Now that the D3x is out, has anyone heard any rumors that Nikon is planning on putting the D3x sensor into the D700 body and coming up with something like a D700x?
Nikon will try to sell all the stock they can at the ridiculous price tag, finally lower the price, and then introduce a D700x once they have yet a newer sensor for the next iteration of the D3.
I don't see a market for it. The D3x is rather the specialty product whereas the D3 was something that made photographers of all kinds wet themselves. I doubt a D700x would sell, and if it did the D3x wouldn't
The only reason they might do something like this is to own the shelf. Manufacturers in highly competitive markets will create multiple versions of a nearly identical product so that a buyer at a BigBox retailer walks up to the shelf and sees one manufacturer owning it. Sony perfected this strategy with a number of their products, and are doing the same thing now in the camera segment. Canon and Nikon may follow suit.
I HOPE they do something like the D700x, I've been watching the price drop steadily on the D700 since it's introduction, and am hoping it'll eventually hit the $1500 point;
To enjoy the FF world, I bought a film camera, but there is something to just being able to see what you shot immediately and taking the shot again - the D700 is on my '09 Xmas list, haha!