Nikon D810 Internal Memory Buffer Replacement & Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop spraying and praying. Problem solved.

Hey, you speak in toungues. Please enlight us upon the meaning of you post....

I was hoping for the video of it being done and then tested.
I'll tell ya what when and if i do the research on seeing if i can get the D810 to do 12 FPS like the D5 does, i'll make sure i record a video.. Donny

Even if the shutter can do it, the read out of the 36MP chip will not allow for that frame rate, because the data rate would be well above that of the D5.

Max speed of the D5 is 14 frames per second (without AF) x 21 Megapixels = 294 Megapixel per second, that is what the D5 can do with the chip tuned to fast read outs.

You claim to suck 7.5 frames per second x 36 Megapixels from your D810 = 270 Megapixels per second. You very probable reached the ceiling if your story has any discrenible relation to reality and is not just entertaining...

Who says it has no resell value? just because you wouldn't buy it doesn't meany any one else would not..
Who says i want to sell it? LOL

Well I wish you well with that one I guess. I can't imagine it's going to fly off the shelves. I can see the ad for it now.. One of a kind D810 - it's been internally modified by the owner to include parts from a D5. The warranty has been completely violated and if you have any problems at all with it no authorized repair center will touch it with a 10 foot pole. So any problems at all and you'll have the worlds most expensive paperweight on your hands...

And as far as what i did to the camera, that doesn't make it unstable because of what i did, Maybe because you have no experience or education in this field you think that automatically the camera is now no good lol..

Actually I used to repair laptops for a living. Not exactly the same as cameras, granted, but they have many of the same design considerations. Ran into more than a few guys like you who figured, it's just a chip.. it's just this, it's just that.. no reason why you can't just slap it in...

More than once I saw some guy thinking he could just drop in any old processor he wanted. My favorites where the guys who would modify their laptops with add on video cards because the board inside would support them - but the laptop was never designed to have an external video card installed.

99 times out of a hundred the results were the same - the laptop chassis and internal cooling systems were never designed to handle the extra heat of the video card, and it would overheat the system and usually fry the processor as a result. Yes, the card would "fit" in there with some modifications. But the rest of the system was never designed to accomodate it. So some pinhead would trash a perfectly good laptop because he thought he knew better than the engineers that designed it.

So no, I wouldn't consider myself an expert in camera repair - but I would never advocate anyone do what you've supposedly done to that D810. It's just incredibly foolish.

They don't send it to special people who have superpowers .LOL

So I guess you can take off your outfit then, Condescending Man...

here is the proof..
WOW Nikon D810

So your "proof" is that you told the same rather outlandish story before? I think you might want to hit the dictionary and look up the word "proof".

I was hoping for the video of it being done and then tested.
I'll tell ya what when and if i do the research on seeing if i can get the D810 to do 12 FPS like the D5 does, i'll make sure i record a video.. Donny

Even if the shutter can do it, the read out of the 36MP chip will not allow for that frame rate, because the data rate would be well above that of the D5.

Max speed of the D5 is 14 frames per second (without AF) x 21 Megapixels = 294 Megapixel per second, that is what the D5 can do with the chip tuned to fast read outs.

You claim to suck 7.5 frames per second x 36 Megapixels from your D810 = 270 Megapixels per second. You very probable reached the ceiling if your story has any discrenible relation to reality and is not just entertaining...
course the shutter can do it, it's the same shutter, i never said it would work for sure, i don't know yet, if it's roadblocked because the processor is slower on the D810 then it won't work, but if it's a matter of just changing the settings in the frimware chip then it will work, don't forget the Canon 50D doesn't do video out of the box, but if you use the firmware hack (Magic Lantern) you get video just like the Canon 60D.. Becuase they are really the same camera , it's just a intentional setting in the firmware that stops you..

