Nikon d800

Dominik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am going to be buying a new body this year, preferably an FX body and I am wondering about the d800. I mainly will be shooting concerts and landscape photography so I am wondering how will it do for these two areas? Or I could go for a used D3s... So please leave your input :D! Thank you!

If you are looking for ISO performance the d600 isnt droping the d800 or even better. And it cost about a thousand dollar less the d800 (about 2000$ body only). If you take the same photo with the nikon d600 and the 800 and crop it to 100% the result will be about the same because the d800 got 12 megapixels more than the d800 the d600 also got very high megapixels just not ridiculesly high (d600 24 vs d800 36)
Think about what you want and need the d600 is a semi pro FX camera that reminds more the
D-thousand series, and the d800
Reminds more the single number series.
Take a little time to think with yourself watch head to head previews learn as much as you can from the net.

Hope you're gonna choose what best for you.

Have an awesome day man...

If you are looking for ISO performance the d600 isnt droping the d800 or even better. And it cost about a thousand dollar less the d800 (about 2000$ body only). If you take the same photo with the nikon d600 and the 800 and crop it to 100% the result will be about the same because the d800 got 12 megapixels more than the d800 the d600 also got very high megapixels just not ridiculesly high (d600 24 vs d800 36)
Think about what you want and need the d600 is a semi pro FX camera that reminds more the
Take a little time to think with yourself watch head to head previews learn as much as you can from the net.

Really?

The D600 is an entry level FX body (basically a D7000 with an FX sensor stuffed in it) with some limitations (less MP (12), 39 AF points vs 51, slower FPS, less bracketing capability (both exposure and WB), slower max shutter, plastic body vs. metal body, 2 SD cards vs CF.. much faster!, etc...) gotta justify that lower price!...

All depends on what you want. I will say the D800's "ridiculously High" MP does make a difference... is it needed? Maybe, maybe not!

Sensor performance is very similar on both of them... DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

600-800.jpg

If you have good glass, you will get good results from either...

The FPS rate for the d600 is 5.5 and for the d800 is 4 the. Tge d600 results are stunning and i cant see any reason for anyone not to buy it, Yes its not a full magnesium body and it is'nt got 51 focus point and the max shutter speed is 1/4000 and the bracketing capability is lower than the d800. But take a sec and think..... Do you really need all the features the d600 dont have and the d800 do.
I was in the very same problem, i was like 2 seconds away from buying the d800 and then i realised, do i really need it?..
The d600 is a wonderful camera there is no doubt in my mind that if you get you wont regret it.
Hope you'll be happy with your decision....

Really?

The D600 is an entry level FX body (basically a D7000 with an FX sensor stuffed in it) with some limitations (less MP (12), 39 AF points vs 51, slower FPS, less bracketing capability (both exposure and WB), slower max shutter, plastic body vs. metal body, 2 SD cards vs CF.. much faster!, etc...) gotta justify that lower price!...

All depends on what you want. I will say the D800's "ridiculously High" MP does make a difference... is it needed? Maybe, maybe not!

Sensor performance is very similar on both of them... DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

600-800.jpg

Ditto^^ The OP didn't even say that he was considering a D600 (which is a fine camera by the way), he said he was deciding between a new D800 or a D3s. If I tell someone I am buying a new car and it's between a Porsche turbo Carrera and a Ferrari California and want to know which you would choose, one normally wouldn't say "go buy a Corvette" (a fine car but not in the same league, oh, and i DIDN'T ASK ABOUT A CORVETTE!).

Okay now my rant is over.... :)

The D800 (D800e) is a fantastic camera for landscapes, concerts and any other telephoto work. There is no better DSLR on the market for this work. You could just point in the general direction shoot in raw, and "frame up" in post. It's THAT good with all those MPs. It excels in all other categories but there are better choices if you need high FPS or magical portraits (although I have taken some portraits with the d800 that literally took my breath away). The D3s is still being touted as among the finest Portrait digital cameras Nikon ever put out, and I love mine but if I am shooting a concert or landscape, it stays in the bag most of the time. Both cameras are exemplary.

I would highly recommend the D800 based on your BRIEF description of your needs. You will be very pleased with your choice.

Ditto^^ The OP didn't even say that he was considering a D600 (which is a fine camera by the way), he said he was deciding between a new D800 or a D3s. If I tell someone I am buying a new car and it's between a Porsche turbo Carrera and a Ferrari California and want to know which you would choose, one normally wouldn't say "go buy a Corvette" (a fine car but not in the same league, oh, and i DIDN'T ASK ABOUT A CORVETTE!).

The D800 (D800e) is a fantastic camera for landscapes, concerts and any other telephoto work. There is no better DSLR on the market for this work. You could just point in the general direction shoot in raw, and "frame up" in post. It's THAT good with all those MPs. It excels in all other categories but there are better choices if you need high FPS or magical portraits (although I have taken some portraits with the d800 that literally took my breath away). The D3s is still being touted as among the finest Portrait digital cameras Nikon ever put out, and I love mine but if I am shooting a concert or landscape, it stays in the bag most of the time. Both cameras are exemplary.

