Nikon D810 Internal Memory Buffer Replacement & Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see where Nikon should be supplying the D5 chip in the D810 just because they can. They want to fill a market segment and one way to keep the D810 in it's segment is to limit the buffer.
I think it's more about money.. why should a shutter bog down because the memory buffer gets full, and rather quick i might add? when all it takes is more memory..
it's all about making customers go out and give them more $$$

I don't see where Nikon should be supplying the D5 chip in the D810 just because they can. They want to fill a market segment and one way to keep the D810 in it's segment is to limit the buffer.
I think it's more about money.. why should a shutter bog down because the memory buffer gets full, and rather quick i might add? when all it takes is more memory..
it's all about making customers go out and give them more $$$

Two things:

Sony makes the "Alpha 99 II" which can shoot 42 Megapixel RAW at 12 fps, showcasing that fast high res cameras are possible today, i.e. a camera with the FPS of the D5 and a resolution above the D810. You can see that as "crippeling" on the Nikon side, or you can see that as a marketing strategy, a strategy for Nikon to survive the decreasing sales in a saturating market.

The D810 has Exspeed 4 image processor and not Exspeed 5 and features no extra chip for AF, which means slower "Multi-CAM 3500FX" instead of super fast "Multi-CAM 20K" with dedicated AF-processor like you can find them in the D5 and D500. And it means another WB-System and another ISO range with the same processor.

Ok, so from the original post:

"Then i went to work on my D810 and removed the chips from that, and replaced them with the memory from the D5,, Now this was a long shot i was not sure if the camera would even turn on and work after this, but low and behold yeah the camera turned on and worked fine..

Not only that, when i put the camera in continuous shooting mode and full raw image quality
for some reason the frames FPS rate increased to like 7 or 8 FPS
not sure why that was effected but i'll take that.. and not only that, i was never able to over fill the buffer to make it start to bog down to catch up, i tested this holding the shutter button for over 4 minutes and it never slowed down one bit.."

(emphasis mine)

And from your most recent posting:

"I never said i achieved the frame rate thing yet, How ever i did notice the shutter in continuous shooting test after the memory modification was a tad faster, now i didn't measure this with a stop watch and count how many images i got to see, but just sounded a tad faster, could be it just sounded like 1.5 seconds faster but hey that's a bit hard to calculate by listening to it..
How ever it is possible because the memory is faster and allowing less shutter lag who knows.."

(emphasis mine)

So yes, it all seems more than a bit dubious. In the end it's your camera, so by all means do whatever you want with it. Hopefully no one else will follow in your footsteps. Other than that I don't see much point in continued discussion on the topic, at least not for me. So I wish you well in your endeavor and move on.

Start turning D3400 into D7200,D7200 into D500 and D500 into D5.Yay

well, I dont know why everyone is doubting the OP...seems perfectly reasonable to me.
for example...I just picked up a "parts" D500 with broken body mounts for $100 on craigslist and swapped the entire D500 internal system into my old D100 body.
so now my D100 has a 20mp sensor and the multicam 20k with 153 focus points.
and since I have an actual picture, my story is clearly the more believable one.

nikon D100.JPG

well, I dont know why everyone is doubting the OP...seems perfectly reasonable to me.
for example...I just picked up a "parts" D500 with broken body mounts for $100 on craigslist and swapped the entire D500 internal system into my old D100 body.
and since I have an actual picture, my story is clearly the more believable one.

View attachment 132721
I don't know if it's people are paranoid these days, or just ignorant of computer Technology, lol

They don't seem to understand how this works, and that Camera's are nothing but Computers that operate mechanical parts.
Your Phone is a computer, Your Tablet is a computer, Your Camera is a computer, Hell these days even your cable box is a computer if it's the X1 Box for Xfinity..

They don't realize just how easy it is if you got any background in this what so ever you can pretty much do what you want if you know what your doing..
They also don't understand the Business aspect of Camera companies.

