Nikon d600 annoying focus lock

astroNikon

'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I went out today for a test shoot of a soccer team that I used to coach using my d600 instead of the d7000. It went okay, though I have to shoot a little before what I used too - according to memory. basically a split second quicker of when I press the shutter than compared to the d7000, at least it seems that way. And it's slower FPS .. easily recognizable.

But after half time I went to go shoot again and my focus point would NOT MOVE (using d9, and you use the pad selector to move the focus points). I thought it may have been my change of lens but nope, put it back on/off, switched lenses. Power On/Off, etc NOTHING. Oddly you could still scrolls through the menus using the pad selector.

It drove me nuts for a bit. I could have moved to the other side of the field and all would have been well for the action flow. But I wanted my focus point to MOVE.

So I packed up and drove home. Thinking, well, I guess I'll just use my d7000 body as my 600 is now BROKEN.

Well I got home looked at the camera, swapped lenses, nothing.

Since I was at my wits end, I did the one dreaded thing that NO photographer wants to do
I don't think they'll kick me out of this forum for this hideous act.
Yes, take your face out of your hands now and stop crying. It's not that bad as it's only a TEST.

AUTO Mode.

Yes, I succumbed to putting the camera in AUTO.
And I noticed that in auto the camera moved the focus points to where it thought it should be.
Well, I then knew that the focusing system was still operational.

Guess I could have done that by putting the focusing system in AUTO instead of the entire camera eh ? ("eh" - in a canadian bacon type accent)

Then I noticed that the Focus LOCK is surrounding the pad where as on the d7000 it is a separate switch below the pad.

And it was on "L"
Gosh gollee ... I locked the focus point and never knew it.
I've never used Focus Lock before on the d7000. NEVER !!
And on the d7000 it is a harder switch to move and it's out of the way. On the d600 it's now a lighter action switch and RIGHT there with the THUMB.

So now I have to remember that if the focus point ISN'T moving with the pad selector that the lock is ON.

What they need is a Focus Lock selector switch lock for the focus selector lock switch.

mark this one on OPERATOR ERROR

DUH

If anyone wants to donate to the cause of photographer literacy send money to TPSKLC, Detroit Michigan .. The Photographers Soup Kitchen Learning Center
:)

now go back out and shoot.

Yeah, this is kind of one of those "different body, different control" kinda' issues...at least this happened on a kids' soccer game type situation and not say, a once-in-a-lifetime, high pressure event.

well the afternoon real kids soccer game was a different story.
No problem with the focus points.

but a big problem with the 600 stumbling over itself as I try to get a fast continuous shutter.
RAW was too slow
As I made the file size smaller and smaller then it came to life. In FF it like JPEG Medium when it came to life. At that point I might as well stick to the faster fps d7000.

I made sure the focus types were both release, but there were few times when I push the release and NOTHING. I had to repush. hmmm .. interesting.
Most of the time there was no issue (even after a long pause from shooting).

I think I'll play around with the low flying airplanes for a bit and do A v A comparison to the d7000.

Well I went out today for a test shoot of a soccer team that I used to coach using my d600 instead of the d7000. It went okay, though I have to shoot a little before what I used too - according to memory. basically a split second quicker of when I press the shutter than compared to the d7000, at least it seems that way. And it's slower FPS .. easily recognizable.

But after half time I went to go shoot again and my focus point would NOT MOVE (using d9, and you use the pad selector to move the focus points). I thought it may have been my change of lens but nope, put it back on/off, switched lenses. Power On/Off, etc NOTHING. Oddly you could still scrolls through the menus using the pad selector.

It drove me nuts for a bit. I could have moved to the other side of the field and all would have been well for the action flow. But I wanted my focus point to MOVE.

So I packed up and drove home. Thinking, well, I guess I'll just use my d7000 body as my 600 is now BROKEN.

Well I got home looked at the camera, swapped lenses, nothing.

Since I was at my wits end, I did the one dreaded thing that NO photographer wants to do
I don't think they'll kick me out of this forum for this hideous act.
Yes, take your face out of your hands now and stop crying. It's not that bad as it's only a TEST.

AUTO Mode.

Yes, I succumbed to putting the camera in AUTO.
And I noticed that in auto the camera moved the focus points to where it thought it should be.
Well, I then knew that the focusing system was still operational.

Guess I could have done that by putting the focusing system in AUTO instead of the entire camera eh ? ("eh" - in a canadian bacon type accent)

Then I noticed that the Focus LOCK is surrounding the pad where as on the d7000 it is a separate switch below the pad.

And it was on "L"
Gosh gollee ... I locked the focus point and never knew it.
I've never used Focus Lock before on the d7000. NEVER !!
And on the d7000 it is a harder switch to move and it's out of the way. On the d600 it's now a lighter action switch and RIGHT there with the THUMB.

So now I have to remember that if the focus point ISN'T moving with the pad selector that the lock is ON.

What they need is a Focus Lock selector switch lock for the focus selector lock switch.

mark this one on OPERATOR ERROR

DUH

If anyone wants to donate to the cause of photographer literacy send money to TPSKLC, Detroit Michigan .. The Photographers Soup Kitchen Learning Center
:)

now go back out and shoot.

Will Do ...............

Just wondering what brand and specification of storage card was in the D600? If the card isn't particularly fast or high-capability, it might be part of the issue with sluggishness. Do you have good, new, truly FAST cards to shoot onto?

Just wondering what brand and specification of storage card was in the D600? If the card isn't particularly fast or high-capability, it might be part of the issue with sluggishness. Do you have good, new, truly FAST cards to shoot onto?

Sandisk Extreme Pro 95/90 16gb dual cards

I chatted with CostalConn a bit ... and I turned every "helper" feature off, 2nd card as Overflow, etc.

NOW it runs at 5.5 fps and the shutter sound is like it is on my d7000 .. just as fast as it can instead of weird pauses.

I also modified the way I used my Dynamic9 AF .. instead of on the bottom or middle for the center focus point I put it on the top (vertically, not horizontally). Yesterday's soccer game had ALOT of shots out of focus. It was focusing on the fence behind the kids and at f/2.8 it was shoddy. Today while I had it in the middle or lower I noticed it seemed like it was focusing below the focus area. I was focusing on the ball on the other side of the field, The field crests at the middle and falls off on either side. The focus was on a bag on this side of the field which was below the focusing area so I pushed the focus point to the top, the AF readjusted and now alot more photos are in-focus. I'm still going through them but so far the technique I used on my d7000 is now working on the d600 . I just have to kinda imagine the focusing area is larger than it really is .. weird.

I chatted with CostalConn a bit ... and I turned every "helper" feature off, 2nd card as Overflow, etc.

NOW it runs at 5.5 fps and the shutter sound is like it is on my d7000 .. just as fast as it can instead of weird pauses.
Glad I could help out :) Bird photographers are good for something, lol...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back