Nikon D600 Sensor issues, really bad...

Pabs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$zsmudge.jpg

Ok everything was dandy with my D600, had a few minor spots on the sensor but nothing to worry about, now all of a sudden this has happened, I want to swipe clean the sensor but I´m not sure whether the marks are dust or oil, I have tried a rocket blower to no avail, camera has taken about 1000 pics maximum, any advice greatly appreciated.

Looks like you need to grit your teeth and start learning how to clean your sensor.

Get a good cleaning kit and have at it. It's really not the end-of-the-world process you fear it is.

Looks like you need to grit your teeth and start learning how to clean your sensor.

Get a good cleaning kit and have at it. It's really not the end-of-the-world process you fear it is.

Hi Sparky, I´m not afraid of cleaning my sensor, I just don t know if this is dust or oil and depending on this there are different products, at my fingertips I have VisibleDust sensor clean Sensor Clean. Liquid cleaner for sensor. but if in fact its oil on the sensor then this product will just smear the oil and make a right mess?

I heard of oil issues with D600, but this is just awful. Apparently if you send it to Nikon, they not only clean it up but also make sure it doesn't happen again...at least not as badly. I'd call them.

The crud looks really sharp, to me. I confess that I am a trifle suspicious.

Hi Sparky, I´m not afraid of cleaning my sensor, I just don t know if this is dust or oil and depending on this there are different products, at my fingertips I have VisibleDust sensor clean Sensor Clean. Liquid cleaner for sensor. but if in fact its oil on the sensor then this product will just smear the oil and make a right mess?

Use this stuff instead.

Not to accuse you of anything, Pabs, but in my experience, the crud I get on my sensor doesn't render that sharply. Thus, I cannot help but wonder if this is a photoshopped image designed to make the D600 look bad, make Nikon look bad, or to otherwise stir up controversy and debate.

That said, I certainly have not got a wide range of experience with what various things look like on sensors, with various and sundry settings.

Not to accuse you of anything, Pabs, but in my experience, the crud I get on my sensor doesn't render that sharply. Thus, I cannot help but wonder if this is a photoshopped image designed to make the D600 look bad, make Nikon look bad, or to otherwise stir up controversy and debate.

That said, I certainly have not got a wide range of experience with what various things look like on sensors, with various and sundry settings.

Ah I changed the levels in PS to enhance the problem, here is the original, still bloody awful :(

$zsmudge2.jpg

I think the piece of fiber in the bottom middle leads me to believe that it is not on the sensor, rather another optical piece.

I agree, in part because the 'stuff' is not very blurry, which often indicates the 'stuff' is on the rear lens element and not the image sensor.

Though many of today's cameras have an image sensor self-cleaning feature, periodic manual cleaning is still a routine part of owning a DLSR.
There are limits to what the self-cleaning system can do.

There are good and bad practices when changing lenses.
A good practice is to always have the front of the camera pointed down when changing a lens, and getting out of wind to change lenses.

Yeah, just FYI, the usual way to isolate sensor gunk is to:

- stop down all the way
- ISO as low as it will go
- shutter speed suitable or use Av
- indoors pointed at a white wall or similarly plain and light colored background

exposure should come out to a second or two. Wave the camera around a bit as you expose to smear any background out to smoothness.

Then you can really see the sensor crud!

I agree, in part because the 'stuff' is not very blurry, which often indicates the 'stuff' is on the rear lens element and not the image sensor.

Though many of today's cameras have an image sensor self-cleaning feature, periodic manual cleaning is still a routine part of owning a DLSR.
There are limits to what the self-cleaning system can do.

There are good and bad practices when changing lenses.
A good practice is to always have the front of the camera pointed down when changing a lens, and getting out of wind to change lenses.

Hi Kmh, I have tried 3 different lenses and the results are the same :(

It looks like junk on the sensor to me. I just ordered Sensor Swab Type 2 to clean mine with.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Kmh, I have tried 3 different lenses and the results are the same :(

If you just have spots with all lenses, that may still be on the rear elements. If the spots are all in the same locations, then it's on the sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back