What's new

Nikon D80 lens question

Lager023

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 6, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Arizona
I have a Nikon D80 with a Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G lens. I'm looking to upgrade to a 500mm lens because I mainly use the camera for wildlife/bird photos. My question is: is it better to get a Sigma or Tamron 500mm lens or get the AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G lens with a teleconverter? My current lens is not compatible with a teleconverter as far as I know. And my budget is $2,000 or less.
 
Personally, I would go for the Sigma but will admit I have no experience with the Tamron so that is a pretty subjective decision on my part. Which lenses are you looking at? The 50-500? 150-500?

Allan
 
I'm looking at the 150-500mm for the Sigma, and just started looking at the Nikon 80-400mm as well
 
That's a tough choice, to would depend on how critical that extra 100mm was to what I was shooting.

Allan
 
Don't get the 28-300 with a view to putting a tele on it. Auto focus will be grim if it works at all and it will be a very slow lens. Almost within your budget, the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 is a great lens, +1.4 tele converter, not quite 500mm at full frame but on your crop sensor equivalent to over 600mm. I wouldn't bother with a 2x converter unless your desperate. It's probably a bit above your budget but they do come up second hand occasionally. I've had no experience of the Sigma 150-500 or 50-500 but looking at shots online they apppear a bit soft at 500 and there are an awful lot available second hand. The only other Sigma I'd buy at 500mm focal length is Sigma 500mm f/4.5 APO EX DG - lovely lens, I'm still saving :grumpy:
 
IIRC you can't use the 28-300 mm with a TC anyway.

Superzoom's (10x+) are a collection of design compromises that have an adverse effect on image quality when one is used at it's extremes of aperture, focal length and focus distance.

The Sigma 150-500 is a great lens for the money. I had a couple that got used on the D90, D200, D300 for daytime field sports, and the occasional bald eagle.
Hwy14Eagle11x14.jpg
 
This is what I use for shooting wildlife, cost me less then $2000:

600edifJohn.JPG



Of course you have to not mind mind metering and focusing manually (flying birds can be a challenge). This lens also requires a monopod or tripod.

600mm wide open! =

monkey_by_djacob372-d33ry83.jpg


hippo_sees_you_by_djacob372-d33ry6g.jpg
 
I agree dont get the 300 with the teleconverter, too dark.
With that kind of budget have you considered the nikon 200-400? I hear its a killer lens.
For my D90 I use a 500mm nikon mirror lens I bought used for $350. Manual focus and f/8 but its got reach. (and cheap!)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom