Nikon D7200 officially announced (02-Mar-2015)

So does it have the AF motor? Sorry, I haven't been keeping up. If not, that would be weak.

yes. it's the same camera with improvements.

Local camera store here in Finland just announced they will be selling the d7200 for 1100 euros. they currently have the 7100 for 900 euros. But I think there maybe some special offer about to happen with the 7100 as they have 89 in stock with 75 that came in just yesterday.

My guess is Nikon's Finland distribution arm lowered the dealer price on the D7100, as an inducement to help clear the channel. When a new model is announced, it can stimulate interest, especially among enthusiast photographers, many of whom have sort of been trained to wait before purchasing, in order to get a really good price. The D7100 is an enthusiast's camera, more so than an entry-level buyer's camera, and there are probably enough people who will be happy to upgrade from their D90 or D7000 to a D7100 that is offered at a good price.

Also, when a new model is announced, the news can send more than a few people into stores with possibly buying a new camera on their minds--and D7200 models are NOT in stores yet, so it make sense to HAVE some D7100 inventory in stock. And again, if the inventory is something that at one time sold for say, $1200, but is now at $900, that makes a good salesman's job a lot easier than if the item is at full-bore, full-retail pricing. I used to sell cameras and video gear at retail, and there are all types of customers, and sales have to be made during the introductory phase of every single model, during the majority of its life span, and also once a model has been supplanted, and then eventually, discontinued. The introduction of a new model often helps stimulate a lot of sales on the model it is replacing.

Last edited:
Something's gotta give in what manner exactly? The D7100 was the same price (Body Only) when it first came out, now it's ~$300 USD less. Nikon still lists the D7000 at the same price as the D7100.

Hmmm. Just shy of a 50% increase over the D7100 for marginal improvements? Brilliant.

The retail on the D7100 is still $1160C. 1160/1400 = 18% price "increase" for "marginal" improvements.

Your percent increase calculation is wrong.

100×(New - original)/original

240/1160 gives approximately 20.7% increase.

Now let's not get in a holy war in how markup uses the "opposite" convention.

Something's gotta give in what manner exactly? The D7100 was the same price (Body Only) when it first came out, now it's ~$300 USD less. Nikon still lists the D7000 at the same price as the D7100.

Hmmm. Just shy of a 50% increase over the D7100 for marginal improvements? Brilliant.

The retail on the D7100 is still $1160C. 1160/1400 = 18% price "increase" for "marginal" improvements.

Your percent increase calculation is wrong.

100×(New - original)/original

240/1160 gives approximately 20.7% increase.

Now let's not get in a holy war in how markup uses the "opposite" convention.

Irrelevant anyway since those numbers he used were wrong for my area, apart from any numeracy issues.

Irrelevant anyway since those numbers he used were wrong for my area, apart from any numeracy issues.
I was going by Nikon.ca. That's their retail price in CAD. although it seems like a $210CAD deal is ongoing for the D7100.

I was going by Nikon.ca. That's their retail price in CAD. although it seems like a $210CAD deal is ongoing for the D7100.

Save some face by exploring the difference between MSRP and "street" pricing in your backyard before presuming it's any different elsewhere.

The street price is 999 here. Nikon is listed at 999. Face saved.

Anywayz. The point is the d7100 is a good price right now, and not that the d7200 is nessecarily overpriced. It's selling for exactly the same release price and much cheaper than the 7d2.

using tapatalk.

D7100 currently is 959$ at Blacks
D7200 is 1399$C at Henrys

The asking price of a new camera is always full price for the first 2-3 months, its for idiots like me who cant contain themselves and buy the camera at top price. Wait these few months and the price will drop by a couple hunderds of dollars, this happened with the D7000, D7100 and now D7200.
Its marketing.
I believe the D7100 when brand new was 1199$C thats when our might Canadian Dollar was much higher then now!
Now that we are around 80cents USD per one of our dollars the price here is pretty much same as 2 years ago. Its not Nikons prices but the Loonie tanking like there is no tomorrow against US Dollar.

D7100 currently is 959$ at Blacks
D7200 is 1399$C at Henrys

The asking price of a new camera is always full price for the first 2-3 months, its for idiots like me who cant contain themselves and buy the camera at top price. Wait these few months and the price will drop by a couple hunderds of dollars, this happened with the D7000, D7100 and now D7200.
Its marketing.
I believe the D7100 when brand new was 1199$C thats when our might Canadian Dollar was much higher then now!
Now that we are around 80cents USD per one of our dollars the price here is pretty much same as 2 years ago. Its not Nikons prices but the Loonie tanking like there is no tomorrow against US Dollar.

It's different this time. Nikon.ca seems intent on robbing Canadians at C$1399 and I suspect dealers around the GTA will cut this to around C$1200 far faster than before. A C$400 price spread between the D7100 and D7200 simply won't last. Compare this to Fujifilm.ca's nominal parity pricing on the new X-T1 body: US$1199/C$1199, which actually makes it something of a bargain for US buyers.

Wonder how long D7100 prices will stay above C$900 once the D7200 surfaces?

I still dont quite understand why you're annoyed that the brand new D7200 is priced where it is and not where the current 2-yo model is. I doesn't make any sense to price a brand new improved camera at a discount.

Are you annoyed that the D7100 is still priced too high in your opinion or both?

Last edited:
I'm still using my D7000, this might be the upgrade for me. The biggest improvement I see is the buffer and maybe an improved auto focus over my D7000.

Thank GOD ! so tired of hearing about it, not impressed. Now we will be hearing, wait for the D7300 for the next 3 years !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I like the new buffer
Buffer Capacity (With 16GB Class 10 SD Card) • NEF (RAW), Lossless Compressed, 12-bit: 27 Shots • NEF (RAW)), Lossless Compressed 14-bit: 18 Shots • JPEG/Fine/Large: 100 shots

Buffer Capacity (With 16GB Class 10 SD Card) • NEF (RAW), Lossless Compressed, 12-bit: 7 Shots • NEF (RAW)), Lossless Compressed 14-bit: 6 Shots • JPEG/Fine/Large: 33 shots

Most reactions

Back