Nikon D7000 or Canon EOS 7D for amateur

suzette

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I mainly take wildlife action shots, some stills, plus horse shows and soccer. I have been using Nikon D40 with telephoto nikon Lens.

I am debating between waiting on the Nikon D7000 or purchase a Canon EOS 7D. My only problem with the Cannon is that I have 3 nice Nikon Lens and have read they won't fit on the Cannon.

Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would say 7D but its a unfair comparison. 7D vs D300 would be more in line, and yeah I agree with Neil you are opening up a real bad bag of worms if you start asking whats better Canon or Nikon. There both great systems and you can't go wrong with any of them. Might be better to just check reviews if you deciding between brands Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ is the best of the bunch in my opinion ( and many others ) there awesome!

Keep in mind though on your OP the D7000 is just coming out where the 7D has been out for awhile and will probably be getting replaced in the not so distant future.

Good luck

Thanks guys. Sorry....i am new to the site and did not know I was opening a can of worms.
I kinda wanted to go with the Canon, but have not read where anyone successfully used the Nikon lens with the Canon.
Also, the clerk at the store said the Canon might be a little difficult for me to use.

Thanks guys. Sorry....i am new to the site and did not know I was opening a can of worms.
I kinda wanted to go with the Canon, but have not read where anyone successfully used the Nikon lens with the Canon.
Also, the clerk at the store said the Canon might be a little difficult for me to use.

There are just some pretty strong opinions about the two brands, in the photo community.

I agree with Idaho, and they both make great cameras.

What I would suggest is that you do lots of research. Read reviews, and look at the info on the official websites.

Shopping for a new camera is always fun!

Your Nikon lenses are not compatible with a Canon camera. Well, technically, you could use them with an adapter, but they wouldn't auto focus or auto anything...so just avoid that situation.

So unless you want to buy all new lenses, I'd suggest sticking with Nikon.

I'm out of touch with the newer Nikon cameras, but the Canon 7D is the best APS-C (crop sensor) camera. As mentioned, is compares more with the Nikon D300...so it's probably the 'better' camera...just not the best option for you.

There are just some pretty strong opinions about the two brands, in the photo community.
If you hadn't brought it up, it wouldn't be an issue in this thread...it's not anyway...but there is no reason for your first post.

If you hadn't brought it up, it wouldn't be an issue in this thread...it's not anyway...but there is no reason for your first post.

Ya I guess you are right, looking back.

I deleted it.

When you decide Canon or Nikon, you should be thinking long term and buying into a brand. While some switch, its not something feasible for the majority of us.

While for one year, one manufacturer will seem better, give the competitor some time and they will bounce back.

So if you went with Nikon, and you have good Nikon lenses, then I'd stick with Nikon. If you switched to Canon because of a camera body you like, in a few months, you might regret it as Nikon might come out with something newer.

Just buy another Nikon. Dilemma resolved.

Just buy another Nikon. Dilemma resolved.

lol

I saw this coming a mile away! :lol:

Actually you are probably right though, seems silly to switch if you are invested in Nikon glass.

The D7000 sure is sexy too, as I have already said many times here.

The 7D is definately better, but if you already have Nikon lenses and are familiar with their layouts and handling, there's really no reason to switch. Get the D7000 and enjoy it for the very nice camera that it is.

Do we know what Nikon lenses are had? A co-worker told me she had an amazing telephoto lens for Canon that was so uberly awesome. Its a 55-250. Don't get me wrong, its a good start lens, but its not a lens that is considered amazing.

So what one says is one's perception, which is totally fine.

If the OP has kit Nikon stuff, and they are prepared to invest in buying new lenses along with a new body (which they will at some point to replace their kit stuff), then a Canon 7D can be in the cards, can it not?

Lets say - Nikon D40, 18-55, 70-300, 50 1.8
Without consideration of budget, cCould be replaced by a 7D and 70-200 2.8L or the new 70-300 L

My only problem with the Cannon is that I have 3 nice Nikon Lens and have read they won't fit on the Cannon.

Canon only has one, N.

Each camera make has a unique mount design. So Canon lenses will not mount directly on Nikon, Pentax, Fuji or other cameras, without an adaptor.

An adaptor then changes the back of the lens to image sensor distance and may not accommodate all the electronic connections between camera and lens.

Currently Canon cameras have 2 different mounts: the EF mount and the EF-S mount. That means Canon has 2 classes of camera too. The entry-level Canon cameras can mount both EF and EF-S lenses. The more expensive Canon cameras will only work with EF mount lenses. The EF-S lenses will mount on those cameras, but they block the movement of the viewfinder mirror. Canon has used the EF mount since 1987.

Nikon camera's have used the F-mount since 1959. Any Nikon lens made today will mount and function on any Nikon DSLR made today. However, Nikon still has a few older design lenses that will only manual focus on their entry-level cameras, though they also have equivelent newer (and generally less expensive) design lenses that will auto focus on those same entry level cameras

I'm with Derrel, get the Nikon and your problem is solved.

I mainly take wildlife action shots, some stills, plus horse shows and soccer. I have been using Nikon D40 with telephoto nikon Lens.

I am debating between waiting on the Nikon D7000 or purchase a Canon EOS 7D. My only problem with the Cannon is that I have 3 nice Nikon Lens and have read they won't fit on the Cannon.

Although the 7D is arguably better, the D7000 is still a comparable camera and in no way is it a bad choice if you go with it. I say stay with Nikon as you already have a few lenses for it. You wont be unset with that decision. The 7D is indeed an excellent camera, but now you have to buy new lenses.

Which lenses do you have?

Most reactions

Back