What's new

Nikon D7000 grip stabiity..... Issue or no?

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
3,241
Reaction score
911
Location
Minneapolis, MN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, not too long ago, I went and dropped a grip on a grip for the D7000. Get it home and love it.

Now, I'm noticing that it isn't as completely secure and stable as I like. It seems to wiggle side to side ever so slightly, and with a heavy lens on the camera, I swear I can feel the grip mount flex a bit shifting from landscape to portrait and vice versa.

Anyone else expereince this? I just seems that for the incredible amount of money they ask for these things, they sould be built a bit more rock solid.
 
Are you sure it was tightened completely?
 
I've read similar account over at Nikonians. One member suggested placing a strip of a paper towel on each side of the mounting screw.
 
I've read similar account over at Nikonians. One member suggested placing a strip of a paper towel on each side of the mounting screw.


Can you elaborate on this? I guess I just can't visualize it.
 
Can you elaborate on this? I guess I just can't visualize it.

I can't find the thread right now. But I visualize little strips of paper, one across the front and one across the back.

ETA: Foudn it. Here's a quote from it:

"Yea, mine had a little rock to it. What I did was to cut 2 small strips of paper towel and place them strategically on the bottom of the camera. Then fit the grip. Now it feels bulletproof."
 
Can you elaborate on this? I guess I just can't visualize it.

I can't find the thread right now. But I visualize little strips of paper, one across the front and one across the back.

Ok, like a buffer between the body and grip, not wrapped around the screw itself.

Thanks! I will give it a shot.
 
Is it a Nikon or a cheap copy ?
 
Is it a Nikon or a cheap copy ?

100% Nikon. I wanted the peace of mind of having the brand name on it, and buying it at a mom n pop shop rather than some faceless web presence in China.

Issue resolved. The problem was actually the plastic locator pin the fits into the body nearest the contacts. There was a little wiggle there. I put a one thickness wrap of plastic scotch tape around it, and now its snug as can be. As far as the perceived flex with the heavier lenses, I think that might be a figment of my imagination. Time will tell on that one.

ETA... after playing with it for another few moments, I think the perceived flexing is actually a factor of the different weight distribution between landscape and portrait orientation. The lens sits slightly lower in portrait than it does in landscape.

It's a good thing I don't overanalyze things, right? :lol:
 
Last edited:
Mine is has a little play in the grip. nothing to worry about IMO since it screwed really tightly..ill try the paper trick tonight. i shot the camera holding it by the grip using a 24-70 and a 70-200 many time without any problem.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom