Nikon D700

KenL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My brother has a D200 and wanted to get a D300. So, I'm selling my D300 to him and I am going to buy the D700. I'll sell his D200 for him.....

Some recent shots I took of cats in the yard under cloud cover, in shade, gave me "unacceptable" results due to the high ISO used. Now, I don't need high ISO for landscapes - I set to 200-ISO and f8, then let the shutter spreed do the work.

What finally decided me were rumors of a D400 to be announced in March/April. The idea of leaving my D300 for so small a jump made me decide that rather than do that I would jump all the way up to the D700. And no, I won't wait for a D700s and would never consider a D3 sized camera.

My biggest dilemna was that I would have to sell my Nikon 12-24/4 DX and 18-200VR DX lenses. I will sell my 12-24/4 DX lens and replace it with the Nikon 17-35/2.8. But, for now I'll keep the 18-200VR because the D700 does automatically switch to DX when it sees that lens. The issue there is that the switch also means that instead of 12.5 Megapixels at full-frame, you are then using only 5 megapixels in DX mode.

As a walk-around lens, the 18-200VR is just too wonderful to give up right now, at least until I see how the 5 megapixels do, I know that above about 30mm I could still use the full-frame, but we'll see!

I have not ordered a D700 yet. I'm waiting on the 17-35/2.8 first. But I'll probably order the D700 in the next month or so. I'm headed to Fort Lauderdale for two weeks at the end of March, and with luck I'll have a new camera to take along.

Where do you order your cameras from?

I see the dilemma, but at the same time if I could move up to a D700, I would without a doubt. That's the only other Nikon body I would ever want to own.

I don't stick with one place, the best price gets my business within reason. I've bought from B&H, Circuit City, Roberts, and others.

The best price I've seen for the D700 was through Amazon, and that was from J&R Music, although that price has been matched other places too. As long as it is a reputable vendor I don't have a loyalty for buying; preferences yes.

I see the dilemma, but at the same time if I could move up to a D700, I would without a doubt. That's the only other Nikon body I would ever want to own.

Me too for now. In a few years Nikon will undoubtedly have some new candy I just have to try!

You might consider that Nikon is probably going to release a D700s very soon. (or some other comparable upgrade)

And also if they do come out with the d700s then the price on the d700 should go down some and you can i'm sure find a better deal. Or the d700s might have something really nice that will change your mind. Either way d700 is amazing so enjoy.
TJ

The best price I found for the D700 is Photo4less.com. Since then, I have also bought a couple of lenses. Not dissappointed in the least.

KenL: the 12-24DX lens is one of the anomolies, whereas you can get the full frame rather than the cut down version. Read Thom Hogans review.

I've heard rumors of the D700x, and the D700s. The x version coming with the 24mp sensor, and the 700s retaining the same sensor, just adding video like the 300s did.

I would say the D700x if it actually came out would be sweet, but a version with just a video upgrade would be just pointless in my opinion. Video functionality on a Pro level camera like that, is probably not very utilized.

Well what I can tell you for certain, is if Nikon releases a D700s it's not JUST going to have video added. If they had a similar improvement to the ISO performance that the D3s had, then that in itself would justify the upgrade, for me and many others.

If it's the same sensor carrying over, how good could the ISO performance be enhanced? Would it be a IQ lab comparison test that would be the only way to show the difference?

I still say a new D3s sensor would be sick, anything else wouldn't be worth it IMHO.

Well what I can tell you for certain, is if Nikon releases a D700s it's not JUST going to have video added. If they had a similar improvement to the ISO performance that the D3s had, then that in itself would justify the upgrade, for me and many others.
If it drove the price down for the D700 a good bit, the D700 would be the better deal I think. The high ISO on the D700 is as good as the 1D4 or any other current body (except the D3s) but even then it's not that far behind the D3s.

If they upgraded the AF system or gave it dual card slots that would be more enticing than another 1/2 stop high ISO improvement. Heck, with a little NR the current D700 can easily do 12800.

Well what I can tell you for certain, is if Nikon releases a .....
:confused:

Where is your certainty based?

Do you mean what is my certainty based on? Um common sense? Do you really think Canon, Nikon, or any camera company for that matter, would come out with a new camera and the ONLY addition to their previous model is video?

I'll bet you my D90 to your D700, I'm that certain!

If it drove the price down for the D700 a good bit, the D700 would be the better deal I think. The high ISO on the D700 is as good as the 1D4 or any other current body (except the D3s) but even then it's not that far behind the D3s.

If they upgraded the AF system or gave it dual card slots that would be more enticing than another 1/2 stop high ISO improvement. Heck, with a little NR the current D700 can easily do 12800.

Hmm, I take it back then. I wasn't aware the D700 was as good in the ISO category as the 1D4...In that case heck, I really want a D700 now!

I've read opinions that should Nikon try to put more D3s type features in the D700 it might push the price-point too high, especially trying to go to 24 megapixels.

Years ago when I had a good Canon P&S it had video ability, and I used it from time to time, but in a DSLR I could take it or leave it. I'd use it, but won't wait for that feature in a D700.

They could also add an articulated LCD, which for tripod work would be welcome. Just as the Live View feature that I have now in the D300 is something I often use.

In a couple of years I'll be selling the D700 for the new, can't live without, gotta have camera and gee-whiz features!

Most reactions

Back