Nikon D80

I disagree... there are some excellent variable focus lenses that are inexpensive.
I have the 18-55 and the 55-200 VR. In the right light, they are excellent lenses!

So are you saying the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens that comes with the D40 is no good? Even for a beginner on a budget?

I don't know what he's saying, but it's a great lens. Sure, it feels pretty cheap and focusing manually with it is pretty nasty, but, optically, it's quite good. And, really, that's what matters.

Hey epp, I noticed you use a D40, do you have an online album I could take a look at some of your work?

Hey epp, I noticed you use a D40, do you have an online album I could take a look at some of your work?
I don't have an album, per se, but all of my posts with pictures in this thread are taken with the D40.

Any photos in my posts on this forum were also taken with the D40.

They are all edited at least a little bit, not that they don't look great straight from the camera.

A model of camera does not a good photo make.

You could look at photos all day and never tell what camera made them.

Of course not, but you can still get an idea of what the camera body + lense is capable of producing. I'm not saying "Show me pictures of what I can do as soon as I touch the camera". I'm saying "Let me see some ideas of what it can produce assuming I get good enough".

I recommend it for first DSLR.
A bit late with the recommendation - I suspect that a camera has already been bought since the post is from September 2008.
But if someone new to photography is searching for advice he still can find it...
The D80 was a good camera and is still usable if you are strapped for money, I have a D60 which is even older and that is also a good camera for those who cant afford more but come on seriously the D80 is an old, old, old camera!
If you feel the need to recommend a camera then recommend something newer and more current.
Nothing wrong with the D80 but its time to move on.

The D80 came out in 2006.
The D60 came out 2 years later in 2008.

8 years is "old, old, old" ? LOL.

The D80 came out in 2006.
The D60 came out 2 years later in 2008.

8 years is "old, old, old" ? LOL.
Really ?
And here I thought numbers go up not down, I see Nikon was always weird with its numbering system.
2..6 ha ?
Well then let me add one more OLD to that few olds I mentioned before.

If you cant afford anything else then these oldies will work but honestly with just a little bit more you can get a nice used D5100 which is miles better then these old cameras.

BTW did I mentioned they are old ?

Speaking of old, you guys do know this is a 6-year-old zombie thread, right?

A bit late with the recommendation - I suspect that a camera has already been bought since the post is from September 2008.
But if someone new to photography is searching for advice he still can find it...
The D80 was a good camera and is still usable if you are strapped for money, I have a D60 which is even older and that is also a good camera for those who cant afford more but come on seriously the D80 is an old, old, old camera!
If you feel the need to recommend a camera then recommend something newer and more current.
Its not. I got it and with 50mm f/1.8 G lens I shoot as good photos as D3300 shoots with kit.

Its not. I got it and with 50mm f/1.8 G lens I shoot as good photos as D3300 shoots with kit.
My D60 in good light shoots photos just as good as my D750
Its a good lighting camera only, I stand behind my statement that for few more dollars I rather get the D5100 if its my only camera.
My D60 is on my stand ready to be used and at home or back yard if the sun is out. Its a nice second body camera, if I had one camera and was starpped for cash I would get a D5100 which is probably about 100$-150$ more and 10 times better in low light and better DR and better AF system.

My D60 in good light shoots photos just as good as my D750
Its a good lighting camera only, I stand behind my statement that for few more dollars I rather get the D5100 if its my only camera.
My D60 is on my stand ready to be used and at home or back yard if the sun is out. Its a nice second body camera, if I had one camera and was starpped for cash I would get a D5100 which is probably about 100$-150$ more and 10 times better in low light and better DR and better AF system.
Not same here. Here 5100 is about double as D80...

Most reactions

Back