I took the fredom to post this claim to a place where people do some really nerdy things with Nikon cameras and lenses, lots of scientists and engineers, always well documented with photos. If someone can testify or debunk this, it will be the Nikongear people. What the Nerds Do
Wow this means alot to you to debunk huh? never thought this would matter to you so much lol, well good luck they won't be able to debunk it because i did it..
lol

Good luck in your venture., what ever that may be..

I would still like to see a video of the super d810 in action.. Film it with your phone and hold the shutter button down. Shouldn't be that hard to prove what you have done. Or are you afraid the men in black might come after you?

course the shutter can do it, it's the same shutter, i never said it would work for sure, i don't know yet, if it's roadblocked because the processor is slower on the D810 then it won't work, but if it's a matter of just changing the settings in the frimware chip then it will work, don't forget the Canon 50D doesn't do video out of the box, but if you use the firmware hack (Magic Lantern) you get video just like the Canon 60D.. Becuase they are really the same camera , it's just a intentional setting in the firmware that stops you..

Ok, well a couple of things it doesn't look like you've considered. The D810's shutter mechanism may look similar to the D5's, but is it truly the same? Is it made of exactly the same components and to the same tolerance levels? Or is it possible that they may have used cheaper components in a similar design to save money?

Why is that important? Assuming the rest of this works your not giving the shutter the rest time it's accustomed too - your stressing it a lot more than the original design called for, and you might lessen the lifetime of that shutter dramatically.

Now the chip itself, from the original description you soldered it into the original board used by the 810.. but again, can that board accommodate that chip properly? Will that chip run hotter than it's predecessor? Draw more current? Can the board stand up to that? Even if it works initially are you not putting more stress on those components by having them operate outside their engineered tolerance level? What about the components around it in that area of the camera? Can they take the extra heat, and if so for how long before they begin to fail?

Other interesting thing to note. Originally you stated you did this already and gave us a FPS rate that you supposedly achieved. In this posting your talking about "if this works" and "I don't know yet" as if you haven't done it yet... so again, starting to strain credulity here.

I would still like to see a video of the super d810 in action.. Film it with your phone and hold the shutter button down. Shouldn't be that hard to prove what you have done. Or are you afraid the men in black might come after you?

Crap. I wore purple today. Lol

Tipp: If you make up stories you should stick to the "FACTS" you make up. Now go and check the two versions of the garage sale for several inconsistencies. I am just here for the Nachos...

The Nerds think I mistook 1/4/17 with 4/1/17

:alien::alien::alien::allteeth:

There is a spring loose somewhere

The D810 is one heck of of a camera as is, but if you did as you said kudos for that.

Tipp: If you make up stories you should stick to the "FACTS" you make up. Now go and check the two versions of the garage sale for several inconsistencies. I am just here for the Nachos...

The Nerds think I mistook 1/4/17 with 4/1/17

:alien::alien::alien::allteeth:

There is a spring loose somewhere
There is no inconsistencies, i even posted it in this topic..

Ok, well a couple of things it doesn't look like you've considered. The D810's shutter mechanism may look similar to the D5's, but is it truly the same? Is it made of exactly the same components and to the same tolerance levels? Or is it possible that they may have used cheaper components in a similar design to save money?

Why is that important? Assuming the rest of this works your not giving the shutter the rest time it's accustomed too - your stressing it a lot more than the original design called for, and you might lessen the lifetime of that shutter dramatically.

Now the chip itself, from the original description you soldered it into the original board used by the 810.. but again, can that board accommodate that chip properly? Will that chip run hotter than it's predecessor? Draw more current? Can the board stand up to that? Even if it works initially are you not putting more stress on those components by having them operate outside their engineered tolerance level? What about the components around it in that area of the camera? Can they take the extra heat, and if so for how long before they begin to fail?

Other interesting thing to note. Originally you stated you did this already and gave us a FPS rate that you supposedly achieved. In this posting your talking about "if this works" and "I don't know yet" as if you haven't done it yet... so again, starting to strain credulity here.