I would highly recommend the D800 based on your BRIEF description of your needs. You will be very pleased with your choice.

1st you dont need to be a jerk....
2nd just wanted to let him know that he can get an amazing camera and save alot of money, i didnt told him not to buy the d800 or the 3s. Just recommended..

2nd just wanted to let him know that he can get an amazing camera and save alot of money, i didnt told him not to buy the d800 or the 3s. Just recommended..

1. My apologies for coming across as a jerk to you. It truly was not my intention.
2. I still don't want a Corvette even if it is a great car...

I read a post and then re-read it to be sure that what I am about to share is relevant and topical. Sometimes I get it wrong and it usually gets pointed out "Yeah but, That's not what I was asking" and I smack myself on the side of the head and redirect. Just saying...

I love the D600. I used one for 3 months and it was a GREAT camera. IMHO, there is no better entry-level Full Frame on the market today than the D600. The OP was asking about a PRO level FX though. That's all... Get it?

I don't think Sanddollars is being a jerk! lol! Just giving an opinion, and accurate information!

Really?

600-800.jpg

LOL
The Porshe-Ferrari-Corvette comparison is hardly accurate in this case. First, Porshe, Ferrari and Chevrolet are all different manufacturers. D800 and D3s and D600 are all same manufacturer. Second, the latest and greatest corvette will outpeform any Porshe in handling, top speed, acceleration, reliability and gas consumption (pretty much all aspects for that matter), the only reason Porshe is much more expensive is due to its "brand name",rarity and look. So with a corvette you get better performance in all aspects for a much lower price where as with a D800 you actually pay for more features and better performance over the D600. A more accurate analogy would be the OP suggested that he'd like to buy either a Porshe twin Turbo (D800) or Porshe GT Race Spec (D3S) but mentioned his main uses would be to pick up kids from school and run errands in City traffic. One would immediately suggest the Porshe SUV (D600) for much lower price for it's intended purpose. No one needs twin turbos to go grocery shopping in City traffic. Based on that, I would also recommend the Nikon D600 unless the features the D800 (twin turbos) and D3S (GT package) specifically offer are sought out by the OP and will be put to practical, frequent use. Nothing agains the D800 though, that camera rocks.

Hi -

I own both cameras and use them for very different purposes. I also carry them both when I shoot events as they are excellent, but at very different things. Hands down D800 is AMAZING for studio, landscape and places with plenty of light - and when shooting events with this I will usually use a flash. When I shoot without flash, where lighting is limited I always default to the D3S - it's noise control is MUCH better than the D800, frame rate is much better for quickly moving activity on stage and you can also get your shutter speed up when the lighting is low.

BTW, they are both great cameras - If I had to only use one, I do a lot more portrait work and the D800 is my default camera. the Dynamic range on it is also amazing......

both will work well for you, but if for a special purpose like concerts, decision is pretty easy......

The D800 averages around 12% more resolution than the D600, across the same set of 72 test lenses that DxO Mark owns. File size of the D800 is about 30% larger than that of the D600. The resolution difference between the two cameras is not really "all that much" using actual, real-world lenses. I think that most people would likely tend to predict that the difference in resolution would be much greater between the 24 and 36 MP sensors, but it's not. As I recall, megapixel count needs to be quadrupled in order to double resolution.

The biggest difference between the D3-series and the D600 and D800 are in ergonomics and camera controls, and the way the AF system can be user-controlled by the rear, 4-way controller; on the D800, the AF system has been "dumbed down" quite a bit, and the AF selector system has been, well, "dumbed down" through simplification. Ergonomically, and control-wise, Nikon made a big break between the D3 series and the D800; the D3s still has the old professional flagship type layout, where the D800 has more of a mid-level, simplified body control setup. If you're used to the old pro Nikons (like I am, having owned the D1, D1h, D2x,and D3x you very well might hate the D800 layout-- know I did).

Oh, this thread and its responses are priceless.

OP: Not to disrespect you, but if you have to ask if you should buy a D800 and if it'll suit your needs, then do you need a D800 (or a D3s)? Usually, people purchase these expensive bodies because they KNOW what they are capable of and need them because other bodies out there can't serve them the same purpose. OR, you might be that small percentage of the population that is super wealthy and has too much money. If that's the case, then I'll say, "Yes, the D800 is what you need." If you've already made up your mind on the D800 and you just want confirmation from us strangers to justify your purchase, then I'll still say, "Yes, the D800 is what you need." It's a great camera and I shoot with one - it can do a lot more than just shoot great shots of concerts and landscapes.

Enjoy your new D800 ;)

From what I know of the D800 and D3s, the D3s will have a little better low light performance but only slight. As for landscape, it is all on the D800, it will resolve 3x more detail than the D3s. So, for what you are wanting to do and given that you didn't even mention the D600, I think the D800 would be the better choice. You may however, want to take a look at the D600 as it may fill your needs and about 1,000 less than the D800. (jmho)

Most reactions

Back