They don't understand to keep the costs down most Comptuer / Camera Manufactures, Make many models of their products, but most of them all use the same parts and computer components. and they just cripple some features on one model and allow it to function on other's..
most of the camera's models in the same class use the same shutter , or the same buttons or the same view screen or the same chips.
they do this because it cost money to build these parts, and so to keep the costs down they just build may of the same part and throw them in many of their models of their products..
When some one sends their D810 to repair the shutter they go on the shelf and grab the part number for that camera, and i bet you dollars to donuts that when they repair the D5 Shutter they grab that same part number off the shelf for the D810, and most likely all the D810 series or Full frame models..
they are probably all the same shutter same graphics card same firmware chip just different firmware programs burned on them..

Most of all the Nikon Camera models are the same stuff inside with some exceptions depending on what models your talking about.
Like the New Canon 80D uses most of the same stuff that the 70D, in fact they are basically the same camera with just a couple differences.

So until they understand all this , they will remain ignorant..

Donny

Nikon has deliberately made some terrible (for users) cost-cutting decisions in recent years, like the write mechanism in the D7100: OMG, like Thom Hogan mentioned...Nikon bought a LOT of cheap componentry, and put it in the D7100...what was the raw buffer limit? Was it six frames?

The D2x from 2004 (late 2004)had a 29-frame .NEF buffer, $4999 new. This was HOT s**+ when I bought it in May of 2005!!! 5 FPS in RAW 1.5x FOV, 8.2 FPS in High-Speed Crop Mode (2.0 FOV factor)

The D3x, $7999 new in 2009, same buffer, 28 to 29 frame in 12-bit .NEF mode...5 FPS.

Nikon has deliberately made some terrible (for users) cost-cutting decisions in recent years, like the write mechanism in the D7100: OMG, like Thom Hogan mentioned...Nikon bought a LOT of cheap componentry, and put it in the D7100...what was the raw buffer limit? Was it six frames?

The D2x from 2004 (late 2004)had a 29-frame .NEF buffer, $4999 new. This was HOT s**+ when I bought it in May of 2005!!! 5 FPS in RAW 1.5x FOV, 8.2 FPS in High-Speed Crop Mode (2.0 FOV factor)

The D3x, $7999 new in 2009, same buffer, 28 to 29 frame in 12-bit .NEF mode...5 FPS.
I believe the raw buffer limit is 4 frames after that it bogs down lol
D7100 is a great camera i have one, and the D7000, they are pretty much the same camera only one does a bit better video i believe..
But it works great, i don't use it as much any more but the D7100 does take great pictures..
Donny

View attachment 132721
I don't know if it's people are paranoid these days, or just ignorant of computer Technology, lol

They don't seem to understand how this works, and that Camera's are nothing but Computers that operate mechanical parts.
Your Phone is a computer, Your Tablet is a computer, Your Camera is a computer, Hell these days even your cable box is a computer if it's the X1 Box for Xfinity..

They don't realize just how easy it is if you got any background in this what so ever you can pretty much do what you want if you know what your doing..

They don't understand to keep the costs down most Comptuer / Camera Manufactures, Make many models of their products, but most of them all use the same parts and computer components. and they just cripple some features on one model and allow it to function on other's..
most of the camera's models in the same class use the same shutter , or the same buttons or the same view screen or the same chips.
they do this because it cost money to build these parts, and so to keep the costs down they just build may of the same part and throw them in many of their models of their products..
When some one sends their D810 to repair the shutter they go on the shelf and grab the part number for that camera, and i bet you dollars to donuts that when they repair the D5 Shutter they grab that same part number off the shelf for the D810, and most likely all the D810 series or Full frame models..
they are probably all the same shutter same graphics card same firmware chip just different firmware programs burned on them..

Most of all the Nikon Camera models are the same stuff inside with some exceptions depending on what models your talking about.
Like the New Canon 80D uses most of the same stuff that the 70D, in fact they are basically the same camera with just a couple differences.

Donny

hey, im with ya man...
I totally understand. which is why I made my totally awesome D100 hybrid.
we should get together some time and compare notes. might be a good business in this sort of thing.

The D3 was the Miliestone Game Changing camera that left Canon in the dirt for a while. The D3X was an interesting yet overpriced glimpse into a fauture that brought us the still unchallenged D600/610/750

Sony made the A7R2, another game changer mile stone because it is low ISO (same as the D810) high ISO (bettter than the D5) and high Density (42 Megapixels), yet Nikon did not yet deliver that to us, because they fear the D5 to look bad. So they might possibly sell a D5X for 9000 Euros with "the same ISO capability but better resolution and slower" ...