About the shutter, no i'm not 100% sure about the shutter, by looking at both they appear to be exactly the same.
But there is no guarantee's, if i want a guarantee i'll buy a toaster..

How ever i doubt they will make two separate shutter systems, when they can just use one they already manufacture, unless the build of it calls for a different layout.

about the chip, no the chip won't run hotter then the original chip, it's basically the same chip only more memory storage and the speed of it is faster.
Memory chips don't generally heat up, it's not a processor, totally different design type of a chip.

Example, you buy memory sticks for your computer that plug in the sockets, example 72 pin DDR3 4MB made by kingston.
or you can buy a 72 pin DDR 3 8 MB made by kingston, Now if you look at them 2 memory sticks they would look and appear to be exactly the same,
Until you read the print on it telling you it holds 8 MB vs 4 MB and maybe the speed of the memory could be different as well.
but both plug into the same socket, same computer, both compatible to each other , only one is better then the other..

as far as power drawing, yes the chip out of the D5 draws .3 more volts then the one from the D810,
but the power supply system for each camera is the same identacle unit, and the same part number as well. so the power is not an issue.. in fact
i check that to make sure, i do, my homework, i'm not a amateur when it comes to this,.
Both camera's are the same size with the exception of the D5 having the built in battery grip layout, not detachable.
and 1 extra button on one side of the front near the lens mount.
Also the graphics board are identacle, this is what gives your back display screen visual.
almost everything of both camera's are the same, with a few exceptions.

I never said i achieved the frame rate thing yet, How ever i did notice the shutter in continuous shooting test after the memory modification was a tad faster, now i didn't measure this with a stop watch and count how many images i got to see, but just sounded a tad faster, could be it just sounded like 1.5 seconds faster but hey that's a bit hard to calculate by listening to it..
How ever it is possible because the memory is faster and allowing less shutter lag who knows..

and as far as being 100% sure the shutter will handle this, NO not 100% like i said if i want a 100% guarantee i'll buy a toaster, but pretty sure.
but if i'm wrong then the shutter could screw up and start failing or doing funny things, or things i didn't anticipate.
But that is a very slim chance.

If i have any doubt in anything what so ever i will not go forward with trying to get the shutter speed the D5 has, on the D810..
I'ts not all that important to me. How ever the ability to hold the shutter button down and not ever get any shutter bog because of filling up the memory is something i do care about , hell Nikon should design all their camera's to not shut down because of you want to use the continuous shooting feature..
that's really stupid.. They could very well put the correct memory to not allow the camera to stop shooting because of buffer fill.
Hell when you had film and attached a speed winder to your camera you could get the full continuous shooting until your film was depleted..

But as i said before it's all about money, if customers want to do continuous shooting as it should be, they want you to pay for it..
So they want you to get the camera they designed specific for that task, The D5, How ever 2 or 3 grand more. LOL

Think about the differences mechanically and circuit board wise, there is not much difference between the two camera's with the exception to
a different amount of memory and battery grip feature and small other things, the cost to manufacture both of these camera's are probably very similar, maybe couple hundred dollars more to manufacture the D5, but get a 2 to 3 thousand dollar return profit..

Of course they don't want every one to be aware of this and their is probably no way to prove it, but business is business..
This is why Nikon's executive team, pulls in 1.2 mil a year or more, with Free mercedes to drive around in and, a $100,000 expense account each year LOL

Any way when i get the time i'll look into the shutter speed thing i'm almost sure that it would work with just a new Firmware programing.
But not sure just yet.

Also could be computer component like a different resister value as well, holding back the power to the shutter motor when pressing the shutter button.
that would be a simple mod, just replace the correct resister with a less value.. working in the same way of a blinking LED the more resistance the slower the pulse..

Research is where it's at.

Donny

Last edited:
I don't see where Nikon should be supplying the D5 chip in the D810 just because they can. They want to fill a market segment and one way to keep the D810 in it's segment is to limit the buffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back