Nikon D70 or Canon Rebel XT

Kent Frost said:
I beg to differ unless you're simply converting to grayscale. When I refer to converting to BW, I'm referring to using the channel mixer to achieve the effect of having used colored filters. If you've done it like that, then you should be able to see the loss in quality when viewing the image at actual pixels because of the way you'd be boosting or lowering the three channels that make up your total clarity. In the Rebel XT and the 20D, you can shoot in grayscale mode in the camera with the use of all 3 color sensors, giving you same effect when you use actual colored filters, and you'll have the use of total clarity.
The slight noise increase caused by altering the channel mixer is measurebating and doesn't even show up on the print. You get much greater control by converting to b&w post production. The increase in noise is caused from the fact that you are amplifying each channels noise when you change the RGB relationships in the channel mixer. The more drastic the change, the more noise you will see.

Those cameras are hardly in the same class. The D70 is almost 2 years old and doesn't even have ISO 100 which is a must if you're looking for quality. Nikon lenses are more expensive than Canon made lenses.

This is an old debate both are fine cameras. First, You need to finger out what are your needs and likes. And then review the bodies and lenses to see what best fit your wants from both brands.

Honesty, If your just going to get the a body and a kit lens. Then you could flip a coin and likely would be happy with ether camera.

Image quality being your goal, I'd say that you should check them both out in person to see how they feel in your hand because there isn't really enough of a difference in image quality to stop you from either. I'm part of a Canon/Nikon family so I've had a chance to shoot with both brands (Canon 10D/20D and Nikon D70) and honestly there isn't enough of a difference in image quality to push me either way. They're all great cameras.

I'd check out www.dpreview.com if you want to see more from both cameras. They do extensive reviews of digital cameras and show sample images plus they have unbiased opinions and give great pros and cons for both the rebelxt and the d70.

Happy hunting and let us know how it turns out.

Well, I went with the Nikon D70. After spending some time with the Rebel XT I realized that the body was just too small for my hands. The D70 just felt right. I was able to get a good deal on one from someone whowas upgrading to the D2X.

Congrats! :)

Looking forward to your pictures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back