Nikon 1 AW1 Announced

raventepes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon 1 AW1 is world's first rugged, waterproof digital mirrorless: Digital Photography Review

I can see its application in that it fills a niche in the market, but spec-wise, it seems to be nothing more than a sealed up version of the Nikon 1 J3, which is slightly disappointing. While an 11-27.5mm was announced to pair with it, again, with all weather sealing, It all just feels underwhelming. While I appreciate weather proofing, I don't entirely think this is the answer Nikon needs for any kind of relevance in a market they're failing in.

If Nikon insists on being in the CSC market, they seriously need to step up their game and bring it to Olympus' standards. Their products consistently a seem to be over priced for they performance the provide, and I'll just go ahead and assume that the AW1 will be no different.

Where's Nikon's ingenuity? Where's that spark that got them to the top of the DSLR market? Something seriously got lost in translation when they began their mirrorless system.

Looking at it, I have some reservations about the "shockproof" claim! I'd like to put that to the test.

That finish isn't going to be shockproof from what it looks like, but you know, that would actually be close to the perfect camera for me... My Sea and Sea 35mm isn't exactly made for someone who has no idea what they're doing underwater. And that I don't.

I have to admit. I'm really curious about the new AW system. It sounds practical, especially for people who want to take it underwater, but from what I understand, it uses a new mount system that only accepts AW lenses, which I really don't care for. Any existing Nikon 1 users would potentially have to downgrade their bodies (say, if they use a Nikon 1 V2) and sell their lenses if they want to switch. Or the other alternative would be to buy duplicate lenses or get into its new system all together. Hmmm...

From looking at this a little and the recent stuff I've been studying about street photography, this seems to me to have potential for that. I was just thinking that using that 10mm f/2.8 on it could be pretty cool for street stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back