As Sony shows in the A99II the chip can even be as fast as the D5, but they only use the SLT Tech instead of DSLR tech.

D5X would be the thing for me,. even if it might be slower than the A99II...

In that case, a firmware hack could bring the camera up to speed.

View attachment 132721

Donny

hey, im with ya man...
I totally understand. which is why I made my totally awesome D100 hybrid.
we should get together some time and compare notes. might be a good business in this sort of thing.

Yeah that would be cool, exchange of ides always goes a long way..

Donny

The D3 was the Miliestone Game Changing camera that left Canon in the dirt for a while. The D3X was an interesting yet overpriced glimpse into a fauture that brought us the still unchallenged D600/610/750

Sony made the A7R2, another game changer mile stone because it is low ISO (same as the D810) high ISO (bettter than the D5) and high Density (42 Megapixels), yet Nikon did not yet deliver that to us, because they fear the D5 to look bad. So they might possibly sell a D5X for 9000 Euros with "the same ISO capability but better resolution and slower" ...

As Sony shows in the A99II the chip can even be as fast as the D5, but they only use the SLT Tech instead of DSLR tech.

D5X would be the thing for me,. even if it might be slower than the A99II...

In that case, a firmware hack could bring the camera up to speed.
yeah i've learned that Firmware has control of alot of aspects of the camera..
I believe that is one of the methods they use to cripple a camera of features that is available but not meant to be
used on that camera.. Just like Canon Did with the 60D / 50D.
The 60D has video capability, but the 50D does not, How ever the 50D is able to do video the only reason you can't
do it with the 50D is they crippled it with the firmware, that's where Magic Lantern came in ( Magic Lantern | Home )
Trammell Hudson, was the person who created the firmware replacement software.
many features in this firmware replacement, including enabling the video operations of the Canon 50D that was not
available out of the box..
Magic Lantern has been around sense 2009 and still out there..
Magic Lantern has been know to be a very stable Firmware software replacement, and i say replacement because that is what it is.
you install it in your Canon Camera just like you would upgrade your firmware from your manufacture, the same what, only Magic Lantern
replaces the entire firmware.

And it works for many models, so like i said most camera's use the same firmware structure, with small differences for specific models..
you got to be careful when replacing or upgrading your frimware, because that is the first thing that the camera looks for when you turn it on, if you
mess up the process of upgrading or replacing and it gets corrupt in some way of fails when writing to the chip, your screwed, you won't be able to boot your camera, and you would have to either Be able to Burn the firmware back on your Chip, or send it out to have a Tech do it for you.
Some things can cause shut a fail, like if your battery was too low and ran out of energy during the process and just simply turned off.
or a glitch just like in anything else like when your hard drive wrote a file and glitched and the file got corrupt and unusable..
Like i said if that happens during a firmware upgrade, your camera simply will not boot back up when you turn it on and render the camera useless until you get the firmware back on the chip..
That's why i never really upgrade my firmware when it's just a minor upgrade that really is pointless to take that chance, because this can become a major inconvenience and hassle..

I'd believe it.

Also I saw someone say it's not possible because the D5 files are much smaller. That's incorrect. They are the same if not larger in some cases then the D810

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I'd believe it.
Also I saw someone say it's not possible because the D5 files are much smaller. That's incorrect. They are the same if not larger in some cases then the D810

That is an interesting statement. If you do not compare apples with oranges, you will need the same scene, same lens, same ISO, bit depth, shutter speed, aperture and focus point to comare two camera files. In that case a camera with more megapixels will ALWAYS produce a larger unprocessed file. A RAW file is a list of photon count results. For 36 Megapixels the List is longer as it is for 21 Megapixels. Simple as that.

I'd believe it.

That is an interesting statement. If you do not compare apples with oranges, you will need the same scene, same lens, same ISO, bit depth, shutter speed, aperture and focus point to comare two camera files. In that case a camera with more megapixels will ALWAYS produce a larger unprocessed file. A RAW file is a list of photon count results. For 36 Megapixels the List is longer as it is for 21 Megapixels. Simple as that.

The D5 files are less compressed than a D810 on uncompressed I've used both. If you don't believe me try it yourself

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back