Nikon D70s vs SB-28 = iTTL vs TTL ???

cumi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I tried my friends SB-28 Flash on my D70s (with 18-70), but it didn't wanted to fire. The flash sign on the top of my camera was blinking. The manual says, that it's because "the external flash can not be used in iTTL mode and it's TTL set".

Can the SB-28 (or any older Nikon flash) be used in iTTL mode (not Standard TTL)?

If my D70s is set to manual mode (M) or spot metering at (P, S, A) it will use Standard TTL, otherwise iTTL.

Should have I forced my D70s to use Standard-TTL with setting to spot-metering mode?

I set the flash to manual and it worked, but all the pics were hopelessly overexposed (to strong flash). The flash itself was pointing top and not on subject (90° rotated top).

Another question: can the iTTL-mode work properly when bouncing the flash not directly to subject? How/Why? It does those "test"-flashes in this case too?

Thanks,

There are only 2 flashes that work with the d70s in iTTL or even TTL and that is the sb-600 and 800. I was annoyed to find that my sb-80dx only works in manual or apature mode. It doesn't take that much longer to setup but does make it a pain to worry with the flash at times. To get the flash to fire put it in manual mode or apature mode and it should work ok.

cumi said:
If my D70s is set to manual mode (M) or spot metering at (P, S, A) it will use Standard TTL, otherwise iTTL.

OK, Sorry, this is not correct. D70s is using all the time iTTL, but in the second mode mentioned above it's fill-flash-iTTL.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back