle port and sensor cleaning.

But in all reality - I don't need sensor cleaning, because I keep my body dust-free in the first place. I don't need live view. I don't need the extra fps and I don't need a "viewfinder focus grid".

I don't need marketing bullet points, I need a camera that can take good pictures. Nikon's consumer DSLR should focus on that because that is ultimately why a consumer picks a DSLR instead of a P&S, which often offer much more "features". The D5000 is a classic example of losing focus of different product lines - you have to keep each product line distinct or else you will dilute your product names and lose sales.

Regarding the on-body motor: it's pretty obvious what Nikon is doing here. They're realizing that their AF primes are often professional quality and they don't believe that people should be able to get a professional quality lens for under $250 used and use it with a consumer camera for the reason why anything and everything professional for photography is ridiculously expensive - pros want to make sure that average Joes can't make the same quality images as they can or else they're out of a livelihood, so Nikon purposefully gimps consumer equipment.

What's up with this video bandwagon?

Because soccer moms *need* video of little Bobby playing soccer, of course!

It's a fad and marketing ploy. I also am of the mindset that a digital camera takes pictures and a video camera takes motion video. It is a convenience thing, nothing more becuase there is no comparison between a digial camera video and a real video camera's video... simple as that. :)

Know how we tell people that equipment does make a difference in the digital picture world? Well in video forums, that is what they are telling D5000, D90 and 5d Mk II users.

Last edited:
i forget what i was watching but it was some news station and there was a soccer mom sitting on a lawn chair using a D90 and taking pictures of her kid with live view on full auto. then the other day i saw a press conference and some congress woman was actually sitting there recording the president with the D90 video feature. seeing these things makes me regret buying a D90 because i feel like i've supported these stupid features that should not exist in a DSLR. if a D300 successor does come out soon, i pray that none of these "features" are on it.

I'm dissapointed in Nikon. They seem to be more interested in satisfying the needs of soccer moms than the photographers that have been with them for years. Entry level buyers are screwed either way. If they go Nikon, they get a plastic toy with only a DX sensor, a screen and a lens mount and no other important features. If they go Canon, they must put up with the brick-like erganomics of canon's rebel series.

Nikon should seriously get real. I had a budget, and the only camera that fit my needs was an oudated one (D70). If they had half the brains I think they have they'd make a $500 body to suit photographers, not MWACs and soccer moms.

Most reactions

Back