Nikon D7000?

cjweaver13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Somebody on craigslist has a Nikon D7000 for $250 with only about 300 shots taken. I use a Sony A6000 right now. Is the Nikon still a good camera being as it's a little older? I want something as a backup, or something to dedicate towards astrophotography. Thanks for any input!

I had a D7000 for years. It was a great camera. 16mp sensor. ISO is good up to 1600.

Durable, consistent and never had a problem. Though some people had a problem with backfocusing.

Fully featured DSLR good for astrophotography as it has the Mup Feature found on that level and higher cameras. MirrorUp versus just a delay found on lower Nikon cameras.

I used it for years for general astro work and connected to a Meade 90-ETX, 125ETX and LX-200-12.

I had a D7000 for years. It was a great camera. 16mp sensor. ISO is good up to 1600.

Durable, consistent and never had a problem. Though some people had a problem with backfocusing.

Fully featured DSLR good for astrophotography as it has the Mup Feature found on that level and higher cameras. MirrorUp versus just a delay found on lower Nikon cameras.

I used it for years for general astro work and connected to a Meade 90-ETX, 125ETX and LX-200-12.

What is the MUP feature? hopefully not a dumb question lol. And do you have any exmples of a photo you took with it still?

MuP - MirrorUP.
Useful in BULB mode. otherwise it's just a delay of the shutter release.

It is a feature on the top left dial that allows you upon first pressing the release (shutter button either on the camera or a remote release) to Raise the Mirror. Then the Next press of the release will activate the Shutter. It's up to you to press the shutter a second time. So you could wait 1 second, 3 seconds, 10 seconds, 1 minute .. etc.

Then the 3 time you press it will close the Shutter for any long exposure. So you can manually take a long exposure, or use a timer, etc.

The lower cameras I believe only have a 3 second wait which I've found in tests to not be long enough to prevent the MirrorSlap from vibrating the entire tripod setup/camera. Depending upon tripod, wind, not moving as even on a cement pad I've notice star movement from walking on the cement pad. So I've always preferred the MuP feature in Nikons. Some Canon DSLRs have electronic shutters (like in Mirrorless).

You can use MuP for anything. Astro work, landscapes, architectural, any time you want to control the time from mirrorslap, to shutter release. I use it for many things including when I test a camera/lens' combo image IQ. There's really nothing to "show" you in relation to MuP.

Mirror Lockup (MUP) on the Nikon D7100 - dummies

Last edited:
MuP - MirrorUP.
Useful in BULB mode. otherwise it's just a delay of the shutter release.

It is a feature on the top left dial that allows you upon first pressing the release (shutter button either on the camera or a remote release) to Raise the Mirror. Then the Next press of the release will activate the Shutter. It's up to you to press the shutter a second time. So you could wait 1 second, 3 seconds, 10 seconds, 1 minute .. etc.

Then the 3 time you press it will close the Shutter for any long exposure. So you can manually take a long exposure, or use a timer, etc.

The lower cameras I believe only have a 3 second wait which I've found in tests to not be long enough to prevent the MirrorSlap from vibrating the entire tripod setup/camera. Depending upon tripod, wind, not moving as even on a cement pad I've notice star movement from walking on the cement pad. So I've always preferred the MuP feature in Nikons. Some Canon DSLRs have electronic shutters (like in Mirrorless).

You can use MuP for anything. Astro work, landscapes, architectural, any time you want to control the time from mirrorslap, to shutter release. I use it for many things including when I test a camera/lens' combo image IQ. There's really nothing to "show" you in relation to MuP.

Mirror Lockup (MUP) on the Nikon D7100 - dummies

This is great info thanks! I've only every used plain bulb mode. And for pics I just meant in general you've taken with the camera that's all

Everything on This Web Page (don't worry, it's on my web site and I know it's safe) from November 9, 2013 and earlier was shot with a D7000. After November 9 they were shot with a D7100. I still have both cameras.

Everything on This Web Page (don't worry, it's on my web site and I know it's safe) from November 9, 2013 and earlier was shot with a D7000. After November 9 they were shot with a D7100. I still have both cameras.

Thanks for the share. I also liked the D90 photos simply because that is what I learned on back in college when I first started getting into photography. Always liked Nikons better than Canon for some reason, but I don't want to start that debate! I lived in Mississippi for half a year and went through Tennessee, so I appreciate alot of the pictures nice job!

And some ex-pros use even older models effectively.
See my signature.

Keith, I think you prove a point alot of people make. Give a good photographer an old wind up and click shot and Adobe, and they will come out with better photos than an amateur with a $5k setup. All this makes me very comfortable with the camera basically lol

And some ex-pros use even older models effectively.
See my signature.

Keith, I think you prove a point alot of people make. Give a good photographer an old wind up and click shot and Adobe, and they will come out with better photos than an amateur with a $5k setup. All this makes me very comfortable with the camera basically lol
It's a full featured camera. you'll love it.

I've owned two d7000 bodies. The first was incredible.

The second back focused terribly though nikon claimed it was fine.

I've owned two D7000 bodies. I found it to be a good, versatile, multi-featured crop body. The D7100 and D7200 are significant upgrades over it. But if it fits your needs in terms of ISO, fps, weather proofing, then go for it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back