nikon d70 users

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
A friend of mine is about to make the cross over from film to digital and he's understandably cautious about shelling out all that money for DSLR.

He likes the look of the d70 and has been asking me lots of questions about it. But as i own a 20d i can only tell him so much.

One of the things he wants to know is if it can shoot in B/W mode and sepia tones? I don't know myself. I have explained that it will be better shooting in colour anyway and converting it to his liking later in PS.

another thing he wants to know is, how big will he be able to print the photos before the look crap?

if anyone can answer these for us i would be grateful

thansk

*EDIT* is there any significant shutter lag?

There is no B&W or Sepia mode on the D70. He'd have to, as you suggest, shoot in colour and convert. That's usually the preferred method anyway. There is also no noticeable shutter lag on the D70. I think it's something like 0.2 seconds.

As for how big you can print without it looking crap. There's various formulae out there on the internet that tells you, but I've allways thought that it was a very subjective thing anyway. It will also depend a lot on the quality of the lens.

Ant said:
As for how big you can print without it looking crap. There's various formulae out there on the internet that tells you, but I've allways thought that it was a very subjective thing anyway. It will also depend a lot on the quality of the lens.

As well as how far away the picture will be viewed.

agreed. i've heard that you can easily get 16x20in prints on it that look great. Probably bigger than that, they just wont look as good (But i doubt they'll look 'crap'). I know people that say the 20d cant go past 16x24, and some say that they have printed off humongous four foot murals that look terrific.

ok, thanks for the help. I will let him know.

He's always used nikons so i think he has his heart set on the d70

This is from MPIX:

20X30 In. 2000X3000

Steve :thumbup:

hey what camera film camera did he have before because i think he should start out with something a little easier and cheaper i have the D70 and know its not the easiest to use so tell your freind to buy something like the Sony Cybershot DSC-S85 it shoots in Sepia,B&W,Solarized,Negative Art and regular color

My guess is that he was a film SLR user...I'm only going on that because he asked if there's any shutter lag...something usually someone coming from a film SLR would be worried about in DSLRs.

hes been a photographer for nearly twenty years and for the most part hes used a nikon 801 which is getting on a bit. He currently works as a photogs assistant at the moment and the digital scene has left him behind somewhat.

Also would a digital rebel be something for him to consider?

if he has nikon gear and a tight budget then it's not really worth considering unless canon offers something he really wants that nikon don't have such as... erm... someone help me out here!

Most reactions

Back