Nikon D5100 vs. Canon T3i poll

jakehinds

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Which do you guys prefer and why? I'll be shooting photo and video. I've found the canon refurb for 415$ and the nikon refurb for 469$. I heard that the d5100 had AF issues, and people liked the canon more. I am so confused on which to get:x

I have the D5100 and there are no AF issues, maybe someone just used a bad lens. I am really, really happy with the Nikon. But the price seems a little to high... Got mine for 460 € - new from amazon, including the 18-55mm kit lens, which also is not too bad.

The D5100 mops the floor with the T3i in terms of dynamic range and low noise at higher ISO levels--two CRITICAL performance metrics. When using typical "kit" and mid-level lenses, the user will often find that elevating the ISO setting is essential to getting sharp, clear photos in poorer light conditions. The snapsort.com comparisons really drive home how big an advantage the D5100 has over the T3i in technical image quality areas.

Have to agree with Derrel as pointed out higher usable iso means more usability in more lower light situations. And increased dynamic range means not losing details in those shadows.

Snapsort comparison of the two will give you better use in real world situations.
You will have to decide which of those features are important for you.
For me it would be the D5100 between the two.

But I also started out with the stripped down entry cameras. And due to things like lack of built-in motor for non-AF-s lenses,lack of Built-in flash commander mode,smaller dimmer penta-mirror viewfinder and lacking dedicated controls on body for making changes on the fly without my eye leaving the viewfinder to go menu-digging and missing the shot.

Meant I became frustrated within about 9months and required me to seek out a more capable body.
For me that meant settling on the D90 which has all of the missing in the entry cameras with features I need and use everyday.

And the reason I recommend even today the D90 for the serious student that wish to learn photography with a camera their first years with a camera that will give them years learning as they grow into using it. Not one they might grow out of their first year.

Last edited:
The D5100 mops the floor with the T3i in terms of dynamic range and low noise at higher ISO levels--two CRITICAL performance metrics. When using typical "kit" and mid-level lenses, the user will often find that elevating the ISO setting is essential to getting sharp, clear photos in poorer light conditions. The snapsort.com comparisons really drive home how big an advantage the D5100 has over the T3i in technical image quality areas.

Agreed, the D5100 uses the EXPEED 3 Image processor which is also used on the D7100 and Pro model D4.

If taking picture is the main reason you want a DSLR then I would go with the D5100.
I think as a video camera the T3i has a slight advantage.

I never heard of AF problems on the D5100

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks guys, haha. And trust me, Snapsort has been my best friend for a couple months trying to see what camera I'd like to buy. I guess I'll stick with the D5100 then!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back