Nikon D5100

ChelleB0703

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I made a big purchase and bought the Nikon D5100...this is my first dsr camera and I am clueless as to how it works besides the basic auto focus and what not. Anyone recommend any websites or tips themselves on photography or even some books that are worth taking a look at? I know you are probably thinking what an idiot I am but I am only in Hawaii until June and I want to get some pictures before I leave for good and head back to Maryland. I am excited to start this new hobby and I hope to actually take some halfway decent pictures. :)

kenrockwell.com has a lot of good information. As far as books go, Understanding Exposure and Learning to See Creatively (two books) by Bryan Peterson are excellent for people who are just getting started.

Thank you very much. I will check those out. :)

So I made a big purchase and bought the Nikon D5100...this is my first dsr camera and I am clueless as to how it works besides the basic auto focus and what not. Anyone recommend any websites or tips themselves on photography or even some books that are worth taking a look at? I know you are probably thinking what an idiot I am but I am only in Hawaii until June and I want to get some pictures before I leave for good and head back to Maryland. I am excited to start this new hobby and I hope to actually take some halfway decent pictures. :)

The manual that came with the camera is your best friend. In case you didn't get a hard copy, here it is in digital format:
http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/kie88335f7869dfuejdl=-cww2/D5100_EN.pdf

Read through the whole manual. It's not that exciting but I learned a lot from it. I have the same camera.

Cambridgeincolour.com has some great information - a little dry

Clickitupanotch.com is a great blog. Full of information for new photographers

If you have any questions about the camera feel free to send me a message and I'll help as best as I can.

I also 2nd the recommendation on the 2 books mentioned above. If you only get 1 - understanding exposure will be more helpful

I also do own the Nikon D5100 dslr camera bought it 3 months ago at the military base still trying to learn the camera as well. So far I really like it takes great photo this Saturday I am going to the camera store to purchase a Nikon SB-700 camera flash I'm going to ask the store owner if he can setup the camera and flash together. I think you will like the camera it rocks.

- Jamie

Thank you all for suggesting all these helpful things. I am excited to test it out. I've only actually taken a handful of pictures the other day with it. I need to figure out all the bells and whistles. :)

Congrats on the new camera. Ken Rockwell's site can be a good read, but take what he says with a grain of salt. Sometimes he's spot on but sometimes he says some silly things. A quick forum search with his name should give you a good idea of what I mean.

As said before the manual and Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson are a great start. I also recommend the Digital Photography series by Scott Kelby who also has great online training courses.

Thanks for the info. I am glad I found this forum!

Congrats on the new camera. Ken Rockwell's site can be a good read, but take what he says with a grain of salt. Sometimes he's spot on but sometimes he says some silly things. A quick forum search with his name should give you a good idea of what I mean.

Haha there cannot be more truth in this statement.

Most reactions

Back